Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released macOS High Sierra 10.13.4, the fourth major update to the macOS High Sierra operating system available on Apple's Macs. macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 comes more than two months after the release of macOS High Sierra 10.13.3, which brought fixes for the Spectre vulnerability.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 can be downloaded directly from the Mac App Store or through the Software Update function in the Mac App Store on all compatible Macs that are already running macOS High Sierra.

macoshighsierra10134-800x450.jpg

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 introduces bug fixes and performance improvements for issues that have been discovered since the release of macOS High Sierra 10.13.3. The update brings support for Business Chat, which will allow you to interface with businesses like Wells Fargo and Lowe's right in the Messages app, and it includes official support for external graphics processors (eGPUs).

There are also several other small bug fixes and tweaks, as listed in the release notes:
The macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 update improves the stability, performance, and security of your Mac, and it is recommended for all users. This update:

- Adds support for Business Chat conversations in Messages in the US
- Adds support for external graphics processors (eGPUs)
- Fixes graphics corruption issues affecting certain apps on iMac Pro
- Allows jumping to the right-most open tab using Command+9 in Safari
- Enables sorting Safari bookmarks by name or URL by right clicking and choosing "Sort by..."
- Fixes an issue that may prevent web link previews from appearing in Messages
- Helps protect privacy by only AutoFilling usernames and passwords after selecting them in a web form field in Safari
- Displays warnings in the Safari Smart Search Field when interacting with password or credit card forms on non-encrypted web pages
- Displays privacy icons and links to explain how your data will be used and protected when Apple features ask to use your personal information

For more detailed information about this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208533
For more detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222
The update also introduces the smoke cloud wallpaper that was previously only available on the iMac Pro and it introduces a warning when opening up a 32-bit app as part of an effort to phase them out.

In the future, Apple plans to phase out 32-bit Mac apps, just like it did with 32-bit iOS apps. Apple says macOS High Sierra is the last version of macOS that will support 32-bit apps "without compromises."

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 With eGPU Support, Business Chat in Messages, and More

dracobdn

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2014
Black Screen after Update on my MacBook Pro 2016... :-/

Update: Did a forced restart after 15 minutes of black screen... now it tells me it will take 15 minutes to finish the installation

Update 2:
macOS started and reopened all apps while I had a blank window with spinning gear on top of it... after like 2 minutes the Mac asked me for my password again... then Apple wanted to know if I want to share system information with them...

Come on Apple...

Update 3:
The AppStore is back with the "hey let's install 10.13.4 since although I went through all the steps above, I'm back on 10.13.3...

Let's not try this again

Last edited:

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
High Sietra sucks man,so many un-solved issues and it visibly slowed down my 12" Macbook.
Worst version of Mac OS ever.
I re-installed El Capitan which is the version my Mac was originally shipped with.
Much snappier now.
Everyone should consider remaining on the original version of the Mac OS their system wasshippedwith,specially 12" MacBook owners with m CPU.
I don't trust Apple or anyone else saying performance won't be slowed down at all.
Seeing (feeling) is believing.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

Update: Did a forced restart after 15 minutes of black screen... now it tells me it will take 15 minutes to finish the installation

Update 2:
macOS started and reopened all apps while I had a blank window with spinning gear on top of it... after like 2 minutes the Mac asked me for my password again... then Apple wanted to know if I want to share system information with them...

Come on Apple...

Update 3:
The AppStore is back with the "hey let's install 10.13.4 since although I went through all the steps above, I'm back on 10.13.3...

Let's not try this again

The system will create a snapshot before doing the OS install in case something goes wrong. In your case it did, so it probably rolled back to the snapshot it took so you can try again.

If you're nervous about it I suggest downloading the combo updater and using that.

Good luck. :)

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
High Sietra sucks man,so many un-solved issues and it visibly slowed down my 12" Macbook.
Worst version of Mac OS ever.
I re-installed El Capitan which is the version my Mac was originally shipped with.
Much snappier now.
Everyone should consider remaining on the original version of the Mac OS their system wasshippedwith,specially 12" MacBook owners with m CPU.
I don't trust Apple or anyone else saying performance won't be slowed down at all.
Seeing (feeling) is believing.
That MacBook is slower than an iPhone, you shouldn't expect good performance and shouldn't install new OS right from the start. Now should be a good time to update.

twa440

Suspended
Aug 2, 2016

Update 2:

Come on Apple...

Update 3:

Let's not try this again
Don't stop it at a black screen. My 2013 MBP dual graphics went in between black screen and a new progress bar 5 times before the update was complete. It took 45 mins. after the initial download to complete the update but everything seems ok

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ_S and pianophile

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.