Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
anyone confirm if you can finally delete podcasts that didn't download due to file size limitations over 3g? without doing a restore??

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Then no future update will. I wonder if its now gone for 3GS & 4 users. Don't get why we 4S users can't have it but they can???

Unfortunately, we have no idea "why". It was not in 5.0, but then it was back in the 5.1 betas, but then disappeared again in 5.1 final. We know they "can" do it because it worked fine in those betas. And most if not all of the international carriers support it. I started a thread some time back trying to figure it out and we discovered it was basically just the 4S on AT&T that lacked it. Very very strange, and horrible for me personally. :(

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Unfortunately, we have no idea "why". It was not in 5.0, but the it was back in the 5.1 betas, but then disappeared again in 5.1 final. We know they "can" do it because it worked fine in those betas. And most if not all of the international carriers support it. I started a thread some time back trying to figure it out and we discovered it was basically just the 4S on AT&T that lacked it. Very very strange, and horrible for me personally. :(

Is it possibly due to the hardware? I have a UK unlocked iPhone and I got the 3G toggle back in 5.1.

Its stupid AT&T. God only knows why they allow it on the 3GS and 4. None of their androids have the option either.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
grrrr still getting my annoying "37 apps couldnt be updated" error message because one of the apps is no longer in the appstore and it gets confused EVERYTIME i try to update something

laflores

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
Costa Rica
If Apple normalizes to the language "the new iPad" going forward in all communication it will always be true depending on which iPad has most recently been released and on what date the statement is uttered.

Rocketman

"The old new iPad", and "the new new iPad"...

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
grrrr still getting my annoying "37 apps couldnt be updated" error message because one of the apps is no longer in the appstore and it gets confused EVERYTIME i try to update something

Is that what is happening? I have had 6 apps in iTunes claiming to be updatable for over a year. I even went through and trashed all my apps, added them one by one, and finally got rid of the few that wouldn't update. The next week, it came back. So annoying!

(and yes, I realize, "first world problem" - I love that term LOL :) )

healage

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
The current update is 47.3 on my iPhone 4 but it won't allow me to update over 3G.

Same here. But I can go to the iTunes music store right now and re-download over a gigabyte worth of music that I've purchased from iTunes over 3G. Makes no sense!

RickyB

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Is it possibly due to the hardware? I have a UK unlocked iPhone and I got the 3G toggle back in 5.1.

I think there must be a carrier setting. I can do it on my IPhone 4S which is locked to O2 UK. I suspect phones locked to 3 UK won't allow it, certainly I had a Sony Ericsson a few years ago and 3 wouldn't allow me to turn off 3G.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
They are available to download over 3G if they are lower than 50Mb.

The current update is 47.3 on my iPhone 4 but it won't allow me to update over 3G.

Indeed

Same here. But I can go to the iTunes music store right now and re-download over a gigabyte worth of music that I've purchased from iTunes over 3G. Makes no sense!

I can tether my iPhone with my computer, download iTunes (73.2MB) and then download the full update (783MB) and install it over USB.

Yet I can't download the 47.3MB update on the phone.

That's how crazy the restrictions in iOS are

I think there must be a carrier setting. I can do it on my IPhone 4S which is locked to O2 UK. I suspect phones locked to 3 UK won't allow it, certainly I had a Sony Ericsson a few years ago and 3 wouldn't allow me to turn off 3G.

Yes, it's a carrier setting

Attachments

• Photo 07-05-2012 19 05 55.png
    Photo 07-05-2012 19 05 55.png
    133.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
Been wondering what caused that message, it's been seriously bugging me and wouldn't even stop after deleting the app in question.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Is that what is happening? I have had 6 apps in iTunes claiming to be updatable for over a year. I even went through and trashed all my apps, added them one by one, and finally got rid of the few that wouldn't update. The next week, it came back. So annoying!

(and yes, I realize, "first world problem" - I love that term LOL :) )

Something to try (although I hope 5.1.1 fixes this):

* If your device is connected to your computer, make sure iTunes is closed.
* Close the App Store on your device (open task switcher, tap & hold icon, hit close).
* Go to /var/mobile/Media/Downloads/ (use iFile, SSH, or SFTP if jailbroken, or use iExplorer if not jailbroken).
* Delete the downloads.28.sqlitedb file. Done!

Some issues I've had with 5.0.x and 5.1:

- On my 4S, all cellular network stuff seems to die sometimes (rare). Switching airplane mode on/off is the quickest way I know of to fix it.
- With notes, sometimes the top of the note (the back, Done, and new buttons) just disappears. I have to start editing a note, force-close the app, then open it back up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.