Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released macOS Sonoma 14.3.1, a minor update to the macOS Sonoma operating system that came out last September. macOS Sonoma 14.3.1 comes a few weeks after the release of macOS Sonoma 14.3.

macos-sonoma-4.jpg

The ‌‌‌macOS Sonoma‌ 14.3‌.1 update can be downloaded for free on all eligible Macs using the Software Update section of System Settings.

Today's update addresses a frustrating macOS Sonoma bug that could cause text to get randomly replaced while typing. There have been multiple complaints about the issue, which affected web pages and apps like Mail and Messages.

The problem has persisted for several months, and has been an issue through multiple versions of Sonoma.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS Sonoma 14.3.1 With Fix for Text Overlapping Bug

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Today's update addresses a frustrating macOS Sonoma bug that could cause text to get randomly replaced while typing. There have been multiple complaints about the issue, which affected web pages and apps like Mail and Messages. The problem has persisted for several months, and has been an issue through multiple versions of Sonoma.

I seen that lots (the text graphics duplication or overwrite), sometimes it would even disappear. Glad Apple finally fixed it after all this time in Sonoma. It was also seen in iOS/iPadOS as today's update fixed the same issue across multiple OS's apparently.

Last edited:

grimley141

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
Does this fix the bug where for some reason all the icons on my desktop decide to just overlap into one pile in the top-right corner of the screen (no this is not Stacks, this is an actual bug)? Bug has been there since 14.0. Reported to Apple and sent screen recordings. Still happening as recently as earlier this week. The only reliable fix is a restart.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I hope it fixes my problem in Notes' tables where all the letters get mixed up... it's been so frustrating. I have to type really slowly to fix the problem (M2 Pro).

Outside of tables it doesn't happen... to anyone who thinks I just don't know how to type 😅

CatalinApple

Contributor
Oct 28, 2016
This update is really taking a long time to prepare for installation....
Usually it doesn't take more than 10 to 15 minutes to prepare and install the update, but this time is stuck at "preparing" after 30 minutes.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 20.23.28.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 20.23.28.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 133

SidricTheViking

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2014
They need to fix the Safari-Gmail bug, where the cursor drops to the bottom text.

Also, please make it so the Caps Lock Indicator can be turned off.
I think the Caps Lock indicator is one of the best feature to be added in years. I find it invaluable. I forget about it far too often, especially as I’m not a touch typist, and have to use Backspace to fix my errors!

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
That's interesting, I'm actually experiencing a bug very similar to that when using the iOS versions of Pages & such.
I’m only seeing here and on another forum I’m a member on from my phone.

My Mac doesn’t run the new OS’s so I can’t speak to this particular bug.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
So I can finally close that feedback I opened back during the first developer preview release of Sonoma which never got any reaction from Apple :rolleyes:

Thank you, I noticed this right away in the .0 releases of 17 and 14. Weird it's only getting attention now and fixed on a random Thursday. I'm glad it's being fixed, but that whole thing was weird.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I've been seeing this in different sites as I've been typing. Didn't realize it was a Sonoma bug! Thought maybe a website issue, but now that I think about it... two unrelated sites having the same issue... makes sense it was something lower level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.