Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
there is no way for me to get it back.

Yes you can. With airfoil. It can give you stereo homepods too as well as an equaliser for the homepods.

Here is how I set mine up in stereo with bass turned down:

airfoil setup.png

Bedroom is the homepod set up for the left signal and Bedroom 2 is the homepod set up for the right signal.

I think airfoil is pretty awesome and it gives you much more control over how the homepods sounds.

jeremybe

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2018
Just FYI, I had to go into the update section first and it told me up I was up to date. As I was closing out it notified me that an update was available.

I have been trying to get my HomePod to update as you did. It still says it’s up to date with 11.2.5. What gives?

TigerMSTR

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
The original EQ setting for the HomePod was way too boomy. Even at just 15% volume, I had to be worried about the bass waking up my roommates or neighbours. With the new EQ settings, I can listen at 20% or 25% volume (loud enough to properly hear the vocals), and not worry about waking anyone up. I can now properly enjoy the HomePod at night. So I am very happy with this change.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Ok. Just had them Side by Side

Impressions are that the 11.3 sounds clearer, the midrange sounds less muffled, the bass for me is definitely tighter and louder, and I believe it is slightly louder too.

I will assume they have changed the DSP so effectively this varies room-to-room and even position-to-position, but it could be the DSP has been tweaked and say for example it was peaking at certain frequencies, the DSP has flattened it more to give a more natural and true sound, hence the reduction in bass for some people.
I’m noticing what you are. The bass is ever so slightly less and more controlled. It’s not drastic. The mids and voices are definitely clearer. This is in a large bedroom setting. They just tweaked the algorithm it seems. I’m fine with it. The way everyone was talking on here I was expecting the bass to be almost non existent. Which in my situation is NOT the case. Bass is fine. Just more controlled.

I’m more pissed Siri’s voice is so damn loud at low volumes.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Not everyone likes boomy bass. I found Daft Punk to be way too boomy. Now it sounds great. Not overwhelmed by bass. The mid range and everything else is clearer. This is a big improvement to me. But yes they need to provide eq for the beats types.
[doublepost=1522380013][/doublepost]
I’m noticing what you are. The bass is ever so slightly less and more controlled. It’s not drastic. The mids and voices are definitely clearer. This is in a large bedroom setting. They just tweaked the algorithm it seems. I’m fine with it. The way everyone was talking on here I was expecting the bass to be almost non existent. Which in my situation is NOT the case. Bass is fine. Just more controlled.

I’m more pissed Siri’s voice is so damn loud at low volumes.

You can change Siri’s volume.
[doublepost=1522380133][/doublepost]
The HomePod uses algorithms to equalize the sound in real time at any given moment in any given environment. It appears that Apple modified that analysis system to create an overall more accurate and cleaner sound. Saying that Apple decreased the “bass” is misleading at best.

Bass in general can be boomy(Some people may like the fact that it’s boomy but it’s far from accurate) in certain rooms because the sound system is not optimized for the room or the real-time audio optimizing algorithm is not functioning properly therefore causing much stronger and louder bass than should be present therefore overpowering the rest of the sound spectrum.

What Apple has done here should be appreciated for optimizing the Audio analyzing algorithms, not mocked.

Just because the average person likes “Boomy” inaccurate sound and bass doesn’t mean that that’s the sound profile Apple should set for the HomePod as the Signature Profile,

Now, I do agree that Apple should introduce an equalizer to OVERRIDE the built in audio analyzing system for these individuals that want inaccurate boomy sound regardless to avoid complaints.

I agree except I don’t think the average person likes boomy bass.
[doublepost=1522380417][/doublepost]
Yup someone who goes into a store and compares Sonos sounds against the HomePod chooses the Apple product and now the sound is changed on them post sale. That customer would have bought a Sonos if the sound profile is like the new one with this update.

Some lawyer is drafting a suit now.

Sonos One sounds like garbage compared to HomePod. The Play 5 is better but I still prefer HomePod especially with this change. Anyone who buys a speaker based on listening to it in a store better make sure there is a good return ppolicy.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The one thing that’s not fixed is the “Hey Siri” situation if I’m staring at my iPhone X and the HomePod hears. The HomePod for some reason takes precedence over my iPhone. Is there a way to change that?

jhudgins

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2016
Can you set an alarm to a song on on your playlist/ Apple Music at a specified volume yet? Seems ridiculous to me that that wasn’t a feature at launch.

Reactions: gatearray

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Why is your phone sitting on a plant?

The bass is definitely lowered and the mids raised a little bit. It's not a DRASTIC change, but I can see why people would be pissed. I don't hate it since I live in an apartment and I often felt like I needed to turn it down lol. Providing people with a (perhaps not so easy to access, to avoid messing up the sound, equaliser) seems like a fairly easy solution.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Been listening all day. The new HomePod sound profile is better.

To the average Joe, a powerful bass is impressive and might sound expensive. But if you care about good audio, bass that muddles up the rest of the sound is crap. You want bass where it matters while still allowing the other layers to make it through.

Really loving this more refined sound.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Yes you can. With airfoil. It can give you stereo homepods too as well as an equaliser for the homepods.

Here is how I set mine up in stereo with bass turned down:

View attachment 756159
Bedroom is the homepod set up for the left signal and Bedroom 2 is the homepod set up for the right signal.

I think airfoil is pretty awesome and it gives you much more control over how the homepods sounds.

I love AirFoil, but this isn't a fix. I use the HomePod mostly as its standalone own device. I rarely ever AirPlay from my Mac or anything.

Christian_W

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2018
Track I compared: Mike shinoda - „place to start“, because of its deep warm synth bass. Compared the HomePod to my hifi system when I got him. He sounded as rich and full as my hifi system. The walls were shaking. Now the voices are extremely loud and the lowest warm and rich end of the bass is missing. People... please leave apple feedback to reset the old sound signature and give the user extra controls. But the hompod lost his warm bass. I will get in contact with Apple tomorrow since I live in Germany.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

They listen!! They removed the ability from watch OS 3 to search the phones music library. After a outcry of the community they returned it. Please leave a note. THIS IS NOT THE SOUND I BOUGHT THE HOMEPOD FOR!!

#notmyhomepod

R10k

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2017
There are things I like how it sounds now... but I think they've kicked up the highs too much. Have a listen to Sleeping Satellite by Tasmin Archer. Every time she says an s... ugh. Sounds horrible.

Christian_W

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2018
Hey guys with a hompod on 11.3:

Please try to unplug the hompod for 20sec and then fire it up again! Is it just me, or does the sound of the HomePod sound better again? Maybe it’s a bug with the sound after the update. I have two and the one in the other room sounded better in my opinion. So i unplugged the other one to compare them. Now I think it sounds better? Please check back!

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
This is brilliant news.

I returned the HP because it had too much bass and not enough treble, after reading this thread it seems like they may have fixed it, but have they changed it enough for my liking, think i will order another HP and find out. I do hope the change is quite a lot and not so minimal you cant notice the difference.

R10k

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2017
Hey guys with a hompod on 11.3:

Please try to unplug the hompod for 20sec and then fire it up again! Is it just me, or does the sound of the HomePod sound better again? Maybe it’s a bug with the sound after the update. I have two and the one in the other room sounded better in my opinion. So i unplugged the other one to compare them. Now I think it sounds better? Please check back!

I did it and... I'm not sure... but it definitely seems more bassy! (could just be me - I've been working in silence for a bit) But... it definitely seems less anaemic than it did after the update.
[doublepost=1522403238][/doublepost]
This is brilliant news.

I returned the HP because it had too much bass and not enough treble, after reading this thread it seems like they may have fixed it, but have they changed it enough for my liking, think i will order another HP and find out. I do hope the change is quite a lot and not so minimal you cant notice the difference.

Personally I've never found the bass to be too much...

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Why isn't this thread front page news, i have been hoping for an update like this for weeks now, and only came across this thread by accident.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.