Apple Releases macOS Mojave 10.14.4 With Safari Automatic Dark Mode and Apple News+ Support

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 25, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released macOS Mojave 10.14.4, the fourth update to the macOS Mojave operating system that first launched in September. macOS 10.14.4 comes more than two months after the release of macOS Mojave 10.14.3, a minor bug fix update.

macOS Mojave 10.14.4 can be downloaded by going to the "Software Update" section of System Preferences. The update is free for all Mac users who have a machine that supports it.

[​IMG]

macOS Mojave 10.14.4 introduces support for the new Apple News+ subscription service that is designed to allow Apple News users to sign up for unlimited access to news and magazines for a monthly fee. The update also brings Apple News to Canada, allowing Canadian Mac users to access news stories in French, English, or both.

macOS Mojave 10.14.4 includes support for Safari AutoFill using Touch ID and it offers automatic dark mode themes in Safari. If you have Dark Mode enabled in Mojave, when you visit a website that has an option for a dark theme after installing the update, it will be activated automatically. Full release notes for the update are below:
    For additional details on macOS Mojave, make sure to check out our macOS Mojave roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS Mojave 10.14.4 With Safari Automatic Dark Mode and Apple News+ Support

2. CatalinApple macrumors regular

CatalinApple

For a second I thought they forgot about macOS Mojave 10.14.4. I already updated my iPhone and Apple TVs, now the MacBook Pro and I am ready for the AirPods tomorrow.

3. lietsche macrumors regular

Does Macrumors have a dark theme option ready?

4. dumoore macrumors member

I'm assuming this is 10.14.0 and I've been missing 10.14.1, 10.14.2, 10.14.3, and 10.14.4 -- wtf

Edit: 18A391 is 10.14.0 -- My computer keeps saying there is no update. Ugh.

Attached Files:

5. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

Mac, as usually, taking the back seat. Getting released last.

It's okay, we got used to it already.

6. martyjmclean, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019

martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

I'm excited. Mojave has been the most stable and interesting release in a very long time.

The macOS Mojave 10.14.4 update includes bug fixes and improvements, improved the stability and reliability of your Mac and is recommended for all users.

Safari

• Adds Dark Mode support for website that support custom colour schemes.
    • Streamlines website login when filling credentials with Password AutoFill.
    • Allows push Notification prompts only after interacting with a website.
    • Adds a warning when an insecure webpage is loaded.
    • Removes support for the expired Do Not Track standard to prevent potential use as a fingerprinting variable; Intelligent Tracking Prevention now protects cross-site tracking by default.
    iTunes
    • Shows more editorial highlights on a single page in the Browse tab; making it easier to discover new music, playlists and more in Apple Music.
    AirPods
    • Adds support for new AirPods 2.
    More
    • Supports Air Quality Index in Maps for UK, US and India.
    • Improves the quality of audio recordings in Messages.
    • Provides enhanced support for external GPUs in Activity Monitor.
    • Fixes an App Store issue that may have prevented adoption of the latest versions of Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iMovie and GarageBand.
    • Improves the reliability of USB audio devices when used with 2018 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and Mac Mini models.
    • Corrects the default screen brightness for MacBook Air (Autumn 2018)
    • Fixes a graphics compatibility issue that may occur on some external displays connected to a 2018 Mac Mini.
    • Resolves WiFi connection issues that may occur after upgrading to macOS Mojave.
    • Fixes an issue where re-adding an Exchange account may cause it to disappear from Internet Accounts.
    • Fixes an issue where AOL passwords may be frequently requested in Mail.

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Looking forward to the auto dark mode for websites. I got a iMac, MB, and Mac mini to update during the course of the week.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2019 ---
    It has been that way for years.

8. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

no they're no snappier than a turtle

9. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

It would be awesome if MacRumors supported Safari's automatic Dark Mode. Is there a Xenforo Add-on of some sorts that makes use of feature yet?

10. chrfr macrumors 604

At this point, just download the full Mojave installer from the App Store and use that.

11. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

Updating now. Hopefully some other little "bugs" or annoyances are gone. If not with this release they there will still be 2 more chances before they move on to 10.15.

Although I may just leave my machine on Mojave. If there isn't anything special in 10.15 apart from new wallpapers and cosmetic stuff, I'd rather keep my legacy Safari Adblock plug-in and 32-bit app support. I would have to switch to Chrome in order to have a working ad blocker again since the Adblock apps are garbage. I know that it's not their fault since they may or may not be able to do anything because of the API but still.

12. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

I wonder if we'll ever see Photos.app updated to do sharing of albums with icloud.com links.

Being able to share a crapload of photos in a web link is one of my favorite new features in iOS 12 and it's missing from MacOS.

13. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

14. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

*sigh* refusing to download for me. Stuck on 1.14 GB!

15. adamw macrumors regular

adamw

Great! Was a bit surprised by this today, but understand about updated Apple News+ support. Now I am looking forward to the Mac Apple TV app that will be coming this fall!

16. Darajavahus macrumors member

Darajavahus

17. ardo111 macrumors member

ardo111

Does it include support for AMD Radeon VII via eGPU though? :)

18. BF1M macrumors newbie

Just upgraded. iMac won’t make a sound now. Something is wrong.

19. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I believe it's 10.14.4 as it's unlikely Apple would go from 10.14.3 to 10.14.0.

20. cmaier, Mar 25, 2019

cmaier macrumors G5

I can't download it. Keeps telling me it can't connect to server (immediately), after failing the first time.

Update: now stuck on "downloading new updates..." and making more progress. Could be the server's hammered. Could be some foul-up.

Update: the issue seems to be it was trying to do a nas-targetted time machine backup at the same time. skipping the backup solved it.

21. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Does this fix the Finder bug where you need to Relaunch the Finder after it can't resolve an Alias link??

22. ardo111 macrumors member

ardo111

Awkward. Any developments? What machine?

23. tywebb13, Mar 25, 2019

tywebb13 macrumors 68020