Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

164200-iweb_icon.jpg

Apple today released iWeb 3.0.3, bringing a few minor bug fixes to the company's website creation tool included with iLife.
This update contains bug fixes and improvements, including the following:

- Addresses an issue when using the iSight Movie widget on certain Macs
- Addresses an issue publishing iWeb sites using FTP
- Improves compatibility with Mac OS X
The update weighs in at 177.12 MB and requires a minimum of Mac OS X 10.5.8 or 10.6.3.

iWeb saw its last major update with iLife '09 back in January 2009. The application did not receive an update with last October's iLife '11 release, but continues to be included with Apple's suite of multimedia applications.

Article Link: Apple Releases iWeb 3.0.3

Hairball

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
Near an Apple device
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148a)

We need iWeb 4.0

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
What's the point? Just put it down and either reboot iWeb or pimp out RapidWeaver.

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
I haven't used iWeb in forever. I think Apple needs to open the books and give the app dev teams some love. Except for iTunes most of the Apple apps seem to be 5 years behind the times.

zombocom

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2004
Northeast
I agree with Hairball. We need iWeb 4.0.

I fear it isn't a product Apple will invest much in now that far too many people use Facebook to handle their photos/blog.

I just have enjoyed making a lot of money building websites on iWeb, that I could not have done as easily in DreamWeaver (or RapidWeaver for that matter).

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
I agree with Hairball. We need iWeb 4.0.

I fear it isn't a product Apple will invest much in now that far too many people use Facebook to handle their photos/blog.

I just have enjoyed making a lot of money building websites on iWeb, that I could not have done as easily in DreamWeaver (or RapidWeaver for that matter).

Totally agree.

JPTech

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009
I'd like a new iWeb too. Personally I'm more concerned about iDVD, but that's beside the point. And "Improves Compatibility with OS X"? Just... in general? Isn't that what it was designed for? :rolleyes:

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
People still use this?

What for?

I haven't used iWeb in forever. I think Apple needs to open the books and give the app dev teams some love. Except for iTunes most of the Apple apps seem to be 5 years behind the times.

Hasn't iWeb been made obsolete by services such as tumblr, Posterous and Flavors.me ? These sites alone are so simple and powerful they make iWeb look like a joke. I develop for the web and I think iWeb is really confusing and cumbersome.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Back from the dead! One last gasp before dying!

I liked iWeb when I was just starting out too - you could make quite nice sites with not much effort - but the generated code was dreadful, took a while to load back then, looked ugly while loading, and you were thumped over the head if you tried doing anything a tiny bit different from what Apple thought you should be doing.

One site I did, I really wanted to do something, and that something required me to export my site, and run a third party app to reapply the fix, each and every time I made a change to the site. That got old fast. Also it was hard work to pass a site over to someone non-technical and allow them to make changes e.g. add news updates etc.

jaj1962

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
New Hampshire
iWeb 3.0.3

I LOVE iWeb. I own a real estate company and it's awesome to use! I wish it had more up to date functionality but to be able to control 100% of my content, add all the information about my properties including pictures, video, documents, etc in a simple and typical Apple way, is GREAT! I take video and pictures with my iPhone 4, add them to iPhoto and just do drag and drop into iWeb makes it soooooooo simple and easy. I have a facebook page for my business but it's NOT the same. I need my own website to communicate my message the way I want it and iWeb makes it very simple and uncomplicated.

I want iWeb 4.0 too! Please please please!

It would be great to be able to add in Twitter, Facebook links easily in the widget menu as well as other new and modern apps, some new design and functionality improvements would be awesome!

maclancer

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; A70S Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

iWeb is the worst software i ever see. It does not have the Apple's quality in there, its junk.

Biscuit411

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2010
As a freelance musician/audio engineer, iWeb has been great for me. It's so easy to add audio/video clips, photos, and hot links to CD Baby. I'd love some updates as well, but I still get compliments on how 'professional' my site looks.

MarlboroLite

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
the 13 colonies
iWeb is great...it has so much more potential.

It's a true WYSIWYG designer, and with little code knowledge necessary. I tried RapidWeaver and it really was not easy to use at all, and the whole system based on templates and add-ons was incredibly annoying, and easily expensive.

iWeb is a fantastic alternative and it's a shame Apple all but ignores it because it has helped so many people create some truly great looking sites (once you learn a bit you can make a beautiful website very easily) without the hassle of code.

ConnorCG

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
Back from the dead! One last gasp before dying!

I liked iWeb when I was just starting out too - you could make quite nice sites with not much effort - but the generated code was dreadful, took a while to load back then, looked ugly while loading, and you were thumped over the head if you tried doing anything a tiny bit different from what Apple thought you should be doing.

One site I did, I really wanted to do something, and that something required me to export my site, and run a third party app to reapply the fix, each and every time I made a change to the site. That got old fast. Also it was hard work to pass a site over to someone non-technical and allow them to make changes e.g. add news updates etc.

You stole those words right out of my head man.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
Personally, I've enjoyed using iWeb to do some basic, personal web design. Some of the other products out there look interesting, but I don't know that I have the time and patience to climb the learning curve they might have. When the latest iteration of iLife came out it was disappointing to see no new iWeb, and it was troubling to see that iWeb isn't even included in the app store. I hope that 3.0.3 means that at least someone at Apple sees this product as worth supporting; and hope that we see 4.0 at some point in the future.

sweetcorn

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2010
I LOVE iWeb. I own a real estate company and it's awesome to use! I wish it had more up to date functionality but to be able to control 100% of my content, add all the information about my properties including pictures, video, documents, etc in a simple and typical Apple way, is GREAT! I take video and pictures with my iPhone 4, add them to iPhoto and just do drag and drop into iWeb makes it soooooooo simple and easy. I have a facebook page for my business but it's NOT the same. I need my own website to communicate my message the way I want it and iWeb makes it very simple and uncomplicated.

I want iWeb 4.0 too! Please please please!

It would be great to be able to add in Twitter, Facebook links easily in the widget menu as well as other new and modern apps, some new design and functionality improvements would be awesome!

I would like a look at your site, what's the address?

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
My hope is a new iWeb with nice HTML 5 features; similar to what we see on Apple's website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.