Apple Releases macOS Sierra 10.12.3 With Graphics Fixes for 2016 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 23, 2017.

1. TxExCxH macrumors regular

TxExCxH

Yes, forgot to say when using Safari. No Safari update was included and I still get the artifacting. It just happened when I was on YouTube. I guess not a lot of people are experiencing this. Which makes me wonder if it's just my machine.

2. WeezyWally macrumors newbie

WeezyWally

Anyone know if this fixes problems with USB C monitors? Hoping for better compatibility with my LG 27UD88-W. Sometimes the monitor wont wake from sleep and I need to restart both my 2016 15 inch MBP and the monitor.

3. Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

Thats because the grass was greener and it still is. Snow Leopard offers so much more by offering less, a lot less. No iOS infiltration, Fast and rock solid stable. OS X 10.6.8 was when the platform was at its pinnacle. Snow Leopard is vastly superior to any other release on older Macs.

iOS infiltration has all but killed the Mac platform.

4. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

True story. No other OS reached the level of stability and snappiness as Snow Leopard.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I just returned my 15" MBP (stock, low-end 2016) after 13 days because I had numerous issues, including Touch Bar freezes, spontaneous reboots, and this lovely screen of colored static on multiple occasions (which doesn't appear to be listed as an issue or one that's fixed):

StaticScreen.png

and also because of obvious places Apple didn't update the OS to realize the Touch Bar was there. Example from when I restored macOS prior to returning it (note how the user is asked to hit the Escape key for help... and yet the Escape key [and entire Touch Bar] isn't visible - and couldn't be make visible, at least in my attempts):

EscapeKey.png

I hope this update fixed similar issues for others, but I've decided to wait until the next hardware rev before I buy a new 15". I ordered a base 2016 13" (no Touch Bar) cheap at Best Buy this weekend, and I'll use that for now... if I decide it's worth the risk to open it. This 15" was the first Mac I've ever returned after opening it. I'm really disappointed in the number of issues I had over a relatively short period of time using it doing pretty much nothing but software development. These were, in my opinion, pushed out of the factory way before they should have been.

I get that OS updates are needed and that new hardware isn't going to be perfectly supported all the time, but come on. It sounds like, even after this OS bump, there are still going to be a lot of people with issues, and I had far too many different problems on a new system that I barely stressed. I miss the old days when they really did just work.

6. Foss macrumors 6502

Foss

It looks like the this version has broken the ability to unlock my 2016 15 TB MBP with my Apple Watch. :(

7. Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

Welcome to the world of the Catwalk Mac. All bling and no substance. Give me a four year old MacBook Pro any day instead of the modern substandard, emojii, touchbar driven offerings.

8. tywebb13, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017

tywebb13 macrumors 68020

9. NufSaid macrumors regular

NufSaid

No kidding. It is becoming MacGripe instead of MacRumors.

BTW I was stunned how much battery life improved with the update to Watch OS3. I can get two days of use out of my watch before charging.

10. Easttime macrumors 6502a

Did you check the setting in preferences? Both my Mac Mini and my MacBook Pro stopped unlocking the other day. Turned out the checkbox was magically unchecked on both of them.

11. phas3 macrumors 65816

after this update I am experiencing a white blurred border when logging in after my MBP sleeps, anyone also having this issue? Any fix?

12. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Does this disable Trim on 3rd party SSDs like the last update did?

13. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I'm more interested in 10.13.4 betas. I feel uncomfortable running non-beta software on my Macs.

14. atikalz macrumors regular

atikalz

I also returned two 15' Macbook Pro 2016 because of too much issues. And bought the last 2015 model. My first downgrade on Mac ever. Shame on Apple!

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I meant a rMB charger on the pro. I think he was saying his 3rd party one (low wattage) didn't charge the pro now.

16. shirogane macrumors newbie

shirogane

I just updated to Mac OS Sierra 10.12.3 on my MacBook Pro 15" Retina (2015) model and all seems to be working well. Knocking on wood.

17. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

Which Mac are you using? do you have Flash installed?

Reminds me of:

Snow Leopard was a lot more buggy than Sierra and Snow Leopard was a lot more robust than previous versions - too bad there are too many people who look back with nostalgia and ignore the warts that existed. Reminds me of people who were praising Windows XP as the greatest thing since sliced bread but ignore what a mess it was when it was first released.

The Wifi stack wasn't replaced, it was mDNSresponder which was replaced with discoveryd but then they reversed course in 10.10.4. The Wifi stack was perfectly ok, it was the move to discoveryd which had no discernible improvement over mDNSresponder which resulted in many problems.

I'd hardly call the following light on details: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207483

18. Plutonius, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017

Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Searching in PDFs still doesn't work for me in preview.

edit: If I open the PDF in preview and then export the PDF, I'm able to search the exported PDF.

19. ckisgen macrumors member

Let us know how battery life goes for you on this build. I tried Sierra a couple of times on my 2015 15" but reverted back to El Cap both times because the battery life was noticeably worse.

20. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Agreed. I have no issue with tech advancement when it allows me to do my job better or faster, but, even if the Touch Bar had performed perfectly, I found it to be less efficient than genuine keys (volume +/-, function keys, etc). If Apple had added the Touch Bar above all the keys instead of replacing the top row with it, I'd have been a lot happier. I don't really mind the new ports, but I hate the emphasis on "cool" over "useful". Give me a few mm of thickness back so I can run another few hours. Give me 32GB of RAM in 2017, FFS. Give me real keys. Add the Touch Bar if you want, but don't take away things pro users need as pro users.

Also, honestly, the placemat-sized trackpad didn't appeal to me... too many false touches. I'm sure others have better experiences with it, but it too struck me as something done simply because it was different, not because it was better. Maybe OS upgrades will make it more useful.
    I'm sorely tempted to do the same. I've got that 13" non-Touch Bar 2016 coming in Friday, but I might change my mind. I sort of want my new Mac to work. Crazy, I know.

21. ckisgen macrumors member

I waited several years to upgrade and after finally getting to check out the 2016s, I decided to pass and picked up one of the last 2015 15" dGPU models they had in stock at my local Apple store (2.5ghz/16GB/512GB) and couldn't be happier.

22. kevo0822 macrumors 6502

The green iSight light turned on in the middle of the update (4K iMac). It's making me uncomfortable.

Attached Files:

23. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

3 times a day my rMBP 2015 will not turn on the display after opening the lid from sleep. (I see framebuffer errors in system logs.) I am not very hopeful that this update will cure it. First time in my history of using Apple devices that wake from sleep doesn't work!

24. frankmcpartland macrumors newbie

frankmcpartland

After the latest update tonight my Mac Pro is experiencing browser hangs (Safari and Chrome Canary) --

25. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

my 2016 maxed macbook pro is still laggy as hell with this update, cant belive this machine is so powerful but doesnt stop lagging