Apple Releases macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 With AirPlay 2 Multi-Room Audio Support for iTunes

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 9, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released macOS High Sierra 10.13.6, the sixth update to the macOS High Sierra operating system available on Apple's Mac lineup. macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 comes more than a month after the release of macOS High Sierra 10.13.5, which introduced support for Messages in iCloud.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 can be downloaded directly from the Mac App Store or through the Software Update function in the Mac App Store on all compatible Macs that are already running macOS High Sierra.

[​IMG]

The macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 update is minor in scale, focusing on bug fixes and security improvements. No major feature changes were discovered during the beta testing process, but Apple's release notes say it adds AirPlay 2 multi-room support for iTunes with the accompanying iTunes 12.8 update. Full release notes are below:
    macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 may be one of the final updates to the macOS High Sierra operating system, as Apple in June introduced macOS Mojave, an update that will be launching to the public this fall. macOS Mojave is currently available to developers and public beta testers and will be tested for several months before it sees a launch.

macOS Mojave introduces a system-wide Dark Mode, Desktop Stacks for organizing all of the files on your desktop, several changes to Finder to make it quicker and easier to access and edit your files, Continuity Camera for importing photos to Mac right from an iPhone, and new apps that include Apple News, Stocks, Home, and Voice Memos.

For full details on all of the new features that are coming in the macOS Mojave update, make sure to check out our roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 With AirPlay 2 Multi-Room Audio Support for iTunes

2. cmaier macrumors G4

3. Attirex macrumors 6502

Doesn’t AirPlay do that already? I’m confused.

4. dan9700 macrumors 68000

dan9700

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Well....unless there's going to be a 10.13.7, this will be the version I upgrade my Sierra Mac to just before Mohave is released. I hope it's solid, since I'll be running it for the next year.

6. Zarniwoop macrumors 6502a

"That was the last time [Non-Metal Mac's] ever saw daylight."

7. cmaier macrumors G4

Nope.

8. munpip214 macrumors member

Airplay already supported multi-room audio, but still using the old protocol which had lower buffer and higher latency. This also paves way for homekit support on mac. It also lets you control the device even if you aren't streaming to it.

9. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

10. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Hopefully a stable update with some good fixes.

I’ll have to test when I get a chance. Curious if it’ll finally fix the issue of some videos playing as if I was trying to watch a scrambled / blocked cable channel (visually scrambled).

11. Hitrate macrumors 6502

Hitrate

If the old one has higher latency you mean it also has a bigger buffer (size) I guess...

12. killawat macrumors 65816

Pour one out for all the vintage Macs about to be left in the cold , including every 17" notebook Apple ever offered.

♫ Never gonna give you up
    Never gonna let you down
    ♫ Never gonna run around and desert you

13. rocketz macrumors newbie

Can a Mac be an Airplay target now? Never understood why that is not possible..

14. dan9700 macrumors 68000

dan9700

Why can't airplay 2 work on normal output so watching youtube vids

15. ToM7 macrumors 6502

ToM7

And there's a new version of iTunes too
    I'm wondering what about iTunes 13 and if we gonna see and new UI in September

Attached Files:

16. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I wonder what the folks at DisplayLink have to say, whether they can fix their USB monitor driver issue... I'm stick on 4.!!! There's too many unsquished bugs, but I need my monitors...

17. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I wonder if Apple will ever do a major upgrade of iTunes.

18. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Still requires something like AirServer or Airfoil Satellite

19. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

iTunes as we know it is going away, not getting redesigned.

Wait for 2019 or 2020. Specifically the launch of the streaming video service.

20. StevenHCarter macrumors newbie

“...and new apps that include Apple News, Socks, Home, and Voice Memos.”

I remember when Apple sold a “sock” for the iPod, but I didn’t know that a “Socks” app was required to use it. Will there be “Shirts” and “Pants” apps released later? Or maybe this was supposed to be “Stocks”.

21. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

See my previous post.

22. atlchamp macrumors 68000

atlchamp

is it me or is it running a lot smoother?

23. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

I think they’re still arguing over whether to keep it as an all in one program, or to split it up into Apple Music, Apple sync & backup, Apple photos and Apple video.

24. crjackson2134 macrumors 68040

crjackson2134

Is the combo update a full installer that I can make a USB installer from?

The MAS updated as usual, but there is NO ability to select download for a copy of the full installer.

Well, I just checked it. Obviously at 2.40GB it's not a full installer.

I hope I can find a link to one.