Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Don't Like How Quickly Apple Drops Their Own Work

So SL is dead? That was the best OS Apple ever put out. Spending that brain power trying to update Lion is like juicing a dying junkie!!!

PLEASE...one more update to SL to bring features like "mirroring" on my Apple TV 2G.

Apple has become the master of stringing people along by stretching out introduction of new features over many iterations of hardware and software. I remember when Apple put out new HW/SW crammed with EVERYTHING possible to make it the absolute best at the time it was released. There was no holding back.

Last edited:

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
The important thing to remember is that iCloud is not a free service.

The subscription to iCloud comes as part of the price of a hardware device you purchased from Apple, qualifying hardware being all Apple computing devices capable of running OS X 10.7 or iOS 5 and greater. Windows users can not create iCloud accounts they can only access ones already created from qualifying apple hardware.

To get what you apparently want Apple would have to create seperate software for OS X 10.6 that, like the Windows software, could only access pre-existing iCloud accounts and not create them. Which would be confusing, and conflict with iCloud's principle revenue generation of selling hardware.

Conversely, Apple weren't going to say "You must run Windows 7 to install this client", and encourage people to buy a new OS from Microsoft.

The current Apple business plan, is that Hardware purchases get you a 'subscription' to OS enabled services. That's why each new OS is now priced at what is basically an administration and accounting fee.

And that is why I'm reluctant to buy any new Apple products. Because I know less than 4 years down the line, they'll be unsupported and on an old OS.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The one where Macs were actually computers.

I missed the switch from Macs becoming toaster ovens. When did this take place ? Heck, even my iPhone is a great computer, fully programmable and easy to use to boot. So when did Apple stop branding some of their computers as Macs and started using the brand for cleaning products or whatever you think Macs are nowadays ?

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
I disagree with you statement implying Macs with Tiger were the last actual Mac computers. It's not a "real computer" unless it has a really great FORTRAN compiler. Yet:

IBM XL Fortran v8.1 for Mac OS X is not supported on Mac OS X Version 10.4 - Tiger

/end crotchety "this is not a real computer' rant based on some frozen-in-time idea of computing.

/end parody

Touche :)

I just sort of despise the changes to the Mac OS since the introduction of Lion. Leopard was good, Panther was very good, Tiger was GREAT, Leopard was very good, Snow Leopard was very good-great.... and then Lion introduced all these stupid iOS-based features that work well on an iOS device, but not so well on a Mac.

I'm also not thrilled with the windows-like "this was from the internet are you sure it's safe?" EVERY TIME, and the idea of having access solely to apps from the App Store sickens me... and that's the direction we're heading in rapidly.

We're going from super-flexible to.... whatever Apple wants us to be able to do.

ML is just more of the same, albeit with a slew of bug fixes, so that's a step in the right direction, anyhow.

----------

I missed the switch from Macs becoming toaster ovens. When did this take place ? Heck, even my iPhone is a great computer, fully programmable and easy to use to boot. So when did Apple stop branding some of their computers as Macs and started using the brand for cleaning products or whatever you think Macs are nowadays ?

You use your toaster oven as a cleaning product?

And no... the only toaster oven-Macs were the G5 PowerBook prototypes.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
You use your toaster oven as a cleaning product?

And no... the only toaster oven-Macs were the G5 PowerBook prototypes.

Don't dodge, answer the question. When did Macs ever stop being computers ? It's obvious you won't because they still are, same as pretty much all devices Apple sells these days, be they iPhones, iPads, iPods or Macs. All computers. All turring complete and fully programmable.

So let's go back to the beginning, what visions do you feel Apple abandoned with Leopard ?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Thread title i.e. why drop 10.7.5 beta

Thanks for the clarification.

Because many machines don't support 10.8, so 10.7.x is the latest OS they can run. I don't like 10.7 either, but all the more reason to fix as many things as they can before ending support.

...the idea of having access solely to apps from the App Store sickens me... and that's the direction we're heading in rapidly.

No, we're not. Honestly, Gatekeeper is a step in the opposite direction from that.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Thanks for the clarification.

Because many machines don't support 10.8, so 10.7.x is the latest OS they can run. I don't like 10.7 either, but all the more reason to fix as many things as they can before ending support.

Apple has always historically supported current and current - 1 versions of their OS. Why wouldn't there be a 10.7.5 ? (yes, you could argue Apple never got around to releasing a full 10.5.9 after Snow Leopard got released and only did point updates, but whatever).

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Apple has always historically supported current and current - 1 versions of their OS. Why wouldn't there be a 10.7.5 ? (yes, you could argue Apple never got around to releasing a full 10.5.9 after Snow Leopard got released and only did point updates, but whatever).

Typically they release one last update to the previous OS around the release of the next one. Sometimes it's just before, sometimes just after.

Seems pretty obvious that 10.7.5 will be the last one, anything is possible but going beyond that would probably be a first for Apple.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Don't dodge, answer the question. When did Macs ever stop being computers ? It's obvious you won't because they still are, same as pretty much all devices Apple sells these days, be they iPhones, iPads, iPods or Macs. All computers. All turring complete and fully programmable.

So let's go back to the beginning, what visions do you feel Apple abandoned with Leopard ?

I pretty much already said it. They've started to migrate very quickly to being iOS devices. They're feeling less and less flexible (not just on the OS front, but look at FCP X...), and more and more like pre-programmed devices that you can't really do what you want to with anymore.

Then again, I tend to cling to the past when it comes to computers. Hell, I still miss ResEdit. (And Resorcerer.)

..And MacOS 9. And user-set hotkeys for launching your apps built into the OS.. -shrugs-

Will admit I don't miss ADB, dial-up modems (life was hell until 2000..), or nearly-all proprietary hardware on the Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.