Apple Releases iPhone OS 4 Beta 3 and SDK to Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Following a trend of biweekly releases it established with earlier developer seeds of iPhone OS 3.2 for iPad, Apple has released the third beta version of iPhone OS 4 and the associated Software Development Kit (SDK). Available to registered developers via the iPhone Dev Center, the third beta is a refinement of the operating system and developer tools initially released in early April alongside a media event to introduce the next-generation software for Apple's iPhone OS devices.

No details on changes included in the new beta have yet been detailed.

Apple is expected to publicly release iPhone OS 4 to iPhone and iPod touch users "this summer", although early models of those devices will not be compatible with the new OS and even some newer models will not be able to take advantage of all of the features. iPhone OS 4 will come to the iPad "in the fall".

Article Link: Apple Releases iPhone OS 4 Beta 3 and SDK to Developers

j-a-x

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I wonder if it fixes the camera bug introduced in Beta 2. It's hard to test software when you can't save photos!

EDIT:
(from Apple)
Camera
FIXED: The camera (photo/video) and screen shots functionality is broken.

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
I wonder if it fixes the camera bug introduced in Beta 2. It's hard to test software when you can't save photos!

EDIT:
(from Apple)
Camera
FIXED: The camera (photo/video) and screen shots functionality is broken.
Yes, it's fixed. I repeat ... The camera is fixed.

Not much else in the release notes detailing fixes that end-users will notice. Mostly API changes.

FindMyiPhone is still broken.

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
That really wasn't necessary, but okay. I repeat ... it's okay.

NOBODY PANIC!!!
Yeah smart guy... In a couple of hours this thread will be a few pages long. People will skim read looking for the word camera. I just made it easier. Unlike you, I was contributing something - albeit a few seconds late.

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Camera is said to work fine now though mine did in Beta 2.. Just send the pictures upside down via Mail.

picklesmand

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Was anyone else here getting terrible battery life on a 3GS with beta 2? Even if I did almost nothing, the battery would drain to ~50% by the time I got home at night.

simoneves

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2003
Is there a published list of known problems for the previous Beta releases?

I put Beta 1 on my iPhone 3G when it first came out, just to see what all the fuss was about, but was unable to downgrade again due to the baseband firmware issue (I tried irecover or whatever it's called, but it didn't seem to work).

Anyway, I have stuck with Beta 1 (I read enough bad things about Beta 2 to know to ignore it), but with the following problems...

1) SLOOOW

2) Mail doesn't display HTML-formatted mail properly (it displays the raw ASCII "this message is partially formatted with MIME/html" or whatever text, and usually truncates it)

3) Phone refuses to turn off after a few days use and recharge cycles. You then have to let it run flat to reboot it, after which it's fine again for a few more days.

I guess I'm just wondering if these are known issues... just interested from a software development point of view...

1080p

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Why is that page one news?
Why do people come on here an bitch about what makes it to page 1? You don't agree with MacRumors? You have a couple of options:

1. Don't come to MacRumors. Go to TUAW or another competitor. (They also reported this news, BTW.)

2. Don't go to any news site. (More full-proof than #1.)

3. Start your own Apple site/blog. Report what you want to report and see if you get a percentage of the traffic MacRumors gets.

:cool::apple:

Neurobit

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
United States
Ditto on the crappy batt life w/ b2

Was anyone else here getting terrible battery life on a 3GS with beta 2? Even if I did almost nothing, the battery would drain to ~50% by the time I got home at night.
Yup, my battery was draining in just a four/five hours, in addition to the other major slowness, etc, so after running beta 2 for a couple of days I went back to beta 1 and have been running it w/o any issues for the last two weeks.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Is there a published list of known problems for the previous Beta releases?

I put Beta 1 on my iPhone 3G when it first came out, just to see what all the fuss was about, but was unable to downgrade again due to the baseband firmware issue (I tried irecover or whatever it's called, but it didn't seem to work).

Anyway, I have stuck with Beta 1 (I read enough bad things about Beta 2 to know to ignore it), but with the following problems...

1) SLOOOW

2) Mail doesn't display HTML-formatted mail properly (it displays the raw ASCII "this message is partially formatted with MIME/html" or whatever text, and usually truncates it)

3) Phone refuses to turn off after a few days use and recharge cycles. You then have to let it run flat to reboot it, after which it's fine again for a few more days.

I guess I'm just wondering if these are known issues... just interested from a software development point of view...
That was foolish, they publicly state that you can't downgrade from betas. I'm sticking with iPhone Beta 1 for now, it's been really stable compared to the second... too early to know how the third is doing.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Downloading beta 3 now. Not sure if I'm going to install it (until I hear a little more about it). Beta 2 only sucked because of the camera. It was just a tad speedier than beta 1 (although both were extremely slow). So, for the past couple of weeks, I've been on 3.1.3.

Will wait to hear the differences first.

Neurobit

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
United States
Downloading beta 3 now. Not sure if I'm going to install it (until I hear a little more about it). Beta 2 only sucked because of the camera. It was just a tad speedier than beta 1 (although both were extremely slow). So, for the past couple of weeks, I've been on 3.1.3.

Will wait to hear the differences first.
I didn't have such good luck with b2. It was noticeably slower, (took forever to open emails, etc, and it got really warm when running everyday apps (and drained the battery in just a few hours).

b1 has been nice, speedier than 3.1 and no major issues. Cross fingers that b3 has addressed these issues.

NB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.