Apple Releases macOS Mojave 10.14.6 With Apple News+ Improvements and Multiple Bug Fixes

Haemorrhage

macrumors member
May 30, 2017
UK
Magic Mouse 2 doesn’t connect anymore. Lol. Tried everything even calling out some voodoo spells, killed a few hens, chased a few cats.... Nothing, mate.

TimothyR734

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Thank you, chrfr.
I had already tried that, but the MAS does not have the full installer, only a 22,8 MB

View attachment 849947

I need the full 6 GB file, with the DMG included.
Does anyone now where can I get it?

Thank you
If you go to the macOS Mojave for Unsupported Macs you can download the Mojave Patcher and you can download the latest beta from it then install it just don't apply the post install patches

Last edited:

chris21718

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2019
Huntsville, AL
I personally had the "video going black" problem on the Mac Mini when playing certain 1080p HD video files (MP4 H.264) although it didn't affect any standard def (720x480p29.97, 720x576p25) ones I'd encoded long ago. This update fixed the problem. It must have been an issue with QuickTime and the specific video driver or hardware on the Mac Mini because I couldn't reproduce the problem on my other current Macs at the time (mid 2014 15 inch Macbook Pro, late 2013 27 inch iMac). When the navigation stuff would go away, the video would go black. After updating, I tested specific videos and the problem was gone. It's extremely rare to have a bug that affects my ordinary usage, and it was neat to see if fixed only a couple weeks after it first affected me.

posguy99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
I fixed that my installing Spark instead and disabling Apple Mail. Haven't looked back!
If Spark's documented privacy problems don't bother you...
[doublepost=1564240790][/doublepost]
If you go to the macOS Mojave for Unsupported Macs you can download the Catalina Patcher and you can download the latest beta from it then install it just don't apply the post install patches
Wow, that's a complicated way to mess up a response, isn't it? The OP is asking about Mojave, you somehow get off on the Catalina beta.

OP, use this if the MAS won't offer you the complete Mojave installer:

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2018/02/27/using-installinstallmacos-py-to-download-macos-high-sierra-installers/

To forestall the inevitable "I didn't ask for High Sierra" whine, the tool is generic, it will show you what it can download and ask you to choose one.

TimothyR734

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
If Spark's documented privacy problems don't bother you...
[doublepost=1564240790][/doublepost]

Wow, that's a complicated way to mess up a response, isn't it? The OP is asking about Mojave, you somehow get off on the Catalina beta.

OP, use this if the MAS won't offer you the complete Mojave installer:

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2018/02/27/using-installinstallmacos-py-to-download-macos-high-sierra-installers/

To forestall the inevitable "I didn't ask for High Sierra" whine, the tool is generic, it will show you what it can download and ask you to choose one.
So you are saying YOU are 100% right all the time that will be a first for anyone on the planet earth
so how do you like them Apples

BigBoy2018

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2018
So you are saying YOU are 100% right all the time that will be a first for anyone on the planet earth
so how do you like them Apples
How is @posguy99 pointing out your mistake (and therefore bad advice to the OP) mean he's saying he's perfect? All he's doing is setting the record straight.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2004
Belgium
Thank you, chrfr.
I had already tried that, but the MAS does not have the full installer, only a 22,8 MB
I need the full 6 GB file, with the DMG included.
Does anyone now where can I get it?

Thank you
See this thread
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mojave-10-14-6-full-6-04gb-installer.2190865/#post-27580585
Go to the App Store, choose GET on the right top corner of the Mojave page and the updater will download the full installer into the applications folder.
[doublepost=1564477967][/doublepost]
10.14.7 beta 1?
Fingers crossed there will appear another update next months.
Not everything is solved in 10.14.6.
I had again a kernel panic and disk damage afterwards after the update 10.14.6.
KP: Root disk errors: "Failed to issue COM RESET after 3 attempts. Terminating.
DU: warning: directory valence check: directory (oid 0x70050): orphan directory record
I was able to repair it in the recovery mode but I am still worried.

coso

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2012
Italy
No guys I was wrong, even after reinstalling 10.14.6 basically killed my 2015 13" MBP. I can barely use it. No new app installed, not viruses etc. and it now lags in animations and when typing. The CPU run hot (WindowServer is the main culprit). I really hope they'll do something in the next few weeks.

BigBoy2018

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2018
No guys I was wrong, even after reinstalling 10.14.6 basically killed my 2015 13" MBP. I can barely use it. No new app installed, not viruses etc. and it now lags in animations and when typing. The CPU run hot (WindowServer is the main culprit). I really hope they'll do something in the next few weeks.
I hate to be that guy, but there are no widespread reports of the same problems you are having.
I can all but assure you the issues with your mac are either related to a hardware problem, or some odd software configuration specific to your machine.
Personally I have two 2015 13 inch macbook pros and one 15 inch 2015 macbook pro, all with 10.14.6 installed - and all running very smoothly, cool and without issues.

My suggestion: Take the mac into a good repair shop that does free diagnosis (we have one here in atlanta called Peachtree Computers) and explain all the symptoms.
They may tell you that whatever is causing the problems is out of their ability to diagnose; but they will also tell you it most certainly isnt caused by the OS. Its something else going on.

Reactions: coso

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
SMB is worse in 10.14.6. KODI installed on my FireTV 4K would freeze sometimes (maybe one out of three movies or something like that) and then usually "catch up" after a few seconds. Now in 10.14.6, it freezes like 5/6 the time on a mere 20 minute TV show and it freezes utterly and completely to the point where I have to manually go to the Mac and force quit SMBD to get it working again. That is the "improved reliability of SMB" ??? Bullcrap. Do they even test this trash they put out? A quick scan on Google will show I'm FAR from the only one with even worse SMB issues with 10.14.6.

I'm seriously thinking of going back to El Capitan (which was pretty reliable as a media server for me compared to this crap). I've read it was OK in 10.14.4, but I missed that one as I updated from El Capitan straight to Mojave 10.14.5 after replacing my RAID 0 drives with a 2TB SSD on my Mini server. Sadly, other than an odd boot issue, SMB is the only thing I've had issues with on it, but it's kind of important since I use the Mini as my whole house media server. I could perhaps switch to NFS for now, but I'm having serious doubts about Apple's ability to EVER get SMB3 working correctly. I cannot comprehend why they went from the licensed version to their home brew version. How much money are they saving by causing users to leave the platform due to unworkable network sharing?

I installed Windows 10 on the Mini since getting the SSD since I can finally have more than one boot partition and with MacDrive installed, it can serve my same external HFS+ media shares and KODI doesn't know the difference (other than not crashing). But sadly, I have a LOT of software only for the Mac right now (some of which I can get for Windows 10 for free, some not), but then with 10.15 killing 32-bit apps, I'd be losing older Photoshop CS3 and Office among other things (no interest in using cloud subscriptions) so I'd have to either stick with Mojave or earlier or just abandon the Mac in the future for Windows 10 full time (Amazingly, ancient versions of Photoshop from 2000 I used to use still work in Windows 10 where Apple seems hell bent on driving users away for some "improvement" they can really articulate from a company that has more than enough resources to do things right by their users. It's sad, really. Appel only really cares about phones and they're not selling as well as they used to. This may be the beginning of the end for Apple if they cannot clean up their act. I know I'm losing interest real quick and I switched to Apple clear back in 2006)

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Can we change SMBD back to an older version that actually works or would it have version checks and/or other files that prevent that from working?

EDIT: I changed it back to the version from El Capitan (huge file size difference; 802kB for El Capitan and 5.9MB for Mojave 10.14.6) and so far so good (didn't freeze on the first TV Show) and showed no signs of not working, although I can't be totally sure it didn't notice the change of file name of the Mojave version like it does with iTunes directory changes, but I doubt it). Trying more videos....

Two more with no freeze. If this works this well, I wonder if there's an even better version (from Mavericks or whatever when Apple had SMB3 licensed from Microsoft...at least I think they did for one version).

Edit2: Spoke too soon. Froze again. I don't know if that means it's something ancillary or it wasn't actually running the older version despite the file rename and copy.

Last edited:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I found there was another SMBD (one of them might have been from a previous SMBDUP install) in /usr/sbin that I had to disable SIP (again as Apple reenabled it with the last update) to change. It still froze. I run NFS with the same KODI and it's fine. I don't get it. If I replace the new SMB3 files with the ones that seemed to work OK from El Capitan, it seems like it should work, but it doesn't. What am I overlooking?

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I don't like the news app on the computer as well. It feel too much like an app made for iPhone and its not well made for desktop computers.
Interesting. That's an example (but more civil) of commentary on how I feel about the latest desktop rollout of Twitter.

Well the rest of the improvements to the News+ functions do sound like actual improvements, so I might actually give that a trial shot now-- even if I end up using it more on an iPad. Over there I can live with stuff that looks like it was meant to run under iOS since,,,, :rolleyes: