Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today quietly released an updated version of macOS Mojave 10.14.5, which is designed for 15-inch MacBook Pro models that feature a T2 security chip, aka the 2018 and 2019 machines.

The new version of the software can be downloaded through the "Software Update" section of System Preferences on all compatible Macs.

macosmojavestacks.jpg

According to Apple's release notes, the new software addresses a "firmware issue" impacting Macs with a T2 chip. Apple provided no additional detail, so we don't know what the specific firmware issue might be, but we may get more information when the security notes become available.
The MacBook Pro Supplemental Update addresses a firmware issue affecting 15-inch MacBook Pro computers with T2 Security Chip, and is recommended for all users.

For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
Apple released the macOS Mojave 10.14.5 update on May 13, adding AirPlay 2 support for sharing music, photos, videos, and more from the Mac to AirPlay 2-enabled smart TVs from companies like Samsung, Vizio, LG, and Sony.

Minor Apple News+ interface changes were included, allowing users to follow a magazine directly from the catalog browsing view, and there were improvements to audio latency on 2018 machines.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS Mojave 10.14.5 Supplemental Update for 2018 and 2019 15-Inch MacBook Pro

Last edited:

e1me5

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
Well it better fix that annoying crashing problem.. Mine was problem free until this month and now every other day it reboots every time I close the lid.

Reactions: jb-net

allpar

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
The big question is when will they fix the Mac Mini 8,1 display problems? There are two I know of: monitors not returning after sleep, and monitors not waking on boot.

Reactions: frou and JosephAW

cfshelor

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
Is there a way to tell if I have gotten the supplemental update? I updated to 10.14.5 late Monday, "about this Mac" shows 10.14.5 and software update says there is no update available. Will the supplemental update indicate anything different than 10.14.5? I have the 2018 15" MacBook Pro with touch bar.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Is there a way to tell if I have gotten the supplemental update? I updated to 10.14.5 late Monday, "about this Mac" shows 10.14.5 and software update says there is no update available. Will the supplemental update indicate anything different than 10.14.5? I have the 2018 15" MacBook Pro with touch bar.

Usually the version number itself doesn't change for a supplemental update. I don't have an MBP anymore so I can't check this specific one, but the build number for normal 10.14.5 is 18F132. See if your build number might be incremented now. If this was just an update to firmware, it's possible they didn't update the build itself, though.

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Usually the version number itself doesn't change for a supplemental update. I don't have an MBP anymore so I can't check this specific one, but the build number for normal 10.14.5 is 18F132. See if your build number might be incremented now. If this was just an update to firmware, it's possible they didn't update the build itself, though.

Post update it's 18F203

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Well it better fix that annoying crashing problem.. Mine was problem free until this month and now every other day it reboots every time I close the lid.

You should re-format with fresh install

No, why, a fresh install (almost) never helps, there are other ways to "debug" macOS.
I started on the very first 10.0b, I never reinstalled the OS, update over update, there were problems/bugs, I solved it myself or just waited for an update.
Yosemite was one of the worst ones I had, had Wifi issues for most of the year until the new OS version, reinstalling would have been wasting time.

Reactions: nvmls and IG88

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
You’ll see it in Software Update as something new and you’ll be able to tell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.