Apple Releases New Firmware Update for AirPods

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 24, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released a new 3.7.2 firmware update for its AirPods, likely introducing bug fixes and performance improvements to the wireless earbuds.

AirPod firmware updates are installed automatically when the AirPods are connected to the iPhone, so AirPods users should begin seeing the new firmware soon as the update rolls out to everyone.

[​IMG]

AirPods owners can check the version number in the Settings app by going to General --> About --> AirPods while the AirPods are connected to the iPhone.

Apple did not provide release notes with the firmware update, so it is not known what problems the new software might address.

Though AirPods were first released back in December of 2016, they continue to be in short supply. Shipping times for the AirPods are still at six weeks from the online Apple Store.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Firmware Update for AirPods

2. nutmac macrumors 68040

It's freaky high silent the upgrade is. No notification, no noticeable disruption. It just works.

3. jakeowens macrumors member

Really hoping this fixes the fact that I can't really use them outside reliably.... Been working with apple on the issue (after having them replaced and my iphone replaced). Mine aren't updated yet but fingers crossed!

4. devsfan1830 macrumors regular

devsfan1830

5. Fraitor macrumors newbie

The change of this version is on the microphone of the airpods, you can choose whether the microphone on the right, on the left or that detects it.

6. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

That option was there before this update

7. William Gates macrumors 6502

William Gates

What was the previous version? I'm on 3.5.1

8. alecc131 macrumors regular

I'm on 3.5.1 too. 3.5.1 is the previous version. Not sure how to trigger the automatic firmware update.

9. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

It has been for many years. Welcome AirPod users. Nothing new here.

10. tbluhp macrumors 6502a

I don't even see AirPods in the Settings>General>About area?

11. BC2009 macrumors 68000

BC2009

Went to Settings -> General -> About with my AirPods connected to the iPhone and "Air Pods" is not showing up. Does it hide the version during an update? Never had it do that before.

12. mark-in-mk macrumors 6502

mark-in-mk

Are you sure they are connected by bluetooth to your phone ?

13. BC2009 macrumors 68000

BC2009

same here -- I have seen it before though... I was wondering if it does not show up while it is doing the firmware update.

14. Bradleykent5280 macrumors newbie

Were they breaking connection frequently/ staticky? I had the issue and same thing as you, replaced all components and iPhone and issue persisted. I ended up having to return them. I'm hoping this firmware update is to address that problem. I would love to purchase again!

15. macsplusmacs macrumors 6502

>Settings>General>About area

This is wonky as heck for me as well. (does not show up)

i'll have to remember to check it out later.

16. secDJ macrumors member

Yeah, I used to before. Not after the update

17. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Same - I have seen AirPods show up in the About section before (in fact the last firmware update I triggered manually by going there), but this time they're not showing up. I too am wondering whether the update is in progress, but I am still listening to music on them right now and they're connected to my phone.

Edit: I fixed this within about 2 minutes by connecting my AirPods to the charger. The firmware is now updated. I suspect the issue is that they were ready to update but that they perhaps need to be connected either to power or within their case?

18. jakeowens macrumors member

yeah. I couldn't put my phone in my pocket as they would just crackle non-stop. I'll let you know! Mine were just updated to 3.7.2 so once I'm outside I'll see if it helps

19. iosiseasy macrumors newbie

I don't see any settings either for it. I'm on 10.3.2.

20. HailstormX macrumors regular

>Settings>General>About

I don't see it listed there either?

21. alecc131 macrumors regular

Mine just updated automatically and show up in Settings > General > About :)

22. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

Same here.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

3.5.1 was the most recent update on February 1.

24. BC2009 macrumors 68000

BC2009

At least it is not just me -- I will check later. The only problem I had with my Air Pods fixed itself two weeks ago. I was getting some really bad buzzing feedback whenever my MacBook connected to them for about 5 seconds and then they would work. It would come back if I got a phone call on my iPhone and continuity triggered the ringing of the phone call on my MacBook. Anyway -- I am guessing that was a macOS issue since it was the only device having problems with the Air Pods and now it is fixed.

25. Relentless Power, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The update is automatic. To update the Airpods, conduct the following: Case lid must be open conduct update.

• Place the AirPods in its charging case.
    • The case must be plugged into a charger. (This is not required, but suggested.)
    • The case must be linked to an iPhone nearby and connected to Wi-Fi.

To check if you have the latest installed firmware, follow these steps:

• Open the Settings app on your phone.
    • In the Settings app, go to General > About > AirPods. (Note: AirPods will only display in About when connected to your iPhone).
    • From there, look for "Firmware Version" and check the number to see if you have the latest version (which is 3.5.1, as of 1 February 2017).