Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

newitunes122logo-250x245.jpg
Apple today released iTunes 12.5.3, which is available for macOS Sierra and OS X El Capitan users.

iTunes 12.5.3's changelog lists the same stability and performance improvements as iTunes 12.5.2, including a fix for an issue where albums may play in an unexpected order. A second fix resolves a problem that prevented lyrics from appearing while listening to Beats 1.

iTunes 12.5.3 can be downloaded immediately from the iTunes download page, and it should also be rolling out through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

iTunes 12.5.3 has been released just four days after iTunes 12.5.2, and just over six weeks after iTunes 12.5.1 was released with a revamped Apple Music design.

Update: iTunes 12.5.3 has the same update changelog as iTunes 12.5.2 released last week, so what's new in today's update remains unclear. We will update this article if and when we learn more information.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 12.5.3 [Updated]

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA

newitunes122logo-250x245.jpg
Apple today released iTunes 12.5.3, which is available for macOS Sierra and OS X El Capitan users. iTunes 12.5.3 includes stability and performance improvements, including a fix for an issue where albums may play in an unexpected order. The new version also resolves a problem that prevented lyrics from appearing while listening to Beats 1.

iTunes 12.5.3 can be downloaded immediately from the iTunes download page, and it should also be rolling out through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

iTunes 12.5.3 has been released just four days after iTunes 12.5.2, and just over six weeks after iTunes 12.5.1 was released with a revamped Apple Music design.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 12.5.3 With Album Playback and Beats 1 Lyrics Fixes
Fixed that for ya ...

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Perhaps they fix the album cover issue on windows on 120% scaling? nahhhh

there's nothing on apple software update....downloading manually...

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
recently played in Apple Music "for you" still not working (which songs although radio stations appear) whilst it works fine on iPhone and Apple TV.

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
Given all of the quirks introduced in the past year, I don't think they bother testing anything that isn't directly related to Apple Music.

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
For me it's losing your place every...single...time you leave song view. Insert a CD, lose your place. Check out the iTunes Store, lose your place. Switch to a playlist, lose your place. I'm re-ripping my collection, so I've lost about half of the hair that was on my scalp when I started this process.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
For me it's losing your place every...single...time you leave song view. Insert a CD, lose your place. Check out the iTunes Store, lose your place. Switch to a playlist, lose your place. I'm re-ripping my collection, so I've lost about half of the hair that was on my scalp when I started this process.

It is even worse with Apple Music. I honestly cannot understand how people can tolerate this at all. In many places, iTunes feels like a very sluggish website with extensive JavaScript contents that are not cached properly when you are switching from page to page, instead ‘reverting’ to their default state. It would not surprise me if iTunes is aggressively evicting such web-view pages from memory to keep the overall memory usage low, resulting in ‘losing your place’. The whole experience is excruciatingly slow too, like a bloated website such as Facebook.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Removed ability to delete songs from smart playlists, WTAF?
*GASP* I didn't know you could do that!? So even when the smart list auto updates, if I delete a song from it never comes back into that list? Or, is that how it worked before the update?

ErikGrim

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Oh, so you can't just delete it to exclude a particular song from a smart playlist but keep it in your library?
No, that would run counter to how smart playlists work. If you want to exclude a particular song, either uncheck it or edit the smart playlist criteria to exclude it.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Hey, is your App Update history list showing for you? It completely disappeared for me with the 10.12.1 update.
I have no history either since 10.12.1, this iTunes update was downloaded when I woke my mac this morning but nothing is listed, there is no app store history :eek:

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Oh, so you can't just delete it to exclude a particular song from a smart playlist but keep it in your library?

That's what I thought he meant too. There is a manual workaround if you want to do this, just add an additional rule to the Smart Playlist you're using to only include tracks - for example - that aren't called (name of the track you want to delete from the playlist) or aren't by the artist you wish to exclude

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.