Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robbouk

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2005
Nottingham, UK
I, like many, really like the new Orange Shuffle in particular. Be nice if they had an Orange Nano.

Wonder if they'll ever make the Video 30 and 80 in different colours apart from just Black and White.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Yay!... iPhone demoted from Apple.com homepage!

Although I think the iPhone is pretty cool - asside from Cingular and contracts, I was happy to see something knock it off Apple's homepage. I was thinking the iPhone might be up there for a LONG time seeing how giddy Steve Jobs was when he introduced it. Now, maybe Leopard has a chance to jump up onto the page soooooon!

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
do they come with old desgin earbuds or the new one.

Thanks.
Good question. They come with the new earbuds according to engadget:

Update: We got so distracted by all those flashy colors, we forgot to mention the neatest part of the announcement. You might remember the (minor) public outcry at Apple's failure to include those snazzy new iPod headphones with its 2G shuffle, especially considering the fact that the first time we got our hands on one, Apple was showing it off with the new headphones in tow. Well now it looks like Apple has finally gotten with the program and is including the new headphones with the 2G shuffle. Thanks, Christopher K. for pointing this out.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Give an iPod to someone without really giving them an iPod.

Wayne: I got an iPod for my birthday!
Bill: Awesome!!! Is it the 30 gig or that 80 gig Bad Boy?
Wayne: Neither. It's a...
Bill: (interrupting) Oh!! Then you got one of this sick, slick, aluminum jobs with the colors! What color did you get? Or did you get the 8 gig Black bad boy?!
Wayne: It's blue -- but it's the 1 gig Shuffle, er um, bad boy.
Bill: (long air-is-sucked-out-of-the-room silence)... cool. I need to get back to my work.

:p

Just joking. I love my silver shuffle. My wife loves hers, too. Sometimes I think more than she loves her 80GB Bad Boy I got her in September.

But, I say this:

When buying someone a $79 iPod or a nano for twice that much, most people will cheap out and go for the Shuffle.

It's a great product. It's no nano, but certainly better than the Pack of Gum on a Lanyard that was Generation One. But for the Real iPod experience, there's nothing like one of those at the top of the heap.

Of course, eventually the touchscreen iPod will put everything below to utter shame.

I can't wait to get one and gloat.

:D

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
who cares about new colors!:mad:
I'm very disappointed. I have an ipod video and even if I did have a shuffle why should I wanna buy one just because they came out with new colors?!?!:(

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Where's the computers?
Where's the software?

I've got a useless MBP that Apple cannot get to work right but thank goodness we have colored Shuffles:rolleyes:

This is SO lame:mad:

Funny, had Apple not released anything, no-one would be complaining. But since they are releasing something, and it's not the new ubercomputer everyone has been waiting for, the whining begins.

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
Or it could be argued that too much focus within Apple's R&D and product releases are for iPods and other non-Mac hardware and software. I know they ain't a computer manufacturer alone anymore, but people around here would like to see better servicing, more reliable machines from the get-go and quicker updates to the hardware/software packages for Macs.

I personally agree with many of these arguments, but also like to see more significant iPod updates than merely new colours.

I absolutely agree Steve.
Well said.

I kinda wish they had spun off the iPod/TV/phone departments from the core computer company.
I really think they are taking their eyes off the computer/professional ball too much lately.
I love some of the home/personal products but they are getting too much attention lately. Did you see how Steve said that the new Airport Extreme with it's lack of high speed ethernet connections is perfectly adequate for most "household use".
Hmmmmmmmm:(

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
Funny, had Apple not released anything, no-one would be complaining. But since they are releasing something, and it's not the new ubercomputer everyone has been waiting for, the whining begins.

Actually I've been "whining" since November so it has nothing to do with some colored Shuffles.......just an apparent lack of focus on the things important to me:D

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
Forget colors. I was hoping they'd squeeze some more memory into those puppies. :)

That will come just in time for the XMas...

All those parents who got their kids Shuffles as stocking-fillers are gnashing their teeth because NOW the children WANT THE ORANGE ONE!:eek:

Just look baks. Apple has a history of incrimental updates to iPods. Just doing enough to keep them ahead of the competition and in demand.

No way will apple not use the iPhone interface on the iPod. It is just a question of when. Once the costs of production come down to the point where they can hit their target margines (spured on by iPhone uptake we can hope), then the iPod will get the works.

Then some of the old iPod gizmos will filter down to the Nano. Biggger screen and limited video playback perhaps?

Taken in isolation the timing on this Shuffle update is just right.

Unfotunatly the complete lack of any Mac related news is currently sending out the wrong kind of signals. They should have demoed Leopard at MacWorld (a nice little spoiler to rain on the up-comming Vista launch), and given the iPhone its own event last week.

Unless Apple has no Mac related products until the end of this year...Right now I'm not recomending Macs to swithers. Not until Apple show some commitment to the platform (wireless routers don't count - they work with any OS, Aple TV does not count - dito, a phone that most of the world is not going to see this year also does not count).

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Actually I've been "whining" since November so it has nothing to do with some colored Shuffles.......just an apparent lack of focus on the things important to me:D

"apparent lack of focus"? You mean other that the massive overhaul of their entire line of computers, instroduction of new processors, increase in the amount of RAM in pro-laptops, adding of new features, upcoming releases of new software for the said computer etc. etc. Remember how it was just few years ago? "Woohoo, Apple just increased the CPU-speeds by 170Mhz!". And NOW that we have had HUGE improvements to their computers in the course of the year, people are complaining about "apparent lack of focus"????

What is this, a Monty Python sketch?

REG: All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

XERXES: Brought peace.

REG: Oh. Peace? Shut up!

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Where's the computers?
Where's the software?

This is SO lame:mad:
I'm sure Apple delayed everything else just to piss you off.

Yeah. It's not because those other products aren't ready to be released. It's because they're idiots. Good argument.

You know what would be released today if the new shuffles weren't? NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.*

God there's so much whining about the d*m colors. So Apple didn't release the quantum infinity Mac Pros with petrayte RAID arrays. Or Leopard. Get over it, those products will come when they're good and ready. I'd rather buy a complete and well-made product than a half-assed one.

*besides the 802.11n enabler

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
"apparent lack of focus"? You mean other that the massive overhaul of their entire line of computers, instroduction of new processors, increase in the amount of RAM in pro-laptops, adding of new features, upcoming releases of new software for the said computer etc. etc. Remember how it was just few years ago? "Woohoo, Apple just increased the CPU-speeds by 170Mhz!". And NOW that we have had HUGE improvements to their computers in the course of the year, people are complaining about "apparent lack of focus"????

What is this, a Monty Python sketch?

REG: All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

XERXES: Brought peace.

REG: Oh. Peace? Shut up!

Uhh yeah, lack of focus. Apple shifts from being an innovative computer company to being a multi-electronic appliance company.

They shifted away from designing custom conputer hardware with non-mainstream chipsets and OS, to being just another PC company that uses off the shelf chipsets and crammed them into the previous custom housing.

They changed their name to signify the shift in company vision away from computers.

They jumped into the phone market.

They slowed the update cycle for OS X. The Mac Pro, iMac, and MacBook Pro designs are essentially unchanged other than swapping out the PPC components for the last 4-5 years.

Quality control of computer products has dropped significantly over the last 5 years. Just look at all of the problems with heat, fan, battery, poor backlighting, etc. that has plagued the current line of MacBook Pros.

Next step in succession is for Apple to release OS X for general PC hardware licensing. Out source computer harware design to an entity such as Alienware and boom.

Apple Computer is "Apple Inc". The new "Sony Style".

gauriemma

macrumors member
May 4, 2004
Don't know why but I am drawn to that Orange Shuffle. Was the first one I looked at when seeing the colours.

I think it's kind of hot, too. Probably because it's the 'different' one (i.e. the only color that hasn't already shown up on the Nano).

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Here's hoping that Apple decides to release something soon that I can get excited about.

It's been almost a year now since Apple made an announcement or update that was exciting and full of energy.

The minor iPod tweaks are less than thrilling. Cool. But, not exciting.

Sure, colors are great. But, it's one of those "About time" things. Not exciting. Just doing what they should have done already.

Now that we've been through one minor release after another, and a Mac World show that was so boring I found my attention constantly drifting to my the more exciting work I was doing for my employer on the old PC, I think it's about time for Apple to get back out there and blow my mind the way they used to.

It's pretty bad when working with spread-sheets and typing documents is more exciting than a Steve Jobs presentation. His past presentations were the type that would have kept me hanging for his next word (just waiting to see what he'll say next). The recent announcements have been the type where I forget he's speaking and get distracted by other things around me.

Come on Apple. Show me something impressive. Really blow my mind. Show me a computer that is not a minor evolution or speed bump. Show me a computer that really takes a leap and makes everything we have today look like a toy. Come on, I know you can do it.

Let's stop with the minor updates, and resume your position as the market leader. The iMac has only seen minor CPU updates and the case is starting to look less and less impressive (just because it remains unchanged since 2004 and I've had a few of them), the Mini even more minor updates, and the Mac Pro is already showing it's age as other companies are already offering machines based on the Quad Core processors.

Now that you're on the same playing field (Intel) as the other players, it's time to start keeping-up.

Even better, take the lead.

Mulyahnto

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2006
Maybe. But I think it is even simpler than that.

MS hasn't released a major piece of software to generate significant income in 5+ years.
All of the Office updates have been minor updates. All of the XP service pack updates have been free bug fixes. Sure they always sale product with every computer sold but the margins are much smaller and sales numbers are smaller.

But remember that (almost) every Windows PC sold comes with XP installed (until today). While they won't earn the full retail price, they will earn a big chunk of it, and it will still be a significant revenue source if we calculate $100/PC and 60 Million PC's sold each quarter and 90% of them are running windows XP, that's still a revenue stream of $5 billion each quarter, and that's only from OS, not calculating the productivity software that comes installed on some of them.

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
I want a green one sooo bad. :eek:

BUT...I think I'm gonna buy a new scanner instead. My trusty (now old) 60GB iPod w/video is still going strong.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
honestly, none of us really NEED any of this crap. they are luxuries

i know Apple is doing this to make money, and i commend them for it. i just wish they would focus on other stuff. Everyone have fun with their little colored shuffles.

I meant in terms of iPod requirements...some want tiny, some want a screen, some want tons of space or video playback. If all you ever do is listen to music on random, and you want something light, it makes perfect sense. Just because you don't see value in it, it doesn't mean others don't either.

coffeecty

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2006
Mac Minis?

I wish Apple would come out with a 12", 15", or 17" Mac mini with the formfactor of the studio displays and the new colours of the Shuffles (And Orange, Please, Orange! I need Orange!). Macbooks with colours would be a wonderful edition, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.