Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
For the first time in my Mac computing history (started using it at system 7.5.5) I'm going to keep my machines on Big Sur when MacOS 12 comes out. Too many bugs, too many problem, and it takes them forever to fix anything. I use my M1 MBP in the wilderness / off grid all the time for back country camping and I cannot afford to have it crap out on me because of some ****** bug they should have caught in QA.
Me too. In my experience they don’t fix a lot of issues, at least with the 2018/20 mini. I had display issues and kernal panics when i bought my mini in Dec 2018. Some things don’t change.... Funnily enough, my new W10 gaming pc runs flawlessly. How the tables have turned...

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
I hhope it fixes my 4K display not being recognised, crackling speaker noise and kernal panics upon waking. Big Sur is the worst software i have ever used.
Can you elaborate what your problem is with the 4K display? Are you connecting to an HDMI or DisplayPort interface in the monitor? If DisplayPort, is the port on the monitor DP1.2 or 1.4 and also are you using a DP 1.2 or 1.4 cable/adapter/dock? Are you connecting directly to the Mac or via a dock/adapter? What kind of Mac do you have (Intel or M1)?

Reactions: blob.DK and Big Ron

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I agree. I receive constant kernel panics, have done everything under the sun to try to fix, and am now in discussions with Apple engineers about it (I've gone through the whole Apple process to be escalated up)... Big Sur is trash.
Yep. I received them when i first bought my mini in 2018 and still have them now. Not sure what advice i can give, but hang in there!

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Can you elaborate what your problem is with the 4K display? Are you connecting to an HDMI or DisplayPort interface in the monitor? If DisplayPort, is the port on the monitor DP1.2 or 1.4 and also are you using a DP 1.2 or 1.4 cable/adapter/dock? Are you connecting directly to the Mac or via a dock/adapter? What kind of Mac do you have (Intel or M1)?
Upgraded to Big Sur from Catalina and my 4k display instantly stopped working on any connection. It was fine before and is fine on my gaming pc and other computers running other OS. I have a 2018 mini which is very temporamental with displays, and was right from the very minute it was released. Seems to be a more widespread issue that never was fixed. I don’t think Apple know how to make software for desktops anymore.... lol

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Seems like a relatively unimportant update. Think I'll hold off and let the guinea pigs... er, eager beavers update first.
I’ll do the same. 11.3 seems to be working more or less stable for me, as it fixed my monitor issues.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Upgraded to Big Sur from Catalina and my 4k display instantly stopped working on any connection. It was fine before and is fine on my gaming pc and other computers running other OS. I have a 2018 mini which is very temporamental with displays, and was right from the very minute it was released. Seems to be a more widespread issue that never was fixed. I don’t think Apple know how to make software for desktops anymore.... lol
Direct connection or a dock? HDMI or DisplayPort? If DisplayPort, is it 1.2 or 1.4 in the monitor?

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Ron

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
macOS thrashed the SSD pretty hard on my Intel MacBook too: 119 TB over ~36 months. But it does seem even worse on M1: 27.7 TB after 3 months! In fact it's gone up 0.2 TB since this morning. Both 8 GB machines.
Do you have enough apps opened simultaneous to eat up all your 8GB Unified that your doing continuous shuffling of memory? I would have opted for 16 GB at least, because of how much memory the MacOS uses. Most of us x86 Mac users have 16 or 32 GB RAM installed or more.

Reactions: Morod

Imperial926

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
I agree. I receive constant kernel panics, have done everything under the sun to try to fix, and am now in discussions with Apple engineers about it (I've gone through the whole Apple process to be escalated up)... Big Sur is trash.
You need to think this through. I have 3 machines, no issues. You most likely have a hardware fault.

Reactions: hatchettjack

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
For the first time in my Mac computing history (started using it at system 7.5.5) I'm going to keep my machines on Big Sur when MacOS 12 comes out. Too many bugs, too many problem, and it takes them forever to fix anything. I use my M1 MBP in the wilderness / off grid all the time for back country camping and I cannot afford to have it crap out on me because of some ****** bug they should have caught in QA.
To be honest, Big Sur was a major visual refresh, so more effort was probably spent on that than rooting out bugs.

There's a good chance MacOS 12 will be a nice "fixup" release, so will absolutely be worth upgrading to. I'm definitely staying away from the betas at first though. (A good policy for everyone!)

Mattyman

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
To be honest, Big Sur was a major visual refresh, so more effort was probably spent on that than rooting out bugs.

There's a good chance MacOS 12 will be a nice "fixup" release, so will absolutely be worth upgrading to. I'm definitely staying away from the betas at first though. (A good policy for everyone!)
Do you think MacOS 12 will be exclusively for Apple silicon?

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Direct connection or a dock? HDMI or DisplayPort? If DisplayPort, is it 1.2 or 1.4 in the monitor?
Direct. Tried both connections and both DP 1.2 and 1.4 modes (USB-C to DP). I’m just cursed i think.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Direct. Tried both connections and both DP 1.2 and 1.4 modes (USB-C to DP). I’m just cursed i think.
What cable did you try with DP? Try the CableConn USB-C to DP cable (DP1.4) off Amazon. It’s about $20. It’s definitely worth a try. I found that the CableConn USB-C to DP1.4 cables work miracles. I have a few of them. If that doesn’t work, you can try the OWC USB-C to dual-DP adapter. That adapter fixed my 5K display issue before 11.3 was released. 11.3 fixed my direct cable connection to the 5K display via a single DP1.4 port, using the CableConn cable.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Easy & quick update here on a base M1 Mac Mini. Using a 4K Samsung monitor via HDMI-2; 1GB OWC Thunderbolt M.2 NVMe SSD for data; 2GB Orico USB-C M.2 NVMe SSD for Time Machine backup. All good here. Love this set-up!

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013

Something to check for is your monitor cable and connector. I had intermittent clicks and buzzes that got progressively worse over a few years. The problem was fixed when I got a new cable.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Reactions: roncron

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2016
Anyone else still have Battery Service message on an M1 machine? I have an M1 Air and my battery "needs servicing." Has said this for quite a few versions now.. Do I have to get my laptop replaced to get this fixed? Anyone have experience on how to fix this?
Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 2.54.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 2.54.35 PM.png

Last edited:

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2014
Anyone else still have Battery Service message on an M1 machine? I have an M1 Air and my battery "needs servicing." Has said this for quite a few versions now.. Do I have to get my laptop replaced to get this fixed? Anyone have experience on how to fix this?
Possibly a hardware fault? I have an M1 pro essentially from launch day and it's at 100% battery health. Maybe you should get it checked out while you're in warranty

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.