Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new firmware update designed for the AirTag item trackers. The refreshed firmware has a version number of 1.0.291 and a build number of 1A291a, up from 1A287b.

AitTag-New-Firmware.jpg

There's no word on what new features the firmware might add, but firmware released back in June added anti-stalking enhancements.

There is no way to force an AirTag update, as it's something that's done over-the-air through a connected iPhone. To make sure the update happens, you can put your AirTag in range of your ‌iPhone‌, but you have to wait for the firmware to roll out to your device.

You can check your current AirTag firmware version through the Find My app, with instructions available in our how to.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Firmware for AirTags

Last edited:
Reactions: AppleM

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I am guessing it's just a maintenance release.

With iOS 15 adding much needed Separation Alert, Family Sharing next? With Apple's pro-privacy stance, Location History is probably not happening anytime soon.

gfurry

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
Anyone else annoyed by the lack of family sharing & overzealous stalking notifications for airtags? My kids complain they go off in class, & I can't find my other car keys because the airtag is my son's. We need family sharing now! This is just silly. The stalking features should be turned way down. How about 24 or 48 hours? If someone wants to stalk you they won't use airtags! It would also give you a little time to find your stolen items before the thieves are notified there is an airtag they need to destroy.

Apple TV User

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2020
Amsterdam
Funny thing with these updates is that the ones who benefit from them are people potentially being stalked, not the stalker, who is the owner.

Put differently, the updates in a way are not specifically beneficiary to the owner. Unless you would see it as limiting the owner's urges to start stalking? :O

AgentWalker

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2017
Anyone else annoyed by the lack of family sharing & overzealous stalking notifications for airtags? My kids complain they go off in class, & I can't find my other car keys because the airtag is my son's. We need family sharing now! This is just silly. The stalking features should be turned way down. How about 24 or 48 hours? If someone wants to stalk you they won't use airtags! It would also give you a little time to find your stolen items before the thieves are notified there is an airtag they need to destroy.
??This??Is??Not??Meant??To??Track??People!!!????

don’t be upset if it’s not working the way you want if you’re using it outside of designed use!!

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014

was hoping iOS 15 would have family sharing.

we have shared keys so we have to assign one person to be in charge of finding it if it is lost

anek007

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2014

Went back to my tile cus of no sharing. Now I have a tile and Airtag. Basic stuff like keys became annoying when my wife can’t track it. Don’t understand why it’s taking so long. Just about every tracking device has a sharing option. My guess it’s an issue with the find my app.

Reactions: IGI2

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
You can’t really “stalk” your own children and that excuse comes across as gibberish to me.

BromoCop

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2021
Apple has specifically said over and over that AirTags are not intended for putting on children or pets to track them. It sounds like they’re functioning exactly as intended. Family sharing however, I could get on board with

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
Apple has specifically said over and over that AirTags are not intended for putting on children or pets to track them. It sounds like they’re functioning exactly as intended. Family sharing however, I could get on board with
I think the OP was trying to say that we should be able to share the status, my GF and I both have on our keychains and when we go somewhere together we get "tracking" pings all the time.

Reactions: siddavis

heath_durbin

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
Absolutely agree!!! I can’t ever help my dad find his keys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.