Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ieko

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2006
Just got my copy today, so far so good! I like the new interface a lot except for one thing, it makes my 24" monitor feel like it's a 17". Anyone else feel this way?

Tharshan

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I'm in!

Just got my Studio 8 upgrade (to Logic Express 7.2). Installed the core app and skipped on the logic content and jam packs. Once I verify the app is working I will re-run the installation to install the almost 40GB worth of Logic Content (3 dvds) and Jam Packs (another 3 dvds) on my external FW800 Lacie 500GB drive.

I'm using macbookpro 15" 2.2 C2D with 4GB RAM.

I was a cubase SX3 user for an year and decide to switch after Apples price drop. I was getting very comfortable with my logic express 7.2 and was able to find worthwhile work arounds to the issues I came across. The most important one being unable to record unable multiple midi instrument tracks to do instrument layering during live performance. I was able to overcome this by setting up a combi device/instrument in the global audio mixer window and routing this device through multiple instruments tracks and this worked like a charm.

Never thought I could afford Pro 7. Now the drastic price drop plus the 'main stage' addition convinced me to do the upgrade within 24 hrs! I didn't think twice. My only reason for thinking was if it was ahoax because it sounded too good to be true. It's almost like how apple were giving away free nano's becuase they needed to get rid of their stock before releasing the mew line! But in this case that theory doesn't apply either.

If apple is trying to drop their software price to make ppl buy their hardware, Apple really have their thinking caps on.

Interesting how Logic was second in price tag to Cubase. (Nuendo is a world of its own. I won't pay $3K for all that video stuff I'll never use) - And now Apple adds a whole bunch of stuff to Logic making it 3 times better than Cubase and slashes the price to almost a 3rd! What a move to make the competitors pull their hair off!

mspman

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I just got it. I did a one 2 one session this morning, and I was hooked. I'm installing now... it's a loooooong install process. Which is a good thing b/c there's so much stuff there. :)

It's telling me that there's 2 hrs and 17 minutes left :eek:. And this is on a Mac Pro 8-core machine!

Not complaining. I can't wait until it's done. :)

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
Has anyone who bought Logic after Aug 1 been able to get their free upgrade to Logic Studio yet? The page says "come back Sep 26" yet there's no information there.:mad:

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
Hmm looks like it's on the US site but not the Canadian site. I'm on the phone with em right now to see what the deal is. Seems ridiculous that you have to send in mail/fax instead of just doing it over the phone.

Reep

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
SoCal
Hmm looks like it's on the US site but not the Canadian site. I'm on the phone with em right now to see what the deal is. Seems ridiculous that you have to send in mail/fax instead of just doing it over the phone.

Or better yet, just let us do it online. You would think (hope) they could figure out how to do that one.

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
Yep, having to fill out a form is preposterous. Especially since I bought it from the Apple store. The service rep I spoke to confirmed that thee form is valid for Canadians and she also sent me a copy of my invoice, so I faxed everything off and have fingers crossed.

vandall

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
They couldn't care less if people use a downloaded version because it means those people need a mac to run it.

Wong, my friend ;) I am sitting here in my studio with Logic 8 running on OS X 10.4.8 JaS install on non 'apple' hardware.

I could build myself a 'real' Mac Pro... dual Xeon motherboard, dual Xeon quad core cpu's, ECC Buffered RAM etc... it would probs cost more than a Mac Pro tho!

Moving to intel hardware, then scraping their seemingly unbreakable piracy protection would seem to be at best not on the defensive side and at the worst utter suicide....but...I'm sure apple know what they are doing I guess!

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
God what a nightmare. I called Apple yesterday because I had faxed the form a week ago, and they have no record of it. So I faxed it again yesterday morning and called today and they have no record of it. How useless can one department be? I'm particularly concerned because the offer expires tomorrow. Nevermind the poor Canadians who didn't think to look on the US site for the form, and are still waiting for instructions on what to do.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Dongles.....

Umm.... I am 99% sure they have managed to get around the dongle protection in the previous release of Logic Pro. (Someone was experimenting with substituting specific cracked files from an installation of Logic Express 7.2 into a Logic Pro 7.2 installation to bypass dongle checking, for one thing.)

There's no reason a dongle protection scheme is "unbreakable". Someone with enough knowledge simply has to go into the original app and rip out the code that talks to the dongle, or insert a line to bypass that part of the software, returning a false indicator that it passed the dongle-check.

Autodesk has done this for YEARS with AutoCAD on the PC - yet every time a new AutoCAD is released, a cracked, dongle-free version hits the net within weeks.

The whole dongle thing is just a "false sense of security", because the companies selling the dongles and licensing their protection scheme push the fact that their key itself is so tamper-resistant, etc. etc. It might be true it's nearly impossible to hack the dongle itself to reverse-engineer it on some generic flash memory stick or something -- but that's the wrong way of attacking the problem, if you're a hacker.

First, I'm not asking Apple for my money back, or wanting any money back. I expect to pay good money for good products. So I'm not bitter or unhappy about that - I thought it was worth it, and I paid willingly. What has me upset is the dongle situation. You are simply wrong with regard to pirates cracking the dongle. They have not, not in all the time Logic has been out. If you don't believe it, go research it. That is what I liked about it - the fact that I paid for it and knew that thieves could not get at it. Guess what - already today Logic Studio is out on bt... go check it out. That has me extremely pissed off, because I know that at least half of all those people celebrating the "no dongle" situation are doing so because they can now get it for free. I pay for the product which allows Apple to develop new stuff, and basically I'm subsidising all the parasites and thieves who then mooch off of it. That's why I'm angry with Apple for taking the dongle away - it makes those of us who supported the company all these years look like fools and suckers and idiots. As a matter of fact, I'm going to join the petition that's developing to bring back the dongle - Apple listens to their loyal customers, and I bet if we raise a stink big enough, they'll bring back the dongle. Again - the dongle has never been cracked. BRING IT BACK APPLE!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.