Apple Releases macOS High Sierra 10.13 Supplemental Update With Fix for APFS Disk Utility Bug and Keychain Vulnerability

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 5, 2017.

1. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

Lots of FanDroids on this forum.
    You’re welcome of course.
    Bottom line is that Apple will sell as many iPhones X in 2 days preorders as Google will sell in entire year ...
    Good or bad, Pixel 2 is doomed in Android world, Samsung has this market firmly established for themselves.
    As the saying goes - good try, but no cigar...

2. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

Except WinFS was going to be something much bigger than just another filesystem. It was much more esoteric. Just google it and find out. If they managed to do it, they would have been 10 years ahead of competition.

Going back to the subject, NTFS for Windows is what APFS is for macOS. It was developed long time ago and is very robust. It's Apple playing catch up here.

3. Matintosh macrumors newbie

Speaking of passwords <weak segway> HS installer forced me to change my password so that it is different to my iCloud account. Yesterday macOS changed the login password back out of the blue - login and iCloud now have the same password.

Anyone else have this worrying problem? My disk isn't file-vaulted but if it is then everything could be at risk if passwords are changing themselves.

I've reported filed a bug report to la pomme.

4. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

I haven't experienced a single issue with it. Guess I'm lucky, or you're unlucky.

5. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

You are definitely the lucky one.

6. Evangeline macrumors newbie

You have absolutely NO idea what you're talking about

7. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

I might just have a degree in that area. Who knows? Maybe you should prove your knowledge by telling me what are advantages of APFS over NTFS.

8. jbattan, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

jbattan macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro 15TB has been stuck with a black screen with the rotating waiting circle while installing this Supplemental Update. Anyone else having problems with its installation? I’ve waited about 20 minutes.

9. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502

Phil in ocala

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/
    I don't want to read any doc...I want clear link to the update.....is that not logical???

10. jbattan macrumors newbie

After about 25 minutes, I hard powered off, booted up, it did an fsck boot, and things appear fine. The Mac App Store shows the update was installed. Whew!

11. az431 macrumors 6502

How about reading the release notes.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    What's even more logical is that you go to the App Store and tap Updates. There is no pubic web link to download the update.

12. dickie001x macrumors member

13. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Not that numbering is all that important in the big scheme of things, but 10.13.1 is currently in beta test, with a different set of fixes, features, etc.

Now, you might ask, "Why didn't they release it as 10.13.0.1, rather than 10.13 (17A405)?" The short answer is, Apple does not use this numbering practice for OS X/MacOS, although they do use it for iOS. Why? I don't know. Maybe there's a memo from Steve Jobs saying that "Thou shalt not give OS X dot dot dot version numbers," but there isn't a similar one for iOS?

14. chrfr macrumors 603

The link is here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1937
    Though I do agree: just update through Software Update.

15. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Patching a security blunder is meaningful. Without a timely patch, it could have resulted in many compromised Macs.

But I think you meant "substantial" updates…. that does address more complex things.

16. MacAwesome88 macrumors newbie

MacAwesome88

--- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    So with what amounted to an emergency "Supplemental Update" yesterday to address the disgusting performance issues with 10.13, I have never had to implement such an update just a couple days after release. They should have just waited until November when staff is done moving into new HQ. It's so obvious from the description posted yesterday that the Ball was dropped on this. I'm very disgusted because I basically lost a whole week of productivity not being able to operate at peak or normal conditions. I should send them an invoice. I had to postpone 2 Website Jobs because Macs were crashing 2-3 times a day. Hope this works.

17. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Did anyone have the problem where the supplemental update did not appear in software update when running either the final beta version or the beta of 10.13.1.? I don’t want the keychain bug, i just can’t get the file to fix it.

18. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

No, it's only available for the 10.13 public release, not the pre-release betas or the 10.13.1 beta. I'd assume the next 10.13.1 beta release will incorporate the update. I'd also assume that they wouldn't issue a patch for a pre-release beta, as they'd have to test the patch on those versions - seems a waste of effort.

19. chrfr macrumors 603

These are expected situations. The beta is a later version of the operating system so the supplemental update does not apply. You can assume that the next 10.13.1 beta will include these fixes if it does not already.
    If you're still on the last beta of 10.13, you need to download the full installer and use that. You won't receive any non-beta updates from the beta.

20. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Thank you very much!

21. plexdk macrumors 6502

To name a few:

Its the way its doing the data indexing. When you copy one file from one place to another on the disk, it takes 0 secs.

If the same file is present twice, it only takes the space of one copy. That's why we get tens of gigs more extra space, when migrating to this new file system. Also since APFS is block based, blocks that are not being modified of a file, will stay in its original state, which is cause for more space optimization.

It also has better encryption (dont know the encryption features of ntfs these days).
    It's safer from dataloss when writing files (old data won't get released, until new data is saved ok).

22. qawes macrumors regular

qawes

Just had to restore my late 2013 MBP because everything was going haywire after updating from El Cap.

Random log-outs, Safari freezing and crazy overheating. I would NOT advise anyone to install this on their main machine. Got tempted to do so after seeing the keychain fix, but I'm better off with out-of-date software.

23. Guy Clark, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

Guy Clark macrumors 6502

That will not happen until 10.13.1 which is currently in early Beta stage
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2017 ---
    I believe this bug only applies to High Sierra. So often when a new release comes out serious bugs arise. Remember OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 with the SSL issue.
    It is often worth waiting until at least the third point update to ensure stability.

24. Porco, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

What are you basing that on? I've seen others say the keychain vulnerability affects El Cap and Sierra too... it's pretty bad if Apple don't fix it for those as well if so, IMHO. As you refer to, High Sierra is only just out, not everyone either wants or is able to upgrade immediately. It would be good if Apple were more forthcoming about things like this - and at least state categorically if 10.11 and 10.12 are affected or not.

Edit: The guy who apparently reported the vulnerability to Apple ages ago reportedly says other versions of Mac OS are affected. Apple need to issue fixes for this.

25. Roadstar macrumors 65816

Roadstar

Yep, Apple needs to fix this also for older versions, but unfortunately Apple seems to care less and less about those who are running older versions than the latest and greatest (and all too often the buggiest).