Apple Releases macOS Sierra 10.12.3 With Graphics Fixes for 2016 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 23, 2017.

1. joechen, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017

joechen macrumors newbie

joechen

***UPDATE***
    Just arrived home and did some test. Sorry I jumped to the conclusion too early. Anyway I have wasted $50 on the Dell adaptor.
    It is really weird:
    Apple's original power adaptor works as usual.
    Dell adaptor still not working.
    Battery bank still WORKING, 'charing' at it's full speed(12W).
    iPad charger with USB C cable working, charging at it's full speed(12W).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I really want to say some F* words after this update. I bought a Dell 45W USB C power adapter to travel with. I know it's less than 61W, but it just worked! It charges slowly but it I don't use it heavily when I am outside. Not a single issue until I just installed the new update and the power state just jumping from charging to not plugged repetitively. Why didn't state that in the intro of the update? Why didn't do that when releasing the product if this is for safety reason? The meaning of using USB C and USB PD is using universal peripherals, but Apple is killing it.
    BTW, this means you starting now, you cannot use under powered power bank as a backup power source.

2. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

iTunes song switching is still broken. Beach balls all over the place

3. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

"Enterprise content: Resolves an issue were network or cached user accounts (such as Active Directory accounts) using the maxFailedLoginAttempts password policy were becoming disabled."

"Were"? Really? No wonder there are so many bugs. They can't even QA their own release notes...

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Well, this relies on the assumption that the update intentionally bricked third party power adaptors. Although if they did this on purpose, I wouldn't be surprised. Apple likes to be your nanny and wants to ensure that you don't use a dangerous counterfeit charger from China. They moved to USB C for reasons other than third party charger support.

5. chrfr macrumors 604

Edit, never mind, I missed the first "were". In any case, I'm glad this is fixed.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

It's also possible the Dell adapter isn't following the USB-C PD protocols. In any case, my guess is that it will still charge when the MacBook is off. I wouldn't jump to conclusions that Apple is trying to kill universal peripherals. Remember USB-C/PD is a new standard, and the USB-IF is imposing new requirements. Even Apple's original MacBook charger needed a special "grandfathering" to meet the new rules (since it came out before the USB-PD spec was finalized).

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I have a rMB charger that is the official apple one. I will check when I get home to see if it actually works.

8. Miltz, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017

Miltz macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to do a clean install of this version and it keeps going back to 10.12.2 I'm using the command r, deleting the hard drive and then reinstalling os, yes I already installed 10.12.3 before and I've I want to do a clean install with it. I thought it automatically installs 10.12.3 not the old 10.12.2 thank you in advance

9. dazza8402 macrumors newbie

Me too! Any work around?

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

For whatever reason the recovery images might take a bit longer to get updated.
    But just do a clean install of 10.12.2 and then immediately update to .3. There is literally no difference.

You can also download the full 10.12.3 from the App Store.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Give it until tomorrow and try again. They always update recovery to the newest version, but sometimes it takes a day or so.

12. joechen macrumors newbie

joechen

The official one works fine or it will be a magic patch to kill all the new Macbooks

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

updated... we'll see how it goes...
    Safari seems snappier :rolleyes:

14. joechen macrumors newbie

joechen

I just hate them doing this now and without a statement. I really enjoy my Dell charger. Now it means I have wasted $50 and have to plug and unplug the power adaptor every day.

15. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

More third party tools to supplement the OS for basic functionality.

This is one of the things I tried to get away from when Windows was my primary OS.

Glassed Silver:win

16. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors 6502

iKnowMr.Jobs

You can do it yourself rather easily...

17. DarkMouseNet macrumors newbie

DarkMouseNet

I just did the update. I can no longer log in, even in safe mode. I just get the spinning circle (half hour and counting this try). iMac 5K Retina, with no issues before the update. Any suggestions?
    (Won't let me log in as guest either.. even in safe mode... just get the spinning circle)

18. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

Really hope this fixes the screen freakouts on the 15" discrete model. I have one day left to return it, considering it. Just hard to trust.

19. coolfactor macrumors 601

Yes, my MacBook Air 2013 with Intel HD 5000 graphics chipset has some graphical anomalies throughout the system. I'm now using the BugReporter to send info to Apple. My attempts at using other methods (eg. Twitter, Feedback forms, email, when desperate) have all resulted in things going in a black hole, which is really disconcerting.

20. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Safe Mode not working is a bad sign.
    See if this reveals anything: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

21. coolfactor macrumors 601

Assuming you're talking about Safari? Was a Safari update included in the changes? That might come later.

22. DarkMouseNet macrumors newbie

DarkMouseNet

Phew. Step one on that link - disconnect all external drives (I have 3). Logged right in. Thank you.

23. Delgibbons macrumors 6502a

Delgibbons

I mean you pay extra but at least it just works, right.

Right?

24. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Nice. I'd check out those drives to make sure they're OK. Perhaps the OS was trying to mount one but couldn't, and got stuck.

25. hkoster1, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017

hkoster1 macrumors regular

Terminal still crashes when editing in ViM when deleting a long line > textwidth set.
    Just enter 2 lines, then join them with "J" such that the joined length > textwidth (in my case 72).
    Go to the end of this line (hit "$"), then delete to beginning of the line (hit "d0"). This invariably crashes Terminal, and has done so starting with macOS Sierra.

Apple must hate ViM users in Terminal. Oh well, iTerm2 to the rescue...

P.S. I've found the following work-around: don't use the "wrapmargin" (or "wm") setting in conjunction with the "textwidth" setting. The "textwidth" setting by itself is OK, though.
    Remains the question why the "wm" setting crashes Terminal in macOS Sierra, but not in earlier OS X (and Linux) versions...