Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
It's good to see that iTunes is still supported and updated for Windows. I wish iTunes were still available for the Mac.

Tim Cook's clueless leadership led to iTunes being canceled for the Mac, and now, it's a mess with a couple of different applications replacing the various functionalities that were all in one place back in the days of iTunes.

iTunes was more user-friendly, especially in its versions featuring the visionary Scott Forstall's best-in-class skeuomorphic design.

Apple should not have gotten rid of iTunes. Apple should have gotten rid of Tim Cook.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Anyone know why iTunes runs like ass on Windows? Click a tab for like Radio and half the icons don't load. Leave it running for a few days and it locks up. It works, but it's like, why is it sooo bad. And why doesn't the windows version have that infinity symbol on it that plays similar music after it's done playing whatever you chose to play.
Runs fine for me (rocking it on a 2016 laptop), but its a 32 bit program doing a ton of things using Apple's 32 bit Safari engine as its base (which wasn't a great performer on Windows, it was clunky...I used to run it just to do it). I think most everything else went to 64 bit back before 2010 (guessing).

As for leaving it running for days, I'm amazed it doesn't crash. Not because its bad per se, but user programs from the 32 bit PC Mac days just weren't designed to run for days, you could count on them having trouble if you left them running like that (different world at that point in time). It's probably having some trouble with memory leaks or something else - this is one of those instances of "don't do that" is the likely solution to your problem. Enjoy it while we have it.

Reactions: jtrenthacker

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Norton is trash tbh. Windows Defender and an occasional scan with Malwarebytes is more than enough for 99% of users as long as you aren’t doing anything too stupid.
Honestly, Malwarebytes is pretty **** anymore too. I've seen panda cloud cleaner do a better job on multiple occasions. It's my go-to for infected systems.

I miss when hitman pro was good.

Reactions: gusmula

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
One of my favorite features of itunes back in the early 2000s was that thing where your computer would turn the audio sounds of a song into cool visuals that would fill the screen. I don’t remember what they called it, but it was awesome. Sorry they got rid of that feature.
That’s actually still in Apple Music for Mac today, it’s called visualizer.
I believe it’s in the window menu.

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
This sucks. Windoze still gets iTunes, we're stuck with the crappy Music app. Retroactive takes care of the problem on Mac, but there's no way to fix the problem on the iPhone.

• Disagree
Reactions: TigerNike23

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.