Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
f.lux is available for Macs, though it would be nice to have that feature native in OS X. In the meantime:

https://justgetflux.com/

Be sure to uncheck "Automatically Adjust Brightness" in your Control Panel System Preferences otherwise you may see some flickering.

Yeah, this is what I've literally just downloaded. Impressed so far. I also have auto brightness checked, but it seems you have to choose a 'base' level on a Mac and then it just changes it up when the ambient room light gets brighter.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Better here (while downloading 6.2GB 10.11.4 full installer):

View attachment 622257

The weird thing is, you start the download and can get the first 15-30% of the file at ungodly speeds (on the university connection here, over 600mbps!!) then it slows down to that crawl (about 5-10 megabits) from then on.

It's as if some sort of bandwidth throttling is going on; TCP/IP doesn't behave that way naturally unless you have some kind of shaping.
[doublepost=1458592024][/doublepost]
Did anyone else notice that when upgrading via iTunes, their iPhone restarted and asked them to enter their passcode before it would install the update? I don't mean the usual unlocking the phone to allow iTunes to access it, but a new screen (not seen it before) that wouldn't let the update install without a passcode. Sounds like a new plan to stop people forcing an upgrade onto the phone via iTunes....

This has always been the case with iTunes update.

The reason for this is that entering your passcode is required to unlock the phone's encryption before the update can resume installing. The update is actually partially installed at that point; it needs to then finish.

You normally have to enter your passcode after a restart anyway. Notice that when the update was done, you didn't have to enter your passcode and could just touch ID.

Reactions: Fyxxxr

wowsaab

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
I really want them to give us the ability to make a playlist from "hearted" music. Man that would be awesome.
Heart playlist is a must. They are slowly improving Apple Music even though I still see a lot of grayed out songs. This update rids the 'rating' view when you hit the artist name and instead brings you to the album. An obvious must fix that I'm happy to see.

lodolfo

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
ok, I got ask now:

is apple getting out of the computer business?

My guess is advancements in PCs are not as impressive as in mobile, so they may not feel it's justified to release new Macs as often. This may not sound like a good justification to people with 6 year old Macs waiting for the next batch to upgrade and who aren't willing to upgrade to Macs that came out more than a year ago, and paying premium prices to do so, but that's a possible explanation why they haven't announced anything in the Mac front.

barrera_facundo

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2015
NightShift does not work on iPad Mini 1, c'mon Apple really? What's the huge requirement that it can't run on this device?...

I'm so tired of this ******* company!

Reactions: g-7 and mkeeley

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The note locking doesn't even work. That was the only thing I was looking forward to in 9.3
Do you have the password option enabled in Settings > Notes ?
[doublepost=1458592511][/doublepost]
NightShift does not work on iPad Mini 1, c'mon Apple really? What's the huge requirement that it can't run on this device?...

I'm so tired of this ******* company!
64-bit?

AdamJD

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
iOS 9.2 already worked faster than 8.x on iPhone 4S, you can see it in youtube. I can assure you, iOS9 works as fast as iOS8 already on iPhone5, so there's no speed differences with iOS8 and iOS9 on iPhone 5s.

We have 2 4s phones in the house. One is on 8.x (16GB) - it's a little slower, but fine. One is on 9.2 (32GB) - it's unusably slow...HORRIBLE performance. Sometimes I can't even pick up a phone call. Both have plenty of free space. That's a real-world take.

dbogus1

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
Yes. However the option to lock the note doesn't show up on either my iPad or iPhone.

Check the share sheet when you are editing a note..there is the option to "Lock Note". This adds a lock to the note that you can toggle on/off from the note's edit screen. You can also remove the lock via the share sheet. It looks like locks are note specific, but locking / unlocking is global..all notes get unlocked / locked at the same time.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Check the share sheet when you are editing a note..there is the option to "Lock Note". This adds a lock to the note that you can toggle on/off from the note's edit screen. You can also remove the lock via the share sheet. It looks like locks are note specific, but locking / unlocking is global..all notes get unlocked / locked at the same time.
There is no option to lock note in my share sheet.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Anyone else having issue with third-party Lightning cables after the update to 9.3? I have several Anker Lightning cables, supposedly Apple MFi certified, that have worked fine until now. Tried restarting the phone to no avail. This is happening with an iPhone 6 Plus and iPad mini 3, using three different Anker cables all with the same result. Apple-branded cables work fine.

Thanks Apple.
Been using Anker cables myself and they all work fine through all betas and still today with the release. Something wrong on your end it would appear.
The note locking doesn't even work. That was the only thing I was looking forward to in 9.3

There is no option to lock note in my share sheet.
The notes have to be created in iCloud or on device. Cant be in google notes for example. (see the top left to get to the groups of notes)

brianlbaker

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
A sound policy. Unless there's a must-have feature in the new OS, I'd say perhaps even longer than three days.
Or immediately if you've been running all the Public Betas up through 7, and am satisfied - as I have and am.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Very smooth update here from beta 7 to official release. 1.7GB and version 13E234. AT&T Carrier update to 24.1 as well.
BTW, I still have the Beta Profile enabled in Settings so I'm guessing that means the next beta should show up nicely.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Been using Anker cables myself and they all work fine through all betas and still today with the release. Something wrong on your end it would appear.

The notes have to be created in iCloud or on device. Cant be in google notes for example. (see the top left to get to the groups of notes)
Oh Ok. I didn't know this. I have 2 iCloud notes and they have the option to lock. Thanks for this I understand now :)

hybrid_x

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2004
Teh Interwebz
I believe you have to "upgrade" your Notes app to be compatible with Notes on El Capitan before password protection will work. None of my machines are running El Cap, so I haven't upgraded yet.

I'm disappointed that Night Shift requires 64-bit hardware. I was really looking forward to it on my iPhone 5.

BTW, my Anker lightning cable (with the braided outer sheath) is working fine.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Upgraded OTA no issues, 310mb for my 6S it would seem. Notes locking working fine as I use iCloud notes. Don't seem to have some of the new 3D Touch options though!

Got the settings ones but not App Store or anything at all on weather.

elmas1980

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2016
We have 2 4s phones in the house. One is on 8.x (16GB) - it's a little slower, but fine. One is on 9.2 (32GB) - it's unusably slow...HORRIBLE performance. Sometimes I can't even pick up a phone call. Both have plenty of free space. That's a real-world take.
9.3 is way better than both on 4S.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Upgraded OTA no issues, 310mb for my 6S it would seem. Notes locking working fine as I use iCloud notes. Don't seem to have some of the new 3D Touch options though!

Got the settings ones but not App Store or anything at all on weather.
You have to open the app and then force close it. After you do that the 3D touch options show up when you press on the app icon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.