Apple Releases New Firmware for AirPods 2 and AirPods Pro

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new firmware update for the AirPods 2 and the AirPods Pro, though there is no word on what's new in the refreshed firmware.

AirPods Pro were previously using firmware version 2B588, while AirPods 2 were previously using 2A364. Both AirPods Pro and AirPods 2 run firmware version 2C54 following the update.

There's no clear cut way to upgrade the firmware of the AirPods and AirPods Pro, with the new software being installed over-the-air while the AirPods are connected to an iOS device.

Putting the AirPods in the case, connecting the AirPods to a power source, and then pairing the AirPods to an iPhone or an iPad should force the update after a short period of time.

You can check the firmware of your AirPods by following these steps:
  1. Make sure the AirPods are connected to your iOS device.
  2. Open the Settings app.
  3. Tap General.
  4. Tap About.
  5. Tap AirPods.
  6. Look at the number next to "Firmware Version."
AirPods firmware updates often bring performance improvements, bug fixes, and feature tweaks, but we may not find out what's new as Apple does not provide any kind of release notes for AirPods updates.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Firmware for AirPods 2 and AirPods Pro

Last edited:

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
Wonder if this will fix the many issues I've had with pairing and charging the AirPods Pro. First, I had Apple replace the right AirPod because it wouldn't charge, and now my left AirPod is no longer charging in the case! I have had to contact Apple support about this twice now, and now they are shipping me a replacement charging case. I cannot believe how buggy and faulty these damn things are.

metalsiren

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2017
I would love to see the release notes about what was fixed, is that to much to ask? also a way to check for new firmware and to check the upgrade status.
- - Post merged: - -

AirPods 2 connected to phone, but not seeing an entry for them in About screen. Why must MR turn this site into a den of lies?
what den of lies, its normal to check the firmware that way. have them in the case and open the lid to check the battery, then you can see the about for the firmware.

MauiPa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2018
“There's no clear cut way to upgrade the firmware of the AirPods and AirPods”. LOL. and then you go on to describe a clear cut way to update the firmware

It slows the Airpods to account for the poor battery performance as they age (i.e. 6 months of use :p )
Not funny or relevant

How the hell do you upgrade these things - really not simple...
Read the article, then get back to us

urgs

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2019
“There's no clear cut way to upgrade the firmware of the AirPods and AirPods”. LOL. and then you go on to describe a clear cut way to update the firmware

Not funny or relevant
That's only the way to check if the update is installed.
Actually there is no known way to force the update to be done. It simply just happens anytime.

jbachandouris

macrumors 601
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Ugh. No charger with me. I have my watch charger, which sadly doesn't work and my USBC iphone charger. Annoying.

Not sure if a 12W charger would be so good for my AirPod Pros.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
My AirPods Pro got the update, but now the charge between the two earbuds is dramatically different, with the left at 66% and the right at 30%.

Ugh. No charger with me. I have my watch charger, which sadly doesn't work and my USBC iphone charger. Annoying.
Unless I'm missing something, all iPhones still have a Lightning port, so your USB-PD charger should still work with your AirPods provided you've got a USB-C-Lightning cable.

jbachandouris

macrumors 601
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
My AirPods Pro got the update, but now the charge between the two earbuds is dramatically different, with the left at 66% and the right at 30%.

Unless I'm missing something, all iPhones still have a Lightning port, so your USB-PD charger should still work with your AirPods provided you've got a USB-C-Lightning cable.
12W wouldn't be so good for them though, would it?

Reactions: Will Tisdale 🎗