Apple Releases macOS High Sierra 10.13 Supplemental Update With Fix for APFS Disk Utility Bug and Keychain Vulnerability

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Foulger macrumors newbie

No - WIP

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It won't mess up if you do it the way I said, make a backup of this folder by copying it to the desktop and restoring if it didn't fix the problem.

3. Roadstar macrumors 6502a

Roadstar

So far only for High Sierra, even though the bug exists also in earlier versions. Let’s see if Apple can be bothered to issue a fix for any previous versions.

4. rbgaynor macrumors member

rbgaynor

From the release notes:

"New downloads of macOS High Sierra 10.13 include the security content of the macOS High Sierra 10.13 Supplemental Update."

5. nortonandreev macrumors 6502

nortonandreev

It used to happen on Sierra as well.

6. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I am so confused, I just applied the update. Do I need to do anything else?

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

8. djbuddha macrumors regular

I agree with your point about people complaining and preferring Microsoft's way. I like security patches done immediately. Buuuuuuut... there's a bigger monster at work here and it's about the way things are done at Apple.

The problem for some of us is functionality. Some of my apps don't function correctly under High Sierra, I'm on the last build of Sierra- so this specific APFS issue doesn't apply to me.

The thing is with High Sierra, certain hardware is awaiting driver support. Here's an example of where this screws me lol:

I have an external audio interface and mic which work great for everything EXCEPT for making / taking phone calls over wifi from my iPhone. For some reason- it keeps trying to use my macbook's internal hardware. Which would be ok if if wasn't docked and closed on a stand in the corner of my desk. Even with the input / output selected in system preferences- this still happens.

The workaround is to run a killall coreaudiod type of command in terminal while dialling or while the phone is ringing, then make sure everything is selected in preferences THEN hope they person can hear you (which seems to always work).

I submitted this bug to Apple and they want me to test this on High Sierra, which isn't going to happen. I have certain performance software that won't run correctly on High Sierra and other hardware that while is new- is getting updated drivers for High Sierra.

So Sierra is forever broken and until they iron it out in High Sierra. (Apparently this bug has been ongoing since Yosemite so it's unlikely it's going to get resolved- even more so if they're expecting me to test this...) ... They're a multi-billion dollar company. TEST THIS YOURSELVES LOL (it was either all caps or a choice expletive here :p )

So now a feature I was looking forward to when I bought my 2017 MacBook Pro- which is technically working with a workaround (that can be fixed easily mind you) is now broken and won't be fixed to coexist with the rest of my working setup.

Basically you've quietly declared Sierra an EOL (end of life) product...... seriously think about this for a second Craig. o_O

That and the fact that the fix for the this 'APFS' bug is to backup and reinstall....? Sorry Apple, this is a new level of arrogance.

9. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

You're getting your companies mixed up. Apple has a long history of pushing updates when they're ready and not on a schedule. Microsoft on the other hand waits and releases updates on Patch Tuesday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_Tuesday

10. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

I am sticking with 10.12.6 till it's green light from users.

11. Don MC macrumors member

Don MC

FIX: System Preferences > Keyboard > Adjust keyboard brightness in low light: OFF

12. BFG86 macrumors 6502

Yeah High Sierra is fixed now. Until another bug is discovered...

13. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Wow that was fast this must have been pretty serious huh?

14. Tech198 macrumors G4

"Available for: macOS High Sierra 10.13

Impact: A malicious application can extract keychain passwords"

I'm guessing this is local access only yes? eg. no remote access unless your consider remote'ing in to a Mac on inside your network, but i mean from websites etc. external access.

15. hank moody macrumors 6502a

hank moody

do i have to do that backup process? how do i know?

16. Russell L, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

Russell L macrumors regular

OK—this is weird: I installed the update on my early-2011 MBP (w/third-party SSD) about 2 hours ago through the App Store. Right afterwards I checked the App Store again and noticed that it wasn’t listed under “Updates Installed in the Last 30 Days”; I thought it was odd, but didn’t think anything more of it. Now, my MBP automatically notifies me that the Supplemental Update is available, even though I had already installed it 2 hours earlier. So... I decided to go through the installation process again. This time the process takes a couple of minutes longer, and upon restart, my MBP shows the screen about Analytics and then the “Setting Up” screen, neither of which happened when I installed the update earlier. Furthermore, the update now shows as installed on the Updates screen.

I guess it’s REALLY installed now!

17. neliason macrumors regular

This is an exceptionally embarrassing bug. It is an amateur hour bug. Not only that it related to their new filesystem and concerned user data security something Apple markets itself as protecting.

I’d hate to be the person responsible for it and the person(s) responsible for testing.

18. pass1234 macrumors newbie

I was previously on the beta program and unenrolled when the GM beta came out (I'm on 17A362a). This update won't show in the App Store. I downloaded it but the installer says "this volume does not meet the requirements for this update". I suspect this is to do with being on 17A362a instead of the public release. Does anyone know of a way to install this update without re-enrolling in the beta?

19. amzolt macrumors newbie

amzolt

Same here...

Wondering if I can just wait for next major update...?

20. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Download the release version from the App Store?

If that doesn’t work, hold COMMAND+R at boot and select the WiFi logo underneath the disk drive icon(s) to do a restore via WiFi.

21. mudflap macrumors regular

mudflap

So of course this bug never should've made it to the GM in the first place, but you have to hand it to Apple for turning around a fix so quickly. Who else does that? Literally nobody. This is why I love Apple.

22. Fuzzball84 macrumors 6502

The pound can't afford the update....

23. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

No.

24. joec1101 macrumors 6502

17A365

I even downloaded the full installer from Apple Downloads and it does the same thing. It appears as though it just doesn't install, so next time I check for updates, it shows up again as a new update.

25. DocMultimedia macrumors regular

Will it fix the massive battery drain on my iPhone due to iOS 11? Sorry, wrong forum. :(