Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

albebaubles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Sierra in view
This bricked my 2019 MBP. Not providing power to devices either. Needs an SMC reset but won’t accept it. Mail it in.

Be afraid, be very afraid. Timing couldn’t be more brutal.

Reactions: GalileoSeven
Comment

frankfenn

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
Canada
As a developer this is especially frustrating. We are now on 10.15.4! Things are still broken. For example: dragging an App into the Full Disk access permissions table doe not always result in it being displayed right away. How hard its to synchronize a sqlite db with a table view? :)

Comment

gamerdude

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2015
I had to reset the SMC to enable the ports even after updating. Thankfully I had enough charge to do all this ****. WTF Apple.

Comment

Damian83

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Another bug: guest account disappeared from login screen. disabled-enabled it and restarted several times. gone forever!

Comment

Kpreslan

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
I hope they have a corresponding fix for the Mojave security update that came out at the same time as 10.15.4. I have a USB-C port on my MacBook Pro that stopped working when I did that update.

Comment

mnikec

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2020
Catalina is the worst update ever!!
In my first 10 years I needed to downgrade to Mojave, because of every day kernel panic.

Last edited:
Comment

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
General question as I'm still on the fence and yet continue to read all these unfixed glitches.
Does Catalina yet have the stability & compatibility to run on a Mac Pro, 4,1 yet?
If you have a GPU that could run Mojave, probably. Stability, much discussed and so little understood around here, depends on what you are doing. I would be upgrading my work machine but for two issues: Two apps that I use to make a living atre still 32 bit (64 bit upgrades coming soon but they aren't frickin' here!) and I haven't finished testing certain other apps on my Catalina machine. The OS is certainly 'stable' enough. It's the apps that might not be. I had one crash on me last night and I went on the site and found a free upgrade that solved the issue... Stuff like that...

Comment

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
Yup, updated the watch too. Nothing is working. Even trying the steps I'm finding online aren't helping either.

Maddening.

Strange! Phone/watch/mac on same wifi? Unchecked and rechecked the "Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac" in System Settings?

Another tip: Uncheck that box Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac" in System Settings. Then restart your watch and restart your iMac and then Check that box again.

I've had a lot of issues with unlocking my 2019 iMac with my Watch (S3). One update broke the functionality and the other update fixed it. But what sometimes helped for a period was to unpair and then reconnect my watch. Takes a while but this often fixed it.

Comment

albebaubles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Sierra in view
Ive never been so frustrated with these guys. Supplemental update bricked my 2019MBP. I spent the better part of three hours with apple support for them to come to the conclusion I need to mail in my machine. MAIL IT IN. Not even a year old. I’m to sit on my thumbs for 10 days while my clients find someone else to handle my contracts?

Flat out — you purchase a new piece of crap MacBook Pro and count yourself bent over. I’m disgusted.

• Sad
Reactions: DinkThifferent
Comment

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
dragging an App into the Full Disk access permissions table doe not always result in it being displayed right away. How hard its to synchronize a sqlite db with a table view? :)
You don't get the pop-up that says the changes won't take effect till you quit the app? I do every time.
Flat out — you purchase a new piece of crap MacBook Pro and count yourself bent over. I’m disgusted
Well... Be disgusted, then. A lot of that and disappointment always on these boards.

I hope you're not suggesting we all climb into the Windows clown car. Because, if these issues disgust you, going there is a really, really bad idea.

Comment

albebaubles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Sierra in view
You don't get the pop-up that says the changes won't take effect till you quit the app? I do every time.

Well... Be disgusted, then. A lot of that and disappointment always on these boards.

I hope you're not suggesting we all climb into the Windows clown car. Because, if these issues disgust you, going there is a really, really bad idea.
Clueless. I’m a mobile developer. I’ve spent well over $50k the last decade buying the latest and greatest to keep up — you drive 90 minutes one way to drop off an 11 month old computer for service. Tell me big boy, how many Macs have you had die on you? I’ve got documentation if you want to be real.
[automerge]1586488789[/automerge]
C7D3057A-F4E0-4A05-A1A7-5EA32DB8C3D5.png

[automerge]1586489099[/automerge]
Clueless. I’m a mobile developer. I’ve spent well over $50k the last decade buying the latest and greatest to keep up — you drive 90 minutes one way to drop off an 11 month old computer for service. Tell me big boy, how many Macs have you had die on you? I’ve got documentation if you want to be real.
[automerge]1586488789[/automerge]
C7D3057A-F4E0-4A05-A1A7-5EA32DB8C3D5.png
That’s what I thought. Taker you 35 posts and eff the HE double hockey sticks off. 35 posts.

Last edited:
Comment

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
It's this entire push for "agile development" and automating quality testing processes without real humans testing the stuff that's dragging everything downhill. I think it's equally a problem for Windows and OS X, but it complicates things when so many software apps are encouraged to basically "plug in" to core parts of these operating systems to perform some of their functions. The flaws or changes in behavior of things breaks the 3rd. party apps that relied on them and makes THEIR code look poor too!

I run both Windows 10 Pro machines and Macs here at home, as well as a FreeNAS server (running FreeBSD as its underlying OS). Also spent many years supporting both Mac and Windows platforms simultaneously in mixed environments at my last two employers. And it's a trainwreck these days on BOTH platforms!

Just last night, my Windows PC gaming laptop started some bizarre behavior where after it was sitting idle for a while, my external display I have attached to it suddenly switched resolutions down to a super low one (probably 640x480 or thereabouts) and the built-in LCD display on the laptop which I had configured to stay off lit up and started acting like the primary desktop display! Both screens were trying to duplicate each other, but when I went into display settings, it insisted it only saw my built in display as an available option! A reboot cleared it right up and I was back to my normal display config. But sure enough .... let it sit for a while as I was talking on the phone, and it did it a second time! I noticed there was a pending Windows 10 "supplemental update" so I ran that and rebooted, and no more display issues so far, since then.

Comment

timduck

Suspended
Apr 7, 2020
I wish FaceTime had more options to tweak video quality. I have a higher end webcam for my Mac mini, and yet the video resolution it produces in FaceTime is terrible, and there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust it. Streaming from YouTube or using Zoom produces video of far superior quality.
the problem is the camera on the macs, apple use cheap components for the cameras, even older macs have better image quality than the newer models, a few months ago an article came out about this comparisons, mr cook decided to use cheaper materials in order to make more money, even if there is an option available it won't improved anything, not sure but i think those cameras are running at 720p and if they are 1080p they are very low 1080p, but most likely they are 720p, i made a comparison with a friend, his camera against an external Logitech camera, at that time it was the c920, i'm sure Logitech have newer models that might produce even better picture quality

when i loaded the logitech camera on facetime, which is 1080p 20mbs
it look 1,000 times better than the face time camera from my friend mac

yes no one wants to use an external camera i get that
but the problem is not , not having an extra video quality option in face time
yes they option might be handy for those with slow speed connection, set your video quality based on you internet speed

but it doesn't matter if you have fiber that won't make the image look any better as long as apple continue to cheap out in parts

if you want better video quality simply buy a good external camera
logitech have some good cameras and they are compatible with facetime

also they are many video comparisons in youtube about mac integrated cam vs an external cam
sorry for my bad english

Comment

makitango

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
This bricked my 2019 MBP. Not providing power to devices either. Needs an SMC reset but won’t accept it. Mail it in.

Be afraid, be very afraid. Timing couldn’t be more brutal.

Mine got bricked, too, but only using the internal keyboard and trackpad - it won't register any input meaning that in order to get the machine to show its login screen, I have to briefly click the power button because that button seems to be differently wired/programmed.
I am using the MBA 11" 2015 maxed out, last one of the godlike Apple netbooks. Thank god I enabled remote control and worked on an experimental and external drive.
Fixing is relatively simple but time-consuming: I had to reinstall the whole OS to the latest version MINUS the supplemental update. I tried it on a clean reinstall USB partition to rule any issues out, but it wouldn't work either.
What a disaster. Do NOT install the supplemental update if you're running a similar model/setup (maybe it's only external drives, but I'm not crazy enough to test it on my main drive, plus external keyboards and trackpads work), I don't know which other models are also affected.
I am certainly going to skip any future Catalina releases.

Comment

dantracht

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Strange! Phone/watch/mac on same wifi? Unchecked and rechecked the "Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac" in System Settings?

Another tip: Uncheck that box Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac" in System Settings. Then restart your watch and restart your iMac and then Check that box again.

I've had a lot of issues with unlocking my 2019 iMac with my Watch (S3). One update broke the functionality and the other update fixed it. But what sometimes helped for a period was to unpair and then reconnect my watch. Takes a while but this often fixed it.
Thank you! A reboot of everything did the trick.

• Love
Comment

albebaubles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Sierra in view
Mine got bricked, too, but only using the internal keyboard and trackpad - it won't register any input meaning that in order to get the machine to show its login screen, I have to briefly click the power button because that button seems to be differently wired/programmed.
I am using the MBA 11" 2015 maxed out, last one of the godlike Apple netbooks. Thank god I enabled remote control and worked on an experimental and external drive.
Fixing is relatively simple but time-consuming: I had to reinstall the whole OS to the latest version MINUS the supplemental update. I tried it on a clean reinstall USB partition to rule any issues out, but it wouldn't work either.
What a disaster. Do NOT install the supplemental update if you're running a similar model/setup (maybe it's only external drives, but I'm not crazy enough to test it on my main drive, plus external keyboards and trackpads work), I don't know which other models are also affected.
I am certainly going to skip any future Catalina releases.
Mine has the T2 chip. No way to bring it back.

Comment

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
Thank you! A reboot of everything did the trick.

Awesome! 😃 Glad to hear it is working again. I gotta say, it's been mediocre at best ever since i got my new iMac (August 2019) so don't be upset if after a next update it suddenly doesn't work anymore. The update after the next one will probably fix it again hahaha!

Reactions: dantracht
Comment

albebaubles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Sierra in view
If you have another Mac available, this will probably work:
I was just coming back to the page to post exactly that article. Found it on Michael Tsai's blog. It DID work. Good job.

Why the heck the support people didn't offer that up.....

Comment

chrfr

macrumors G4
Jul 11, 2009
Why the heck the support people didn't offer that up.....
That's a good question. When I updated, the computers took what seemed like an inordinate amount of time to fully install and come back up, with plenty of black screen time in there. Consequently, I suspect that either the update just times out somehow, or people are prematurely interrupting the update at a time that leaves the T2 in a spot where it can't recover. Apple's updates really take far too long. At least there is a recovery method, but it's an expensive one if it requires having another modern Mac around.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.