Apple Releases macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 With Compatibility Improvements for Third-Party USB Audio Devices

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2017.

1. insaneclown714 macrumors newbie

I have no idea what people are having so much trouble with. i have older imac with ssd and 16gigs ram and this version is slightly faster than 10.13.1 and Sierra final version and trouble free so far and ez install. I think ssd is key but no reason to fear this update. Some one did geek bench on you tube and said slightly faster than 10.13.1 also.

2. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

Doesn't seem to occur for me — text is black instead.

3. JoeInMilwaukee macrumors member

I am wondering the same thing! Can anyone confirm if Apple screwed up the web site link?

4. tywebb13, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017

tywebb13 macrumors 68020

Yeah. Screwed up big time. I downloaded and installed it from the dmg instead of the mac app store resulting in a boot loop.

Had to downgrade to 10.11.6 build 15G31 with bootable usb and then update again with mac app store instead of the dmg.

If you want the correct standalone security update not resulting in boot loop you can download it as follows. These are the files the mac app store uses.

el capitan security update 2017-005 links:

(install in this order)

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...0i8881lezdmqrgmgg7a8rd2y/FullBundleUpdate.pkg

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...cz0i8881lezdmqrgmgg7a8rd2y/FirmwareUpdate.pkg

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...ezdmqrgmgg7a8rd2y/SecUpd2017-005ElCapitan.pkg

5. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

So annoyed by this (and the time it took me to fix it) I have now submitted an official bug report to apple via my developer account:

Radar#35949391

El Capitan Security Update 2017-005 boot loop

Area:

Software Update

There are 2 versions of the El Capitan Security update 2017-005

The one from https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1945?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US results in a boot loop when updating from build 15G17023. Furthermore the date published on that website as July 19, 2017 is obviously wrong because that security update came out on Dec 6, 2017.

The other one on the mac app store installs fine.

To recover from the boot loop I downgraded to build 15G31 with a bootable usb and then installed the update via the mac app store instead up to build 15G18013 without the boot loop.

It would be best to fix the one on the website because although I was able to recover from it, many other people wouldn’t have a clue how to fix it if they end up with a boot loop.

6. JonasBlaps macrumors newbie

JonasBlaps

I was holding off updating to High Sierra because of some of the stories mentioned on here. I was running on 10.12.6 (macOS Sierra) and made the jump to 10.13.2 yesterday on my Late 2016 MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar after a Genius Bar technician gave me the confidence and information I needed to make an informed upgrade (I was there fixing a 'repeating key' issue on my keyboard)

Installation took roughly 40 minutes with no issues at all. Very smooth process. I've been using High Sierra since, but haven't noticed any significant changes or improvements, but have noticed a couple of visual kinks that need to be ironed out, especially around lock screen and startup.

Just thought I'd drop this post for those who also have concerns of upgrading.

7. JoeInMilwaukee macrumors member

Thank you for the information, tywebb13! You saved myself and others a LOT of trouble!

I almost missed the El Capitan 2017-005 Security Update because of Apple's incorrect Post Date associated with it. Usually I download these updates at work (super fast Internet connection) via my Windows PC. I knew there were security updates for High Sierra and Sierra and was puzzled why one wasn't showing up for El Capitan. (For the benefit of others reading this post, Apple's Downloads page sorts the updates via date, with the newest ones showing first.)

Last night I was installing the iTunes 12.7.2 update on my Mac and noticed the App Store was showing an El Capitan security update. When I went back to Apple's Downloads page I had to do some digging to find it, and the July 19 date made me suspicious. That's when I went to this thread in Macrumors.

The reason I'm still running El Capitan is that with Apple's software quality control having slipped in recent years, my policy has been to stay one year behind in macOS releases. I plan on upgrading to Sierra within the next month. It will be a little over a year before I'm running High Sierra.

8. ScooterComputer macrumors regular

ScooterComputer

I see very similar behavior on iOS 10 Mail on my iPad mini 2… I wonder if perhaps this bug is a side-effect of merging codebases? I get the distinct feeling, seeing as how so many Mail app bugs persist on macOS for so long, that we Mac users are unknowingly "blocked" behind iOS development/QA time schedules. E.g. Until stuff gets fixed in iOS and trickles back into the macOS branch a year later, with the next major release. (Im saying, I think 10.13 merged in iOS 10 code, not iOS 11; iOS 11 code will show up in 10.14.) Which would be quite ridiculous, considering Apple at this point promotes the Mac almost universally as a "pro" tool (but a year behind a phone). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9. LeoNatan macrumors member

LeoNatan

Still happens for me. Must be truly embarrassing for Apple engineers working there. Truly a gut-wrenchingly embarrassing release.

10. recoil80 macrumors 68020

I needed to install it twice, the first time I had an error during reboot and went back to 10.13.1.
    Weird, but now everything is working and I'm on .2

11. simonhayre macrumors newbie

“Improves compatibility with certain third-party USB audio devices.” And now my Logitech A-00044 USB Headset is no longer working…. Thanks Apple!! Don't upgrade!!!

12. Gl4cier macrumors newbie

Hey this is supposed to be a bug on high sierra right? if you have solution other than using third party app like "transmit, etc" then i'm all ears

13. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

Not at all. macOS letting you create > 2 GiB files on a FAT32 volume, then causing dataloss problems, is a bug. macOS limiting FAT32 to what FAT32 is limited to, namely a file system of 2 GiB, is not a bug.

macOS supporting the LFS extension to FAT32 would be a feature. macOS doesn't appear to have that feature. Given that implementing that would only raise the limit to 4 GiB, and that other alternatives such as exFAT that do properly support much larger files exist, Apple probably decided it wasn't worth the effort.

14. Gl4cier macrumors newbie

Thank you, thought it's a bug since Sierra pretty much have no problem with it

15. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

16. PaddyPatPat macrumors newbie

PaddyPatPat

Did you upgrade? Did it fix your crashing issues?