Apple Releases macOS Sierra Golden Master to Developers

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 7, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the golden master (GM) version of macOS Sierra to developers after eight rounds of betas. The golden master represents the final version of macOS Sierra that will be released to the public on Tuesday, September 20.

The golden master update can be downloaded through the Apple Developer Center, where a new download code must be redeemed for a full download of the macOS Sierra GM.

macOS Sierra is a major update that brings Siri to the Mac for the first time, allowing users to conduct voice searches to quickly find files, look up information, and more. New Continuity features offer an "Auto Unlock" option for unlocking a Mac with an Apple Watch and a "Universal Clipboard" for copying text on one Apple device and pasting it on another.

Deeper iCloud integration allows files stored on the desktop or the Documents folder of a Mac to be accessed on all of a user's devices, and Photos features deep learning algorithms for improved facial, object, and scene recognition. There's also a Memories feature for displaying photo collections, and Messages has rich links, bigger emoji, and "Tapback" response options.

Apple Pay is coming to the web in macOS Sierra, with payments authenticated through an iPhone or Apple Watch, and new features like multiple tabs, Picture in Picture multitasking, optimized storage, and revamped emoji are also available.

macOS Sierra will be officially released to the public on September 20 and it will be available for free to all users with a compatible Mac. For full details on all of the new features included in the update, make sure to check out our macOS Sierra roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS Sierra Golden Master to Developers

2. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

Sorry public beta users, gotta wait your turn. At least for now.....

3. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

Not seeing this one. I've been on developer betas too.

4. FlyGuyDEN macrumors regular

FlyGuyDEN

I've got the developer beta on, nothing showing up on my end yet. Downloading the GMs for iOS and watchOS now.

5. FrancoisC macrumors 6502a

FrancoisC

It didnt show up as an update for me, I had to go on the dev site to get a new code for the GM seed.

6. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well we'll get an updated OS, but no new Macs to run it on.

7. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

8. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

9. FlyGuyDEN macrumors regular

FlyGuyDEN

Ahh well the person that I was friends with that hooked me up is no longer a friend. So I guess I'll have to wait. ;)

10. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

1) I'm pretty sure most are glad they don't need to buy new hardware in order to run a new OS
    2) Major new macOS/OS X versions aren't linked to new hardware to begin with

11. Eorlas macrumors 6502

Is that definitely necessary to get it, or do we just have to wait for it to show up?

12. grahamperrin, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Wait. With App Store, I never expect all testers worldwide to get things at the same moment.

See below, thanks tywebb.

13. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

So far yes.

This is right. The update available through mac app store is for DP8 to update DP1 through to DP7. It is NOT the GM. You must redeem a new code for the GM. There is no other legal way to get it. (At least not yet anyway).

Could apple make an update for DP8 to update to the GM without the full installer? Of course they could. The question is will they? I would say it is unlikely. But they have changed so many things with the way updates get installed it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

14. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I think it's necessary. When you download the GM it shows up in the downloads as 'macOS Sierra' and not 'macOS Sierra Developer Beta'.

Strikes me that it's viewed as a whole new App.

15. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

That's right. It's a separate app. DP7 is also still available as a full installer in the purchases tab as well as the DP8 update in the updates tab in the mac app store. What you won't get yet is an update in updates tab in the mac app store which will update DP8 to the GM. So far you need to redeem a new code for the GM and download the full installer.

16. FlyGuyDEN macrumors regular

FlyGuyDEN

What's so strange is they're doing this differently from iOS...why require a code and not one for iOS?!

17. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Because for the two operating systems, the seeding and release processes are quite different.

18. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

4,77 gig on a late rmbp 2013. coming from El Cap tho :D

19. grahamperrin, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

With the golden master installer, what's the minimum size for a target volume?

http://www.apple.com/macos/how-to-upgrade/#hardware-requirements offers only the basics shows 8.8GB of available storage as a general requirement.

Here, retrying the first pre-release, I was unable to install to a 16 GB flash drive with the normal method, so I'm using Pacifist instead. 11.2 GiB uncompressed.

20. cochinet macrumors newbie

cochinet

Do you still get the DP or PB updates after installing the GM??

21. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

If you perform a normal installation (not a clean installation): yes. You should expect to be notified when, for example, there's a pre-release of 10.12.1.

22. Tuci Suspended

Tuci

anyone can share a software update plist for this one?

23. cochinet macrumors newbie

cochinet

Thank you!

So the clean installation to get out of the beta updates loop then. Right?

24. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

There should be a much simpler way. In Mavericks it's the App Store pane of System Preferences. I don't know whether there's the same pane in Sierra.

25. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

I think you will need to install a seed configuration for the gm to get the point release betas. They should create one when the first 10.12.1 beta is released. Otherwise the gm will only get public releases. At least that's the way it was for yosemite and el capitan.

But there may be more gm updates before that and before public release. It won't be the first time there were multiple gms before public release. You won't need a seed configuration for those though.