Apple Releases iTunes 12.7 With Major Changes, Including No Built-In App Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In a day filled with surprises, Apple has shocked us once again with the release of iTunes 12.7, which entirely revamps the iTunes App. The new iTunes is designed to focus solely on music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and audiobooks, which means there is no built-in App Store.

[​IMG]

The App Store has been entirely eliminated in iTunes 12.7, as has the ringtones section of iTunes. Internet Radio is now part of Music, and iTunes U has been folded into Podcasts, as Apple announced in late August.

[​IMG]

Apps can now only be downloaded on an iOS device using an iOS device, and the same goes for ringtones. In addition to the removal of the App Store, today's update adds support for syncing iOS 11 devices and includes support for new Apple Music features that allow you to follow friends and see what they're listening to.
    The new iTunes 12.7 update can be downloaded from the Mac App Store through the Software Update mechanism. The update is available for all iTunes users at no cost.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 12.7 With Major Changes, Including No Built-In App Store

2. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

Great decision Apple. Who downloads iOS apps on their Mac anyway?

Anything that removes bloat from iTunes is good for me.

3. randyhudson macrumors regular

I guess there's no more way to install a previous version of an App when a developer releases a newer version full of advertisements/bugs. I went back to the older versions of Shazam, IMDB, TWC, etc., before they sucked.

4. HiVolt macrumors 6502

HiVolt

I hope iTunes backups still back up the Apps, so you don't have to freakin re-download them all when doing a restore.

And so much for being able to keep .IPA backups of older apps no longer sold or on the app store, that you've purchased.

5. mattaaron macrumors newbie

Loving all these Apple announcements today

6. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

7. Chastepe macrumors member

8. fastasleep macrumors 6502

fastasleep

Curious how this affects people who still backup their iOS devices and apps to iTunes. I'm actually fine with them removing the ability to store iOS apps on the Mac, I know they were moving away from that. Just wondering what happens when you upgrade, if you've been doing it that way? Does it throw all those out? Are all the local iOS device sync/backup options still there?

9. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

Suspect this might help?
    Apps: Looking for your past iOS app downloads? Learn how to redownload apps on your iOS device.

In any case, older versions can have security issues so not sure thats a best practice...

10. Rob_2811 macrumors 65816

I love a bit of dry humour..

11. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I hope someone check that out before downloading it here. I don't use iCloud backups

12. macintoshmac macrumors 65816

macintoshmac

I’m interested in knowing how to save copies of apps to my computer if I wish to. Sometimes I do not want to download/ update.

13. Appleaker, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

Appleaker macrumors 68000

People are saying this is a good thing, they don’t realise the lost functionality. If they want to improve iTunes performance and make it less cluttered, completely removing features like this isn’t the answer. I agree with it, but I also think there should be another application for syncing devices and managing apps.

14. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

15. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

That doesn't redownload older versions, just the current version (even if the app has been pulled from the Store).

16. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

How do you create your own ringtones now?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017 ---
    I understood people with older phones not on the latest iOS could get app versions that worked on that iOS previously? Not sure if that helps...

17. dan9700 macrumors 6502a

dan9700

So when i restore phone how to i sync apps its ages to re download to iphone and ipad

18. Porsupah macrumors member

Porsupah

So, if you want to download an app to both your iPhone and iPad, you've now got to download it twice? Hopefully, as noted above, iTunes still keeps copies locally.

What of switching stores? The iOS 11 App Store doesn't offer any means to switch accounts, seemingly locking it to the account specified in the system preferences. Presumably that's now (for now?) got to be accomplished in the iTunes Store.

19. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

I guess Apple would rather 100% of people get better performance at the expense of 1% of total users who used that outdated functionality.

20. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Yeah, I was just about to ask that. I've made a lot of custom ringtones that I don't want to lose. What happens to them now?

21. DogHouseDub macrumors regular

DogHouseDub

Someday soon, I hope to use my unlimited data plan to download apps of any size.

22. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

Yeah i was wondering the same. I have custom ringtones which I havent changed in years anyway, but still...

23. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Okay the App Store I get, I don't use iTunes to download iOS apps and as of a few months ago, I stopped storing IPA files on my MacBook.

But how do we go about adding our own ringtones to our phones now? The ringtones Apple sells on the iTunes Store are complete garbage and I've made a bunch of my own. How am I supposed to do that now?

24. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

Yes, but not if they're running the latest version of iOS (or one the app currently supports).

25. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

How do you go about installing a ring tone that you have made on your Mac now?