Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released macOS High Sierra 10.13.6, the sixth update to the macOS High Sierra operating system available on Apple's Mac lineup. macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 comes more than a month after the release of macOS High Sierra 10.13.5, which introduced support for Messages in iCloud.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 can be downloaded directly from the Mac App Store or through the Software Update function in the Mac App Store on all compatible Macs that are already running macOS High Sierra.

macos10136-800x524.jpg

The macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 update is minor in scale, focusing on bug fixes and security improvements. No major feature changes were discovered during the beta testing process, but Apple's release notes say it adds AirPlay 2 multi-room support for iTunes with the accompanying iTunes 12.8 update. Full release notes are below:
The macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 update adds AirPlay 2 multi-room audio support for iTunes and improves the stability and security of your Mac. This update is recommended for all users.

AirPlay 2 for iTunes
- Control your home audio system and AirPlay 2-enabled speakers throughout your house
- Play music at the same time on multiple AirPlay 2-enabled speakers in your house, all in sync

Other improvements and fixes
- Fixes an issue that may prevent Photos from recognizing AVCHD media from some cameras
- Fixes an issue that may prevent Mail users from moving a message from Gmail to another account
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 may be one of the final updates to the macOS High Sierra operating system, as Apple in June introduced macOS Mojave, an update that will be launching to the public this fall. macOS Mojave is currently available to developers and public beta testers and will be tested for several months before it sees a launch.

macOS Mojave introduces a system-wide Dark Mode, Desktop Stacks for organizing all of the files on your desktop, several changes to Finder to make it quicker and easier to access and edit your files, Continuity Camera for importing photos to Mac right from an iPhone, and new apps that include Apple News, Stocks, Home, and Voice Memos.

For full details on all of the new features that are coming in the macOS Mojave update, make sure to check out our roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 With AirPlay 2 Multi-Room Audio Support for iTunes

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Doesn’t AirPlay do that already? I’m confused.
Airplay already supported multi-room audio, but still using the old protocol which had lower buffer and higher latency. This also paves way for homekit support on mac. It also lets you control the device even if you aren't streaming to it.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Hopefully a stable update with some good fixes.

I’ll have to test when I get a chance. Curious if it’ll finally fix the issue of some videos playing as if I was trying to watch a scrambled / blocked cable channel (visually scrambled).

Hitrate

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Copenhagen
Airplay already supported multi-room audio, but still using the old protocol which had lower buffer and higher latency. This also paves way for homekit support on mac. It also lets you control the device even if you aren't streaming to it.

If the old one has higher latency you mean it also has a bigger buffer (size) I guess...

ToM7

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
Israel
And there's a new version of iTunes too
I'm wondering what about iTunes 13 and if we gonna see and new UI in September

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 12.16.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 12.16.27 AM.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 260

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I wonder what the folks at DisplayLink have to say, whether they can fix their USB monitor driver issue... I'm stick on 4.!!! There's too many unsquished bugs, but I need my monitors...

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
And there's a new version of iTunes too
I'm wondering what about iTunes 13 and if we gonna see and new UI in September
iTunes as we know it is going away, not getting redesigned.

Wait for 2019 or 2020. Specifically the launch of the streaming video service.

Reactions: chabig

StevenHCarter

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2012
“...and new apps that include Apple News, Socks, Home, and Voice Memos.”

I remember when Apple sold a “sock” for the iPod, but I didn’t know that a “Socks” app was required to use it. Will there be “Shirts” and “Pants” apps released later? Or maybe this was supposed to be “Stocks”.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.