Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released an iTunes 12.12.8 update for Windows, with the software introducing security improvements and "support for new devices." This is the first update to iTunes since iTunes 12.12.7, which came out in December 2022.

itunes-for-windows.jpg

The "new devices" that Apple mentions in the launch notes for the update likely pertain to the HomePod, which was released in January 2023. Apple at the time also introduced new 14 and 16-inch MacBook Pro models and refreshed versions of the Mac mini.

iTunes for Windows can be downloaded from the Microsoft Store or from Apple's website.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 12.12.8 for Windows

Ctrlos

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2022
I can honestly say I never thought id see the day when Apple prioritise Windows over OSX. I really miss iTunes on the Mac and dislike the separate apps and finder based management.

People like to knock it as a media management platform but honestly I cannot think of anything better. What else AM I supposed to use? Winamp? Songbird?!

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Hmm, I'd be interested in this if I were still using my iPod Classic. Still have it, so it's not out of the question. Hopefully, iTunes doesn't have to eat up a GB or something like that is all.

I can honestly say I never thought id see the day when Apple prioritise Windows over OSX. I really miss iTunes on the Mac and dislike the separate apps and finder based management.

People like to knock it as a media management platform but honestly I cannot think of anything better. What else AM I supposed to use? Winamp? Songbird?!
I still use Winamp (2.8.1) to play songs.

Last edited:
Reactions: progx and zapmymac

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
iTunes for Windows is where I have all my music. It works very well. Any new music I get goes straight into iTunes. I don't have a problem with it on Windows at all. It deals with my music and it backs up my iPhone. Don't use macOS anymore as I'm not happy with it, so iTunes for Windows it is.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2022
I'm honestly glad this exists, using the default media player on Windows to manage a music collection is kinda painful. 😅

Reactions: zapmymac

Insidious

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
I used to use iTunes for Windows, but there was a character limit on filenames that was a problem for me as I was managing a very large music library. I switched to Mac and haven't looked back since. I wonder if the character limit is still an issue these days.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Whining? Those were legitimate complaints. iTunes was hot garbage. I'm surprised it took Apple as long as it did to fix the mess.

It's not fixed. Spreading the mess around didn't fix anything. Now you have people who get upset their iPod or iPhone won't show up in Music.app because they don't realize it has to be managed in the Finder.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I miss iTunes for the Mac. Clueless Cook has canceled useful Apple products such as iTunes, AirPort, etc.
Don't understand what you miss about it. The Music, Podcast & TV apps are all great and work as intended.

Music does need a revamp across all Apple platforms but even in its current state its still a trillion times better than what iTunes was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.