Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside new iBooks today, Apple also released the first update to the Mac mini line.

The updated Mac mini comes with 512MB of RAM and built in wireless options:

1.25GHz G4, 512MB RAM, 40GB HD, Combo Drive, $499
1.42GHz G4, 512MB RAM, 80GB HD, Combo Drive, Airport Extreme and Bluetooth, $599
1.42GHz G4, 512MB RAM, 80GB HD, Super Drive, Airport Extreme and Bluetooth, $699

carta

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2002
Madison, AL
Mac mini hasn't edged up in performance

Looks like the same machine that my local indie store was selling, but now cheaper because the wireless and boosted memory extras are thrown in.

Faster hard drive, better graphics card?

Doesn't look like it. Too badl

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
JFreak said:
and still no optical audio output, and only radeon 9200 graphics :(

Forget "optical audio output", only the PowerMacs have that! (and iMacs?)

Anyway, of course all the specs are the same: it's only a RAM/BTO options upgrade on the line (so, no new CPU/GPU since it's the same motherboard as before).

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
Absolutly terrible update, completly pointless, if thats all apple are going to do till the intels come out they are in deep trouble.

Fabio_gsilva

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2005
São Paulo - Brasil
More Mini = Less Money

This update it's nothing to anvy, but still a very good value for the money. Airport, Bluetooth and Superdrive, plus 512 mb Ram, for just $100 bucks extra it's a really nice deal, indeed.

Fábio.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
Looks like I'll be buying a new PC this fall and not a new mac. But the good news is I'll also be upgrading my old PM. So, then I'll have two OS X machines even though the mini won't be one of them yet.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
.....except they increased the price in the UK, you have to pay for that 256mb of extra RAM.

WORST UPDATE EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

obiwan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
How is this a 'new' Mac Mini?

Please can someone explain how this is a 'new' mac mini. - Surely it's the old one with a bit more RAM.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
so that are the exciting things that steve said are in the pipeline.

well, i think that is predictive for all other updates till the intel switch. minor speedbumps, more ram, extras become standards.

that means i will order a powermac soon because i expect only minor changes to them as well.

and the machines are still good and worth their money. they are just not really exciting anymore.

andi

the.snitch

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2004
Auckland, NZ
Its still nice of Apple to be throwing in an extra 256mb of ram plus airport for no price increase. We should be happy.

The lack of updated graphics or no extra features - optical out, front USB, ipod docks etc etc would be because they still have alot of the motherboards hanging around, so they just gave us more for the same price, and they can keep the same parts.

Looking forward: I expect next revision to have at least 64mb GFX radeon 95xx or better. Maybe some of those extra features we've all wanted too :)

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
I am wondering if they fixed the intolerably slow HD performance I have been reading about....obviously that will be a wait-and-see thing.

:eek:

eekleefeld

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Cause and effect

Gordy said:
Absolutly terrible update, completly pointless, if thats all apple are going to do till the intels come out they are in deep trouble.

You've got the cause and effect all wrong. It's because they're at the point of doing updates like this that they're in turn doing the Intel migration.

MacWeenie

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Shocked...

I'm very disappointed. Now, don't get me wrong, I didn't expect to see an Intel mini or a dual-core Freescale or a 1.8 ghz G4 or some other huge improvement.

But I DID expect at least 64mb graphics.

:mad:

MacWeenie was ready to buy. Now?? Who knows.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Wow I was going to get one for my dad, but I think I'm going to wait. I wouldn't even consider this an update. Inflation just made this mini even more expensive to own than the first one.

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
By the time you put the modem back in the price for the full spec'd one is exactly the same just with 512mb of ram. Seeing as I want to run 1gb and NOT buy it from apple (£129 for ram costing £60 max takes the piss ) this isn't an update its a joke. And a bad one at that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.