Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released iOS 17.3.1 and iPadOS 17.3.1, minor updates for the iOS 17 and iPadOS operating systems that were released in September 2023. iOS 17.3.1 and iPadOS 17.3.1 comes a few weeks after Apple released iOS 17.3 with Stolen Device Protection.

iOS-17.3.1-Feature.jpg

iOS 17.3.1 and iPadOS 17.3.1 can be downloaded on eligible iPhones and iPads over-the-air by going to Settings > General > Software Update.

According to Apple's release notes, the update includes a fix for a bug that could cause text to unexpectedly duplicate or overlap while typing.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 17.3.1 With Fix for Text Bug

Last edited:

Hogswarts

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2022
We need this fix on macOS, too! (and I expect to see it shortly)
When the bug strikes, it's scary... raises questions about the integrity of anything one is writing and what the text actually says that will be sent (in iMessage or Mail).

Orizaba

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
The issue I have is that sometimes my iMessage threads will disappear and only SMS messages will be shown.
I would change Apple ID passwords, someone could be logged into your ID from another device and messing with your iMessage threads (that wont be able to delete your SMS remotely). Just in case...

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple today released iOS 17.3.1 and iPadOS 17.3.1, minor updates for the iOS 17 and iPadOS operating systems that were released in September 2023. iOS 17.3.1 and iPadOS 17.3.1 comes a few weeks after Apple released iOS 17.3 with Stolen Device Protection.

According to Apple's release notes, the update includes a fix for a bug that could cause text to unexpectedly duplicate or overlap while typing.
I actually encountered that duplication or overwrite graphics bug a lot. Especially when cutting and pasting in MacRumors forum posts using a iPad.

Gengar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2022
Kanto Region
I would change Apple ID passwords, someone could be logged into your ID from another device and messing with your iMessage threads (that wont be able to delete your SMS remotely). Just in case...
Nah it's not an issue like that. It's like this:

I'm in the messages app. I tap on a contact. The iMessages sent back and forth don't show. Just the SMS messages that occasionally sent. I swipe back. Go back to that contact. All of the messages show. It's just a bug.

Another one I have is the keyboard popping up in the Search screen when unlocking my iPhone -- either Spotlight Search when unlocking and going to the Home Screen, or Apple Music, if unlocking and going directly to the Music app.

Of course there's also the low resolution album artwork bug too, if you resume playback after a while being out of the Music app.

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
Appears the Notifications bug is fixed with this release. Nice & smooth now when you swipe up from the Lock Screen. 13 Mini.

Edit: Still messed up on my wife’s 14 Pro. She has a photo on her wallpaper & 13 Mini just has black background. Could have something to do with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reverend Benny

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Another one I have is the keyboard popping up in the Search screen when unlocking my iPhone -- either Spotlight Search when unlocking and going to the Home Screen, or Apple Music, if unlocking and going directly to the Music app.
i’ve had this too, not in the Music app but on the lock screen.

Orizaba

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
Nah it's not an issue like that. It's like this:

I'm in the messages app. I tap on a contact. The iMessages sent back and forth don't show. Just the SMS messages that occasionally sent. I swipe back. Go back to that contact. All of the messages show. It's just a bug.

Of course there's also the low resolution album artwork bug too, if you resume playback after a while being out of the Music app.
Ahhh ok, it is a different issue, hope it gets fixed in this update!

AlanMarron

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2023
The issue I have is that sometimes my iMessage threads will disappear and only SMS messages will be shown.
I’m so disgusted with Messages failing to sync between my iPhone, my MacBook, and my iPad, I’ve decided to park my iPad for now. Apple insists on inserting new features that I don’t use but lets bugs persist. Pffft.

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
Also, unlocking my S7 watch (latest watch OS 9) when I unlock my phone is much faster now. I noticed this pretty quickly because I wash my hands a lot & it got to annoying with how long it took before this update. Specifically, to the 13 mini Home Screen when unlocking.

Reactions: addamas

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA

iOS-17.3.1-Feature.jpg

iOS 17.3.1 and iPadOS 17.3.1 can be downloaded on eligible iPhones and iPads over-the-air by going to Settings > General > Software Update.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 17.3.1 With Fix for Text Bug
Done done it. And old 5SE got 15.8.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.