MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

195727-gm_500.png

Apple has released the Golden Master (GM) version of iOS 4.2 to developers this evening. The GM build is typically the final shipping build that will eventually reach customers. According to MacStories, AirPlay has returned as a feature to YouTube playback -- a feature that was inexplicably missing in the last developer release.

Apple originally detailed the upcoming features of iOS 4.2 back in September. The focus of the update will be to bring the iPad up to speed with other iOS 4.x features such as multitasking and folders, but it also introduces a few new features across all devices. New features include:

- Printing: Print mail, photos, web pages, and more directly to a printer on a wireless network.
- AirPlay: Wirelessly stream videos, music, and photos from iPad to the new Apple TV, and stream music to AirPlay speakers or receivers, including AirPort Express.

iOS 4.2 was expected to be released in November, and with the GM release, Apple appears to be on target.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 4.2 Golden Master to Developers

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Can't wait for the new iCal support (haven't had it on my iPad for months due to the new system).

Airplay is also VERY welcoming, as is multitasking and folders.

Hating the return of the Mute switch though. I would much rather it be the orientation lock on the iPad.

Comment

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
I want it now!!!!!!!

macrumors should post new jailbreaks, so only need to check one site constantly

Comment

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
I agree! I'm sure a jailbreak tweak will come out to keep the orientation lock.

I don't know, i have never used the orientation switch on my ipad. what exactly do you use it for? on the other hand, there are tons of times when I wish i had a mute switch!

Comment

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
Cool - my exams will be over around the same time 4.2 should hit general release, and I've got a prize for a film-comp coming hopefully that week too! Shaping up to be a great start to my summer!

Comment

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
I'm very hesitant to install this to my iPad since beta 1 was so horrible. I could not even use zinio, sports illustrated, people magazine and the wall street journal. The rendering of the pages was extremely slow. If anyone can confirm that this GM release improves the performance of magazines I will install it.

Comment

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
I'm very hesitant to install this to my iPad since beta 1 was so horrible. I could not even use zinio, sports illustrated, people magazine and the wall street journal. The rendering of the pages was extremely slow. If anyone can confirm that this GM release improves the performance of magazines I will install it.

All that was fixed in Beta 2.

Comment

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
hope this fixes the intermittent home button problem and the flash on the screen that happens when u slide to unlock.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.