Apple Releases macOS High Sierra With Apple File System, Safari Autoplay Blocking and Privacy Tools, Metal 2, and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 25, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released the newest version of its operating system for Macs, macOS High Sierra, to the public. macOS High Sierra is a free download that's available today for everyone who has a compatible Mac.

[​IMG]

macOS High Sierra can be downloaded directly from the Mac App Store or through the Software Update function in the Mac App Store. Some users are seeing an error that prevents installation, so the update may still be propagating. macOS High Sierra is compatible with all Macs able to run Sierra, with a full list below:

2009 and Later
    - iMac (Late 2009)
    - MacBook (Late 2009)

2010 and Later
    - MacBook Air (Late 2010)
    - MacBook Pro (Mid 2010)
    - Mac mini (Mid 2010)
    - Mac Pro (Mid 2010)

macOS High Sierra is designed to improve on the previous macOS Sierra operating system with some major under-the-hood upgrades and a handful of outward-facing changes.

Apple File System (APFS), a file system designed for solid state drives, is the new default for these drives in macOS High Sierra. APFS is safe, secure, and optimized for modern storage systems. It features native encryption, safe document saves, stable snapshots, and crash protection, plus it brings performance improvements.

[​IMG]

APFS is available for all Macs with solid state storage, but it is not available for Fusion drives or standard hard drives.

macOS High Sierra introduces support for High Efficiency Video Encoding (HEVC) for better compression without loss of quality, and HEIF for smaller photo sizes.

Metal 2, Apple's next-generation Metal graphics API, is included in High Sierra, offering a range of improvements to games, apps, and overall animations on the Mac. Metal 2 brings support for machine learning, external GPUs (coming in Spring 2018), and VR content creation for the first time.

Along with these invisible upgrades, several apps have been updated with new features. Photos has a new look and new editing tools for Curves, Selective Color, and Live Photos, and the Memories feature in Photos has been expanded.

[​IMG]

Safari now blocks autoplay videos and includes Intelligent Tracking Prevention to protect your privacy, and there's also a new always-on option for Safari Reader. Mail search is better than ever, Mail storage has been optimized to take up 35 percent less space, and iCloud Drive file sharing and iCloud storage family plans have been added.

[​IMG]

As with iOS, Siri has gotten smarter with cross-device syncing. There are also tweaks to FaceTime (you can snap live photos), Notes (tables and pinning), and Spotlight (improved search), along with dozens of other tiny changes and tweaks.

Additional information on macOS High Sierra can be found in our macOS High Sierra roundup, which includes details on all of the new features found in the update.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS High Sierra With Apple File System, Safari Autoplay Blocking and Privacy Tools, Metal 2, and More

2. bwintx macrumors 6502

bwintx

And here we go...
    (TBH, I'm away from my Mac and having to wait until later tonight to do this, so I'm only an interested bystander at this point. Good luck, folks.)

3. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

Yea! I have 4 more years of MacOS life left in my brand new Mac Mini and 2 more years in my MBP Mid 2012!

4. cochinet macrumors newbie

cochinet

I'm running the GM that was released on the 14th, should this appear as an update?

5. belvdr macrumors 603

Maybe not, as I don't see it yet on the east coast of the US. I really don't like that MR simply posts something like this when there's no evidence yet.

6. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

7. adr1974 macrumors regular

Build is 17A365.

8. dan9700 macrumors 68020

dan9700

9. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

Installation requires downloading important content. That content can't be downloaded at this time. Try again later.

Not working for me

10. Lnds500 macrumors member

It's up on the store. Not showing as an update yet though

11. jmgregory1 macrumors 68000

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    Not showing up for me. Wonder what build number it is - maybe not different than the latest beta build?

12. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

hobsgrg

There is a new installer in the store but it isn't working for me[​IMG]

13. b0rg macrumors member

14. DaveOP macrumors 65816

17A365, a higher build than the GM.

15. iChrila macrumors newbie

iChrila

Not working for me. I always get this error:

Installation requires downloading important contant. That content can't be downloaded at this time. Try again later.

Edit: seems to work now and it's downloading
    [​IMG]

16. Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

Nothing here in the UK either.

Quite happy with Sierra though.

17. belvdr macrumors 603

Which doesn't help those who actually have a Mac. :)
    Still doesn't show.

18. norbinhouston macrumors regular

19. Lnds500 macrumors member

?? I have a Mac and I am downloading it now....

20. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

PowerBooks G5 confirmed in the code!!!!!!!! Fanless design!

21. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

Ummm, the date on the file says Jan 01, 2000 and it downloaded super fast even though it says 4.3 GB. What gives. Afraid to install it.
    Says 14.2 MB, I love how in the finder info it says OPEN in 32-bit mode.

22. Stuipdboy1000 macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

Getting the same error message as the rest of you regarding downloading content.

23. deivydas macrumors member

deivydas

I’m passing this. I learn my lesson week ago with iOS 11. Maybe i will try it after 3 months or something.

24. enthusiastic macrumors regular

Mine's stuck on this:

Update: Now working

Attached Files: