Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released macOS Catalina 10.15.7, the latest update to the macOS Catalina software. macOS Catalina 10.15.7 fixes several major bugs that Mac users have been experiencing, and it comes a month after the latest macOS Catalina release.

Catalina10.15.7GFXFixArticle.jpg

The ‌‌‌macOS Catalina‌‌‌ 10.15.6 Supplemental Update can be downloaded from the Mac App Store using the Update feature in the System Preferences app.

According to Apple's release notes, macOS Catalina 10.15.7 addresses an issue where macOS would not automatically connect to WiFi, it fixes a bug that could prevent files from syncing through iCloud Drive, and most notably for new iMac owners, it fixes an issue that was causing a small white flashing line to appear on machines equipped with the Radeon Pro 5700 XT.
macOS Catalina 10.15.7 provides important security updates and bug fixes for your Mac.

- Resolves an issue where macOS would not automatically connect to Wi-Fi networks
- Fixes an issue that could prevent files syncing through iCloud Drive
- Addresses a graphic issue that may occur on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) with Radeon Pro 5700 XT

Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices. For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
Since the launch of the 27-inch iMac in August, there have been complaints about a graphical glitch with the model that includes the higher-end a 5700 XT GPU. Many users have reported seeing flashes of a horizontal white line, and while it was unclear if it was a software or hardware issue, today's fix indicates that it was indeed a software-related bug.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS Catalina 10.15.7 With Fixes for WiFi Bug, 27-Inch iMac Graphics Issues

Last edited:

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
First recent macOS release with a 10.x.7 update. I think the last time this happened was when we were on two year upgrade cycles.

EDIT: Yep, I was right. Last time we had a release go past 10.x.6 was Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8, of which was the last macOS release on a two year upgrade cycle (and still supported the first Rosetta, mind you!). Catalina has really been a crapshoot. For perspective, first time this has happened in over TEN years. C'mon Apple & Craig Federighi. Hoping Big Sur will be better.

Last edited:

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
wow, 2.84GB, IDK what's apple fixing wifi or the whole macbook Software :p

Yeah, it seems pretty big for a "supplemental" update! Apple really need to fix the size of their downloads - we have slow internet here in the middle of the countryside and with 4 machines to update we'll probably be here until Big Sur is release and then have to start all over again

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
First..

Wasn't expecting a Catalina update this late in the game, but will take it..
First-ing? Really? And you weren't even first lol.

I'm gonna speculate that this release probably means Big Sur is still a ways out. Like late Oct or early Nov time frame.

Soba

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
First recent macOS release with a 10.x.7 update. I think the last time this happened was when we were on two year upgrade cycles.

Indeed, there has not been a 10.x.7 release since Snow Leopard in 2011.

I realize things are odd this year due to Covid, but I'm glad Apple is staggering releases a bit more this season. I hope they consider returning to longer development cycles and spacing out releases during the year as they used to, thus (hopefully) shipping better software and allowing products to reach further maturity through updates before the next version ships. They are trying to throw too much stuff out the door at the same time every year and it is impossible for any organization to do that well. One or two things at a time, please!

After the disastrous MobileMe launch, Steve Jobs sent a mea culpa email, including the following:

It was a mistake to launch MobileMe at the same time as iPhone 3G, iPhone 2.0 software and the App Store. We all had more than enough to do, and MobileMe could have been delayed without consequence.

Apple has more than enough to do with each major OS release. Slow it down, stagger the releases, and get stuff right.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.