Apple Releases OS X El Capitan Golden Master to Developers Ahead of September 30 Launch

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following today's jam-packed media event in San Francisco, Apple has seeded the golden master (GM) version of OS X 10.11 El Capitan to developers. The golden master represents the final version of OS X El Capitan that will be released to the public on Wednesday, September 30.

The update, build number 15A282b, is available through the software update mechanism in the Mac App Store and through the Apple Developer Center.

It is not clear if the OS X 10.11 GM will add any new outward-facing changes to El Capitan, as many of the prior betas have focused on under-the-hood performance improvements and bug fixes to optimize the operating system ahead of its public release.

During the beta testing period, Apple seeded eight betas of OS X El Capitan to both developers and public beta testers. The final beta, beta 8, was seeded two weeks ago, on August 31.

As an update complementary to OS X Yosemite, OS X El Capitan builds on the features introduced last year. Behind-the-scenes improvements in El Capitan make a number of apps and processes on the Mac faster, and the introduction of Metal makes system-level graphics rendering 40 percent more efficient.

El Capitan introduces a new system-wide font, a revamped Mission Control feature, a split-view feature for using two full-screen apps at once, deeper functionality for Spotlight, and improvements to Safari that include Pinned Sites and a universal mute button.

OS X El Capitan will be released to the public on September 30.

Update: Apple's pulled the OS X 10.11 El Capitan GM, and it's no longer available for download. In the Developer Center, it's listed as "Coming Soon."

Update 2: The El Capitan GM is once again available for download. Apple has also begun sending emails to public beta testers letting them know the GM is now available for beta testers in addition to developers.

Article Link: Apple Releases OS X El Capitan Golden Master to Developers Ahead of September 30 Launch

neuropsychguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2008
Just upgraded to Mavericks at work (I've been running it at home since release). Figured with El Capitan coming out it was time. :)

MrGimper

macrumors 604
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I was able to download it before it was pulled, but the build number was the one released on Aug 15 (15A263e).
Yes, I downloaded it and installed it. 15A263e. Then got prompted to download Beta 8 which was newer, 15A279b. Something not quite right here.....

zonk44

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
Switzerland
Release on September 30? Can't believe that. iOS 9 will be released on September 16, which would mean I can't read the notes taken in iOS 9 from September 16 to September 30 on my mac? That would be.. ugly. So I suspect Apple will release the new OS X together with the new iOS

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Release on September 30? Can't believe that. iOS 9 will be released on September 16, which would mean I can't read the notes taken in iOS 9 from September 16 to September 30 on my mac? That would be.. ugly. So I suspect Apple will release the new OS X together with the new iOS
You'll be surprised to hear that last time around the upgrades released one month apart.

Glassed Silver:mac

MrGimper

macrumors 604
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Not really .... didn't they have the same issue with the photo app transition where iOS and OS X were apart for a few weeks?

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
The same thing happened last year with people enabling iCloud Drive in iOS 8 and finding they could no longer sync with their Macs. The OS X release was still in October.

Reactions: georgeperez

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Yeah. It still says coming soon.

Clearly it is the intention to release the GM soon.

But it hasn't technically been released yet.

So maybe the article shoud be retitled

"Apple Hasn't Released OS X El Capitan Golden Master to Developers yet but will soon"

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Update:​
Apple's pulled the OS X 10.11 El Capitan GM, and it's no longer available for download. In the Developer Center, it's listed as "Coming Soon."​

Actually it wasn't the GM which was pulled. People who attempted to get the GM today merely got DP7 because that was the last available full installer. So it was DP7 redemption codes that were pulled, not the GM.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Just don't upgrade your Notes in iOS 9 til the 30th. They'll sync as long as you don't move them over to the new format.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Well, since apple.com says coming September 30, I doubt they'll pull the trigger earlier...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.