Apple Releases macOS Sierra 10.12.3 With Graphics Fixes for 2016 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Thunderhawks Suspended

Just experienced my first OS X issue in a long long time. Upon wake up wifi is on, but cannot connect to the internet working when docked. (OWC Thunderbolt 2)

Supposed culprit is the use of the display port and cables in relation to the wake up issue. When it happens, one cannot even select WiFi in system preferences.

Reading solutions on the internet wasn't too helpful/ no final fix. People complain this has been going on for years now.

Eventually, I decided to just pull the DisplayPort plug. Reboot my MBP, which makes everything (WiFi and Internet) come back as normal and then reconnect to the dock.

Works for now. Checking with OWC as well.

2. manu chao macrumors 603

In regard to PDF handling, the explanation is that Apple rewrote the PDFKit framework in Sierra, unifying the codebase for PDF handling in iOS and macOS which should make it easier for Apple to maintain the code and add new features to both systems. But the initial Mac version of that, released in Sierra had missing features and many bugs. And while some things were added or improved in 10.12.1 and 10.12.2, in the process new bugs were added as well.

3. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

What bugs are you experiencing?

5. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

6. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

7. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

Touch ID sometimes doesn't work after waking from sleep at times resulting in a black screen that required a restart and Touch ID fingerprints automatically deleted.

8. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

No graphics fixes for 2015 imac shut down corruption. :(

9. Ries macrumors 68020

Sounds more like a defect.

10. saccento, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017

saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

I replaced it 3 times and they all have the same issues.

11. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

In two months of owning the 15" model I haven't seen that once. Not sure if I'm lucky or if you are incredibly unlucky.

Are you setting up your laptop as a new install each time or are you restoring from Time Machine or migration assistant?

12. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

New hardware, new drivers, new kernel, new features, new applications. One can affect the other in ways that you can't begin to replicate while testing.

13. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

If Phil can be courageous...

14. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

Perhaps it's an issue with the 13'' which is what I have.
    The first machine I received which I had for over a month I set it up as a new Mac. The other replacements I used Time Machine Backup from a new backup just prior to exchanging.

15. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

They have been swimming in money since 2008.

16. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Good to see them committed, although I haven't once experienced any bugs with the 460 (no external screen though). I even installed through migration assistant.

17. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

That would be Tim and gang. What's Apple doing? Spinning in the grave. ;)

18. yogeewan macrumors regular

Any update on new bootcamp drivers for the touch bar Macbook pros. Wifi has been absolutely spotty with the latest drivers still.

19. ururk macrumors newbie

Hopefully this fixes a weird issue I've been having with my 13" TouchBar MBP. Sometimes - and I don't know what triggers it:

1) key presses and mouse clicks are lost
    2) I can bring up force quit - command-option-esc, but the enter key doesn't do anything
    3) touchbar works and can control Spotify
    4) command-tab works - but the command-tab bar showing app icons never shows

I am running docker (release version) - but that's the most oddball application I run. Everything else is pretty standard. I don't usually have SSH turned on, so I've never been at a point where I could remotely kill processes to really troubleshoot.

I've had the machine for about 6 weeks, and this has happened three times already.

20. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Looks like Apple still hasn't addressed the TouchBar Dashboard bug – the button will only invoke it, not dismiss it. Maybe they're just waiting it out until they just deprecate Dashboard in 10.13. :rolleyes:

I just updated, and at 82% iStat Menus is telling me I have 3:42 left. So I can see why Apple might be hesitant. :rolleyes:

This is the big one everyone loves to forget. It wiped user's entire accounts.

Never seen it on my 13", although I admittedly don't use TouchID that much.

21. LostLib, Jan 23, 2017

LostLib macrumors newbie

Well, mixed bag. Yes, its a big update - 1GB and it takes 20 mins to apply.

My issues revolved around using two monitors both two thunderbolts and now two 5Ks - in that moving between the laptop open without monitors, and the laptop closed with monitors - typically resulted in a hang, forcing a hard reset. I'll attribute this to the change over from the intel internal GPU to the external GPU required to run the monitors.

Good news is - it appears the GPU switch issue is fixed.
    Bad news is that the TB USB pass through appears to be broken.

Nothing would bring any USB device connected via USB2 hub to one of the 5K monitors - to power on. Workaround is to plug the hub directly into the USB-C port, so now I use all four USB-C ports (direct ethernet for backup speed)

This is better - but there is more work to do.

22. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Downloaded on a 2012 MBP classic, with zero issues to report. I'm amazed at how well this machine handles the latest software. And the battery life is still epic.

23. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Just download iStat and you will have it back.

24. Cougarcat, Jan 23, 2017

Cougarcat macrumors 604

I love iStat, but it's paid and does a lot of other things most people won't care about. Coconutbattery does this and is free. Also, apparently you can just move over the Battery extension from 10.12.1 and it will work. It might get "updated" during system updates, though: http://osxdaily.com/2016/12/13/see-battery-life-remaining-macos-sierra/