Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

truz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
My next computer will be an iPumpkin.

lol, I hope they don't start making orange macbooks damnit! I would like to see a stainless steel imac and a black imac tho :)

sucks that they did not release a black ipod shuffle, I was going to purchase a silver one, now I might wait until a black or white one is released

orange does look kinda cool tho

iPoodOverZune

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2007
LOST
Heh, that was EXACTLY the same "argument" people used back when iPod Mini was announced. "Why should I get the Mini when I could just spend a bit more money, and get the real iPod instead?". So we could continue that with "Why should I get a Shuffle, when by paying a bit more I could get a Nano instead? And paying just a bit more I could get the Videi iPod instead...". Pretty soon you would find yourself spending $349 instead of $79. Not that Apple would complain :).

Why buy a video iPod when paying a bit more, you will be able to get a widescreen iPod (iPhone)! :D

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
Anyone who owns apple stock would be excited about any product release that might boost the stock a little bit. This release, I think will boost shuffle sales by at least 30% this quarter. I'm excited, so shoot me.

unfortunately, apple knew it would be announcing these variants, so any boost in sales due to them (I think you're right, btw) would have been included in the company's very modest financial guidance for the present quarter.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
are you talking about me here? if so, in which way embarrassing?

referring to the post about some colors being only for girls--shuffles, even, being only for girls--then i suspect people are ragging on that poster for thinking that gender identification has so much to do with preferences of style or color or design. there's a generalization that people who are comfortable about gender identities don't much worry about such things.

or maybe the writer was just kidding.

Verschoren

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2005
Antwerp, Belgium
5 minutes of spare time, a movie fan, and some inspiration:

http://www.hooverae.com/upload/pics/300107/6217730.jpeg

I ordered myself this beautiful baby:
0266840.png

and that's the last reservoir dogs related post I'll make ;)

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Uhh yeah, lack of focus. Apple shifts from being an innovative computer company to being a multi-electronic appliance company.
I wouldn't call that "lack of focus" ... so far all their products are still computer-based. The iPhone is basically a computer. It runs OS X. The iPod is basically a computer, but the iPod OS seems to be on the way out; it'll most likely be replaced with the iPhone OS X.

They shifted away from designing custom conputer hardware with non-mainstream chipsets and OS, to being just another PC company that uses off the shelf chipsets and crammed them into the previous custom housing.
You inaccurately say that they shifted away from using a non-mainstream chipset and OS, when in actuallity, they ONLY shifted away from using non-mainstream chipsets. The Mac OS is still non-mainstream.

So Apple is like an indie band? OMG Decemberists signed to capitol! SELLOUTS.

Apple wanted to have processor speeds. IBM and Motorola were lagging behind with their PPC chipset, so Apple ditched them. It's not about who's popular, it's about who's best. PPC were good processors, but lately they have lagged behind. Remember the 3Ghz promise?

And you are using negitive connotation, trying to sway people's opinions. I doubt Apple "crams" off the shelf chipsets into their computers. It's been reported that Intel and Apple have worked closely to replace the PPC innerds with x86 ones.

They changed their name to signify the shift in company vision away from computers.
Yes. And therefore their computers suck. Good logic.

They jumped into the phone market.
And phones aren't computers? And that phone isn't running OS X?

All their products are either: 1) computers, or 2) run on computers (the majority on OS X) So I would argue that you're an idiot, and you don't understand Apple's way of business.

They slowed the update cycle for OS X.
Steve Jobs said when OS X was introduced that the development cycles were going to be fast for the first couple years, and then slow down. So it's slowing down. It's not surpiring to most people. Who wants to pay $120 every single year for a new OS X?

The Mac Pro, iMac, and MacBook Pro designs are essentially unchanged other than swapping out the PPC components for the last 4-5 years.
Most likely they did that to show they were still Macs. Unlike a lot of people on this forum, many of Apple's customers are not savvy with how computers work, so to show that Macs are still Macs, they kept the custom casing the same, and changed the chipset.

Quality control of computer products has dropped significantly over the last 5 years. Just look at all of the problems with heat, fan, battery, poor backlighting, etc. that has plagued the current line of MacBook Pros.
No it hasn't. There were problems with the MacBook Pro, and the MacBook. No other products had major problems. And it's no wonder the notebooks had problems; using a whole new chipset in a notebook that is 1" thick .. I'm betting that's hard. Although no excuse for Apple. They should have done better.

However, I got a first generation Intel iMac. No problems at all. Very nice quality. I couldn't be happier.

So if you list the products without major problems, and compare it with the product with problems, it would look like this:

Without problems: iMac Intel, Mac Mini intel, Mac Pro, Cinema Displays, Xserve Intel, iPod 5.5G, iPod nano 2G, iPod Shuffle 2G, iPod Hi-Fi

With problems: MacBook Pro, MacBook

So 9 vs 2 just in the past year. Oh, yeah. Apple is doomed.

Apple Computer is "Apple Inc". The new "Sony Style".
Yeah, besides differing philosophies and execution of business, they're exactly the same.

Grakkle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
Earth
Humph. I don't understand the fuss about the shuffle myself - coloured or no.

Basically it's just an undersized iPod with minimal storage. The lack of a screen is a severe limitation.

john789

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
Portland, OR
Where's my Black Suffle??

Where is my Black shuffle?? Orange is awesome..Pink? for stupid valentines day? that is just pathetic...the other colors are cute..but i really wanted the black one to match my black nano...what happened :apple: ???. Apple didn't steal a spark from windows vista release...but in february Apple will take revenge!!

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Humph. I don't understand the fuss about the shuffle myself - coloured or no.

Basically it's just an undersized iPod with minimal storage. The lack of a screen is a severe limitation.

or it could be seen as an asset. it all depends on what you use it for, and for jogging/gym, and for keeping a music player with you at all times, its fantastic. if i go to a club, and have to get a night bus home, i dont want to take a fulsize ipod with me as it is a) too big and b) could get lost. A shuffle lets me take something with me so the 45mins it takes me to get home isn't so boring. in the gym, a fullsize ipod is too much to hold, and falls out of my pocket, so a shuffle is wonderful as it enables me to clip it on and leave it, while also not worrying about it as it is relatively cheap. in both situations i wouldn't really need to choose songs, id want up tempo songs for the gym, and chilled songs for after the club, which could be easily done before leaving home, and in both cases, some music is better than no music.

it is not a big update AT ALL, but it is a nice update. Choice is good:)

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Hmmm...I am considering selling my mint (never left case) 5G 30 GB white iPod and getting one of these, as I almost never use it for anything other than music, and rarely do I need to "find" a song, I just have it on shuffle. Anyone know how much my iPod would go for? Is anyone else tempted to "downgrade"?

MacNtoss

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2007
I want black! or Zune Brown....just kidding:D i can't believe i said that (i was trying to be funny,not funny i know). Apple here me out, I want a Black one Please!

thebrain74

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
I don't think anybody should be annoyed with this product announcement. yes I want iwork/ilife/totally-awesome-super-thin-LED-lit-Leopard-Macbook-pro, to0, but at least apple released something that everybody can afford, which, they dont do very ofter (drools over Mac Pro that is oh so out of my price range:) )

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Uhh yeah, lack of focus. Apple shifts from being an innovative computer company to being a multi-electronic appliance company.

Even though they have other products besides computers these days, I bet that Apple's computer-division has MORE resources at their disposal these days than they did say five years ago

They shifted away from designing custom conputer hardware with non-mainstream chipsets and OS, to being just another PC company that uses off the shelf chipsets and crammed them into the previous custom housing.

Well, back when they did design "custom computer hardware with non-mainstream chipsets", they were stuck in a dead-end. While PC-competitors were increasing their performance by huge amounts, Apple was stuck at adding 100Mhz now and then to the clock-speed. Remember when Apple was stuck at 166Mhz bus for years, while their competitors rushed far ahead? Remember when Apple was forced do discontinue the 500Mhz PowerMac, because Motorola could not supply them with chips?

Fact is that back in those days Apple was at the mercy of IBM and Motorola. And Apple was a small customer for both. Neither IBM or Motorola had that much interest in designing CPU's for Apple, they wanted to design CPU's for other uses instead. Intel does have a huge interest in designing CPU's for the exact uses Apple wants to use them in.

Having non-mainstream hardware is not "better" by default. It's just different. If you can offer your customers a better product with mainstream parts, is there any reason NOT to do it? No, being different is not a good reason. Only posers and elitists care about that stuff. Or should Apple be different for the sake of being different, even if that difference actually makes their products worse?

They changed their name to signify the shift in company vision away from computers.

Or could it really be because they just do a lot more these days than just computers?

They jumped into the phone market.

So? How exactly does that prove that computers are receiving less attention these days?

They slowed the update cycle for OS X.

Could it be because OS X is basically finished? Yes, they updated OS X fast years ago. But that was because it was half-finished product with lots of room for improvement. That is no longer the case, they have already collected the low-hanging fruit. Now the improvements require more work, and it therefore takes a longer time to release those improvements.

The Mac Pro, iMac, and MacBook Pro designs are essentially unchanged other than swapping out the PPC components for the last 4-5 years.

Is there something wrong with their design? Should the change them for the sake of changing them? Mac Pro received a huge internal upgrade, even though the outside was left relatively unchanged. I see no reason for them to change the design. They have more or less perfected the design as it is, why should they change it?

Quality control of computer products has dropped significantly over the last 5 years. Just look at all of the problems with heat, fan, battery, poor backlighting, etc. that has plagued the current line of MacBook Pros.

And earlier we had issues with logic-board failures, laptops that burst in to flames, windtunnel-PowerMacs, cracking Cubes etc. etc. There has always been issues with quality, it's not like things have changed recently.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
i don't know why everyone wants their nano's and shuffles to match. Seems kinda boring to me. I'm thinking of a green one or an orange.....still torn.

iShak

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
ceramic white ipod with a layer of clear polycarbonate was the best apple has done.

this coloured metal is just cheap .. good thing i bought my ipod when ipod was still 'ipod'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.