Apple Releases macOS Mojave 10.14.6 With Apple News+ Improvements and Multiple Bug Fixes

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 22, 2019.

1. olfab macrumors newbie

Just installed 10.14.6. A weird thing is that after the reboot the setup dialog for true tone showed up. Did you have this too?

Best regards,
    Fabian

2. Yptcn macrumors 65816

Yptcn

Mine just finished and there was not setup dialogue for True Tone

3. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

The Apple server is really fast. I didn't capture the download speed today, but it's same as the last few 10.14.6 beta update, 100MB/s. The download finished within 1 min.
    100MB:s update.png

4. skippermonkey macrumors regular

Super Mario Bros.?

5. MIKX macrumors 65816

MIKX

I downloaded the full installer which was a quick download. Full, clean installation took about 45 minutes.

10.14.6 seems ' snappier ' than 10.13.6.

6. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

Can anyone confirm this gets rid of the shutdown stall in the log after rebooting/booting up 90-95% of the time? This has been present since 10.14.0 but never happened in Sierra not High Sierra. It’s not a big deal (month 13 was worse!) but I’m always annoyed whenever I see these errors in the console.

7. markaceto macrumors regular

markaceto

I share the same concern but I'm optimistically looking at .6 as how you're describing a .7 update. Fingers crossed, this one kills all the bugs, optimizes the system, and ties up any loose ends before it's in the rearview mirror for all time.

That said, because of the nature of 32-bit end of life, if there ever was an exception to the rule, this one should be it. Also, when Apple releases security patches for legacy systems, I suspect they're a little more robust than they let on ;)

8. BF1M macrumors member

9. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

It hasn’t lost it’s meaning. While 10.14 is much different than 10.0 in terms of features and under the hood, the overall OS’s overall look and feel remains mostly the same.

I do wonder when they plan on going to macOS XI/11. We’re quickly approaching the point where these large numbers will start to sound ridiculous. I also wonder if anything would’ve been different if Steve were still alive. Is it even possible for macOS to make another huge transition like it did going from classic macOS to BSD/Unix-like macOS?

10. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

High Sierra is the safest. Mojave starts to break 32-bit apps based on my experience. Virtualbox for example, won’t run virtual machine at all.
    Yes, by Apple, the last version. But my opinion is high Sierra is the last macOS that fully support 32-bit without compromise. Mojave starts to break stuff and iTunes 12.6.5 cannot be installed on Mojave without modifications. This leaves 2011 and 2012 machine the best Mac that support 32-bit apps, as well as any other machine that is capable of running Sierra.

11. camelia macrumors 6502

camelia

12. Avenged110 macrumors 6502

Avenged110

Nothing but good experiences with that SMB haha.

13. TimothyR734 macrumors 68000

TimothyR734

you might have to wait and check here tomorrow https://mac.softpedia.com/get/Internet-Utilities/Safari.shtml#download

14. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

I think Apple should simply call all their OSes as one single, unified OS. Maybe Apple OS? Then, carve out each device for the OS to work separately with. For example, Apple OS can run on anything from a watch to a Mac Pro, but on the watch, you'll get the existing watchOS UI experience, and Apple OS on a Mac will continue to work just like macOS, looking like macOS with the traditional mouse/trackpad UI and menu bar.

That way, they're all in sync and unified. They're all updated at the same time these days, anyway, so it'd be nice to see a single "Apple OS Update 1.1" or whatever, with release notes carved out for each device area. Simpler, easier, and less confusing, IMHO.

15. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

Here you go:

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...hexxs7z0k9ntun8ec0kmew/Safari12.1.2Sierra.pkg

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...qpbbe2x18xbtie/Safari12.1.2HighSierraAuto.pkg

and there is indeed a new gatekeeper, but not a new xprotect:

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...vx965qd6a9yskbswa1d5/GatekeeperConfigData.pkg

16. SoYoung macrumors 6502a

I don't like the news app on the computer as well. It feel too much like an app made for iPhone and its not well made for desktop computers.

17. ProTruckDriver macrumors regular

ProTruckDriver

After installing 10.14.6 I see that it takes longer to load after starting the computer. Version 10.14.5 was much faster loading.

18. coolfactor macrumors 601

The actual download speed usually has little to do with how fast *you* are connected to the internet. The transfer begins at a datacenter that millions of others are connecting to in order to download the same thing. All of those transfers need to be passed through a connection that the datacenter has to the outside world. Then it needs to pass through routers as it "hops" through the internet, then through your ISP's infrastructure, and finally to you.

So, it's unrealistic to base download speeds solely on your end of the equation.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 22, 2019 ---
    Sometimes (usually) installing an OS update will purge caches that then need to be rebuilt. So you'll just need to be patient while it does this work, which usually happens in the background. Things will be slower while it does this.

Do you restart often? You shouldn't need to.
    They acknowledged this at the WWDC Developers Conference keynote. Apple agrees with you, and they are working to make this a better experience. Catalina aims to achieve just that.... making "more destkop-like" applications.
    Can I ask why you're staying with this older version? Is there's a specific reason you are staying away from Mojave? You really don't need to fear it. It's great!

19. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

It did the same with me. It actually did an entire set up procedure prompting me to input my Apple ID and turn off FileVault.

20. BF1M macrumors member

Books no longer works at all now. I went from it crashing on larger books due to many instances of the books networking process to now not being able to open a single book. I get an error 42408 telling me I need to update iTunes.....

21. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

It figures.
    I had no problems updating an MBA and iMac. What I noticed is, after restarting with 10.14.6, my Dashboard widgets all stayed where they were supposed to instead of the usual "widget scramble" when restarting with earlier OS versions. Why fix this now, since it looks lie widgets are going away soon?
    Sheesh.
    Nope. Sorry.

22. jackth29 macrumors member

jackth29

This idea is adorable.

23. benwiggy macrumors 68020

The "Mac Mini 2018 2nd monitor wake from sleep" issue seems to have been fixed for me.