Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thertrain

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2005
Install Problems

Has anyone else problems installing DP3? I had no issues with DP1 and DP2 but DP3 hangs about 15 seconds after the installer loads and then completely crashes. I restored back to Lion, tried to install DP3 again and had the same result. I have a 2011 13" MBP.

Thanks up front to anyone who dealt with this and solved it.:apple:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Has anyone else problems installing DP3? I had no issues with DP1 and DP2 but DP3 hangs about 15 seconds after the installer loads and then completely crashes. I restored back to Lion, tried to install DP3 again and had the same result. I have a 2011 13" MBP.

Thanks up front to anyone who dealt with this and solved it.:apple:

Report the problem through your Mac Developer Program account, you should get help there.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2007
Yeah I'd hate the trackpad too if I used it as you describe. I never click near the top of the hinge. I always click on the bottom and only when I first login and the trackpad drivers haven't loaded yet.

Otherwise I never use the mechanical clicker. Activate "Tap to Click" under the Trackpad settings and you'll be much happier.

As far as double tap to drag, it's still there; you just have to dig for it. It's in System Preferences > Universal Access. (See attached)

You can also do a 3 finger drag in Lion now if you wish. I prefer the double tap to drag personally. But you do have some options here...

No. 3 finger drag is a pain. But I've activated double tap and drag. However, it doesn't work right. In DP3, if you double tap and drag a window, upon release of your finger, the drag is still in effect. So if you tap down to move your cursor to somewhere else, the window still follows your cursor. You need to move your finger an inch away from where it is currently at on the trackpad, and tap down to move your cursor. They should have implemented it where as soon as your finger is lifted, the drag is disabled until the next double tap. (I've tried both lock and unlock options, so this seems to be a bug, or they designed it that way.).

Here is a gripe. Yes, I know design is important for apple, but you shouldn't design something when it gets in the way of usability. The Magic Trackpad and the pad in the macbooks (pro included) have the SAME problem with huge difference in pressure to activate click. Clicking near the top and bottom has about 1000 times pressure difference. That is a usability failure of epic proportions. If it looks nice or is designed nice, doesn't mean it is ok when it gets in the way of usability. Usability comes first. It is like the iPhone with glass back. Are they stupid? Maybe they like the profit from changing the glass, but that is another epic design failure. Hope the liquidmetal backing is true for iphone 5. If liquidmetal can withstand 40 golfball whacks, at least you can drop 40 times before it breaks, not like the iPhone where you need luck or it will shatter (front or back). Also, no wired versions? What, they force you to keep buying batteries, or keep recharging? No sense. Yes, it looks nice without wires, but try using it months without griping about changing batteries. Yes, usability is important. Someone needs to talk some sense into their designer(s).

one finger drag moving the cursor is intuitive. two finger moving the scroll window... ok i can deal with that. three finger drag? four finger moving screen? five finger what? it gets too confusing after that. two finger tap? three finger tap? four finger tap? three finger up does this? three finger down does this? two finger up does this, two finger down does this? it is not intuitive nor passes the usability at this point. simplicity, not confusion is the goal.

Otherwise, the technology is pretty cool. the retina display is pushing in the right direction. The gorrilla glass is in the right direction (but not glass back, or no surrounding metal protecting the front side). They can even keep the glass back but make the metal a little wider, protecting the glass should it be dropped.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Yeah I'd hate the trackpad too if I used it as you describe. I never click near the top of the hinge. I always click on the bottom and only when I first login and the trackpad drivers haven't loaded yet.
I've wondered about this before, but your post made me actually look it up. Apparently running this command in Terminal will activate tap to click on the login screen:

sudo defaults write com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad Clicking -int 1

Second to last post: https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1218257.html

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
How come you didn't reply to my earlier post to you?

3 finger drag is a pain.
Then don't use it.

But I've activated double tap and drag. However, it doesn't work right. In DP3, if you double tap and drag a window, upon release of your finger, the drag is still in effect. So if you tap down to move your cursor to somewhere else, the window still follows your cursor.
So working exactly like intended is the same as doesn't work right, according to you?

You need to move your finger an inch away from where it is currently at on the trackpad, and tap down to move your cursor.
No you don't.

They should have implemented it where as soon as your finger is lifted, the drag is disabled until the next double tap. (I've tried both lock and unlock options, so this seems to be a bug, or they designed it that way.).
How about this, the next time you decide to try something and it doesn't work like you thought, what about reading about it and see how it was actually meant to work? That way, you learn something and maybe you don't have to spend energy on posts that only make you look lazy?

The Magic Trackpad and the pad in the macbooks (pro included) have the SAME problem with huge difference in pressure to activate click. Clicking near the top and bottom has about 1000 times pressure difference.
It's not a problem, it's how it works. You're not supposed to press down on the top part of the trackpad.

Hope the liquidmetal backing is true for iphone 5. If liquidmetal can withstand 40 golfball whacks, at least you can drop 40 times before it breaks
The internal components won't take punishment any better, so I wouldn't recommend dropping it either way. I've had an iPhone break on me after a fall, without any visible marks on the outside.

Also, no wired versions? What, they force you to keep buying batteries, or keep recharging? No sense. Yes, it looks nice without wires, but try using it months without griping about changing batteries. Yes, usability is important. Someone needs to talk some sense into their designer(s).
They don't force you to do anything, and you do have the option of buying the USB rechargeable battery pack, which you could just choose to have plugged in at all times.

one finger drag moving the cursor is intuitive. two finger moving the scroll window... ok i can deal with that. three finger drag? four finger moving screen? five finger what? it gets too confusing after that. two finger tap? three finger tap? four finger tap? three finger up does this? three finger down does this? two finger up does this, two finger down does this? it is not intuitive nor passes the usability at this point. simplicity, not confusion is the goal.
Not everything has to make sense straight away for someone who has never used OS X before, and learning the gestures isn't really a huge deal for people with the cognitive abilities of at least a four year old.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
I've been using DP3 for a few days now. Much more stable than DP 1 + 2.

Haven't really noticed many more changes (just noticed that safari downloads can be cancelled via the icon in finder as well as in safari itself - was that in DP2?)

Few other things:

Safari bugs have all but gone apart from text boxes taking a while to register input.

Some widgets are working again (iStatPro)

Quicktime fails to play some of my movies.

Long delay to load update page in AppStore.

Flash player sometimes fails to initiate in Safari (latest 10.3 release), fixed after quit and relaunch.

Garageband is working again.

Performance is generally better but still not as good as it could be.

Quite happy with it in general, will be using it as my daily OS unless something horrendous rears it's ugly head over the next few days.

Running it on a late 2008 Macbook Pro 5,1 (2.53Ghz 8GB Ram. Nvidia 9600mGT)

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
I've been using DP3 for a few days now. Much more stable than DP 1 + 2.

Haven't really noticed many more changes (just noticed that safari downloads can be cancelled via the icon in finder as well as in safari itself - was that in DP2?)

Few other things:

Safari bugs have all but gone apart from text boxes taking a while to register input.

Some widgets are working again (iStatPro)

Quicktime fails to play some of my movies.

Long delay to load update page in AppStore.

Flash player sometimes fails to initiate in Safari (latest 10.3 release), fixed after quit and relaunch.

Garageband is working again.

Performance is generally better but still not as good as it could be.

Quite happy with it in general, will be using it as my daily OS unless something horrendous rears it's ugly head over the next few days.

Running it on a late 2008 Macbook Pro 5,1 (2.53Ghz 8GB Ram. Nvidia 9600mGT)

Flash 11.2 is the latest release, 11.3 is in beta testing.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2007
No. 3 finger drag is a pain. But I've activated double tap and drag. However, it doesn't work right. In DP3, if you double tap and drag a window, upon release of your finger, the drag is still in effect. So if you tap down to move your cursor to somewhere else, the window still follows your cursor. You need to move your finger an inch away from where it is currently at on the trackpad, and tap down to move your cursor. They should have implemented it where as soon as your finger is lifted, the drag is disabled until the next double tap. (I've tried both lock and unlock options, so this seems to be a bug, or they designed it that way.).

Here is a gripe. Yes, I know design is important for apple, but you shouldn't design something when it gets in the way of usability. The Magic Trackpad and the pad in the macbooks (pro included) have the SAME problem with huge difference in pressure to activate click. Clicking near the top and bottom has about 1000 times pressure difference. That is a usability failure of epic proportions. If it looks nice or is designed nice, doesn't mean it is ok when it gets in the way of usability. Usability comes first. It is like the iPhone with glass back. Are they stupid? Maybe they like the profit from changing the glass, but that is another epic design failure. Hope the liquidmetal backing is true for iphone 5. If liquidmetal can withstand 40 golfball whacks, at least you can drop 40 times before it breaks, not like the iPhone where you need luck or it will shatter (front or back). Also, no wired versions? What, they force you to keep buying batteries, or keep recharging? No sense. Yes, it looks nice without wires, but try using it months without griping about changing batteries. Yes, usability is important. Someone needs to talk some sense into their designer(s).

Otherwise, the technology is pretty cool. the retina display is pushing in the right direction. The gorrilla glass is in the right direction (but not glass back, or no surrounding metal protecting the front side). They can even keep the glass back but make the metal a little wider, protecting the glass should it be dropped.

I thought I edited it. But apparently not. There is a problem setting the double tap and drag. Apparently, the drag without lock is not working. Drag with lock is default, not matter if you select drag without lock or not. In other words, if you double tap a window, you can start dragging it. Upon release, it is supposed to unlock. That way, you can tap and move your cursor again. Instead, when you tap again, the window follows where you tap. Stuck to your cursor. Apparently, you can't tap an inch away to release the drag lock. I was wrong. This is a very serious bug.

As for people saying you should only click on the bottom, that is simply stupid. If you put another finger near the bottom to click, you end up being in rotate mode or two finger mode. This is a major design failure, not being able to click near the top. They should have uniform pressure (light pressure) across the whole pad. I don't understand how the default "out of the box" setting of needing to click to drag is even on OSX for magic trackpad users (and macbook users). It is not usable in this state. Needing to turn on accessibility means it is NOT "it just works" It doesn't work.

And why is there no option to select upload or download only for photo streaming? The Mac has 500GB harddrive. The iPhone has 32GB max. You should be able to turn upload only on iPhone, and download only on Mac. What? You want to have 500GB of photos pushed to your iPhone's 32GB? No usability testing whatsoever. What if you got a iPod Touch that is only 16GB? Yes, sometimes some options to set upload or download only would be USEFUL. i.e. Usability.

I am not a first time user, I have been using OSX since snow leopard. I have a right to complain because I use it, and not "first time". Designers need to be reigned in if it is not usable. Just because it looks cool doesn't mean it is ok. They have to think of whether it is usable. Common sense is also required.

As for trackpad with wired. Apple doesn't sell it. You would need to buy it elsewhere (I think mobee). Serious, I think they don't even have people even do usability testing for long term to iron out the problems. No one likes changing their batteries every 3 weeks. No one likes taking them out and charging them. Can you imagine there is NO wired version for Magic trackpad from apple? They force you to buy something that requires changing batteries.

You can have good designers, but you also need brains. People with common sense. Memorizing 3 4 5 finger gestures is NOT intuitive, nor a good design. Put some meat into the GUI design. You can have it so that you can have visual feedback to initiate the different modes using one or two fingers. I thought apple wanted to stick to one button on the mouse? Now they backtrack and want to have 5 finger plus direction? For example, if you move your cursor near the left of the screen, a small pane can slide out, and you can drag it to slide to next "full screen" using only one finger drag or two finger drag. At the rate apple is going, instead of putting your cursor near the edge of a window to resize, they force you to memorize 5 finger zig zag motion to start the window resize. It is just bad design and stupid. Just like having glass front and back and by default don't test whether the phone can survive a fall without cracking. A simple increase in width of metal to protect it would have solved the problem. Or design a glass that can survive drops. If you can't increase the metal width. It is a major design problem. Just like the difference in clicking pressure on the trackpad.

Ok. My gripe is done. You can flame away.

Last edited:

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
You know what irritates me the most about the site? Is when someone posts 10 points against some Apple technology, someone else has the obsessive need to refute ALL 10 points. :confused:

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
You know what irritates me the most about the site? Is when someone posts 10 points against some Apple technology, someone else has the obsessive need to refute ALL 10 points. :confused:

If those points are inaccurate then they need to be refuted one by one rather than just sitting there spreading misinformation. It has nothing to do with defending Apple and everything with wanting honesty and accuracy in the discussion.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
http://www.apple.com/feedback

I like many of the new features. However, some features carried over from Lion need implementation improvements.

Apple needs to provide users with options allowing users to control the implementation of Mountain Lion features in their work environments.

Here is my list:

Versions - Great Idea, implementation needs refinement

Versions needs to provide users with an option to change default behavior for specific apps. Versions can be useful in Pages or Numbers but it can be a real irritant in Preview. An option to change Versions default behavior for a specific app could be placed inside of Get Info.

Restore Save As along with Save A Version - Save As did two things easily, new name, new location. The new system of Duplicate, Save A Version and Export is not as easy or useful as Save As. Windows switchers in particular are irate over the loss of Save As.

Resume – Good Idea, implementation needs refinement

Resume needs to provide users with an option to change default behavior for specific apps. Resume can be useful in Safari but it can be a real irritant in Preview or Quicktime. An option to change Resume's default behavior for a specific app could be placed inside of Get Info.

Please See:

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/09/07/apple_mac_os_x_lion_the_nanny_os/

Automatic Application Termination - modify implementation

Automatic Termination needs an option to change system wide default behavior. Automatic Application Termination might be useful for some users but it can be a real irritant for experienced users.

When the application automatically terminates without user permission, it is the same to the user as an application crash!

Please See http://vimeo.com/34711608

Reopen Windows Next Time

Option in System Preferences to eliminate “reopen windows next time”. (Reduce the frustration of having to recheck this option each time the computer is restarted). It would be nice if Mountain Lion would allow users to permanently set preferences so the question never appeared.

AutoSave

AutoSave needs to provide users with an option to change the default behavior for specific apps. AutoSave can be useful in Pages or Numbers but it can be a real irritant in Preview. An option to change AutoSave default behavior for a specific app could be placed inside of Get Info.

Restore option for colored icons in finder sidebar - Colored icons really help in providing tech support to clients.

Restore Quick Look – zoom in on pdfs.

Columns that resize properly in “Kind View".

Optional restoration of scroll arrows

This is a major issue when the computer requires small steady input - photo and video editing, spreadsheets, databases etc.

Please see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3252617?start=0&tstart=0

Mouse Speed & Acceleration

Need an option to set both mouse pointer speed and acceleration curve. (Most frequent complaint I receive from former Windows users).

Green Zoom Button Behavior

Option in System Preferences to set Green Zoom button to Window Maximize - (Window fills screen except for Dock). As it stands now it is up to each developer how this function works therefore the behavior is very inconsistent.
Second most frequent complaint I receive from Windows switchers.

Client Comment:

"I have looked at the iMac carefully, as my kids have one at home. Even though I'd like to switch to Apple, I find two issues with the Mac unacceptable for my purposes .

The inability to fully maximize a program is irritating, as I am used to doing that regularly. Also the cursor movements with the mouse are too jerky. Unfortunately these 2 features will force me to continue down the Microsoft OS path."

Mission Control - Add a single checkmark in System Preferences to allow ungrouped windows to appear when Mission Control is activated.

If you agree, please send this note to Apple at http://www.apple.com/feedback
Nice, I agree with many of those.

MadMitch89

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Lion was released 20th July. Mountain Lion seems to be well ahead of development compared to Lion at this stage. I can't imagine it will be released later than Lion. I expect early July; launched with the new Macbook Air.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
There is a problem setting the double tap and drag. Apparently, the drag without lock is not working. Drag with lock is default, not matter if you select drag without lock or not. In other words, if you double tap a window, you can start dragging it. Upon release, it is supposed to unlock. That way, you can tap and move your cursor again. Instead, when you tap again, the window follows where you tap. Stuck to your cursor. Apparently, you can't tap an inch away to release the drag lock. I was wrong. This is a very serious bug.
If you believe it's a bug, report it to Apple.

As for people saying you should only click on the bottom, that is simply stupid. If you put another finger near the bottom to click, you end up being in rotate mode or two finger mode.
That has never once happened to me, has it to you?

This is a major design failure, not being able to click near the top.
No, it's exactly how it's intended to be.

I don't understand how the default "out of the box" setting of needing to click to drag is even on OSX for magic trackpad users (and macbook users). It is not usable in this state. Needing to turn on accessibility means it is NOT "it just works" It doesn't work.
Do you think it might be possible that which settings are and aren't active out of the box might have something to do with what the majority of OS X users are using? Also, tap to click and such are functions that aren't very easy to use for people who might not be used to using a trackpad, older people, people with disabilities and so on.

And why is there no option to select upload or download only for photo streaming? The Mac has 500GB harddrive. The iPhone has 32GB max. You should be able to turn upload only on iPhone, and download only on Mac. What? You want to have 500GB of photos pushed to your iPhone's 32GB? No usability testing whatsoever. What if you got a iPod Touch that is only 16GB? Yes, sometimes some options to set upload or download only would be USEFUL. i.e. Usability.
I'm not sure what you mean, are you talking about Photo Stream? If you have 1 000 pictures (the maximum amount in Photo Stream) taking up 500 GB, it means your photos weigh in at 500 MB each. Do they?

I am not a first time user, I have been using OSX since snow leopard.
Which is why your posts are so strange.

I have a right to complain because I use it, and not "first time". Designers need to be reigned in if it is not usable. Just because it looks cool doesn't mean it is ok. They have to think of whether it is usable. Common sense is also required.
I was just thinking the same thing.

As for trackpad with wired. Apple doesn't sell it. You would need to buy it elsewhere (I think mobee). Serious, I think they don't even have people even do usability testing for long term to iron out the problems. No one likes changing their batteries every 3 weeks. No one likes taking them out and charging them. Can you imagine there is NO wired version for Magic trackpad from apple? They force you to buy something that requires changing batteries.
They don't force you to do anything. But do the batteries in your trackpad really only last for three weeks?

You can have good designers, but you also need brains. People with common sense. Memorizing 3 4 5 finger gestures is NOT intuitive, nor a good design.
Which ones of the current gestures do you have problems using because you can't remember them?

Put some meat into the GUI design. You can have it so that you can have visual feedback to initiate the different modes using one or two fingers.
That could be a good option to have in the Accessibility settings, but it would seriously decrease the productivity for most people.

I thought apple wanted to stick to one button on the mouse? Now they backtrack and want to have 5 finger plus direction?
It's not backtracking one bit.

For example, if you move your cursor near the left of the screen, a small pane can slide out, and you can drag it to slide to next "full screen" using only one finger drag or two finger drag.
Do you really think that's more intuitive or easier to remember than a three finger swipe? It's a good idea to add for those having problems, but not to replace.

It is just bad design and stupid.
You are actually the only person I've ever seen critiquing the gestures for not being intuitive enough.

----------

Well, there is a slight difference between not caring for something and saying it's not working based on nothing else than being uninformed...

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
As for people saying you should only click on the bottom, that is simply stupid.

It makes sense if you have used the older laptops where the lower part was a separate key, and the top part was not clickable at all. You'd keep your thumb on the bottom, and use fingers to point.
I'm not saying that makes a single surface with varying pressure sensitive better or worse, just that this is a forum of oldfags and filing a bug with Apple & silently raging is your only realistic choice. Unless you are influential and can publicly shame them too.

And why is there no option to select upload or download only for photo streaming?

I also want to shoot on my phone and view (and store) on my iPad only.
I think the best way is to lobby Dropbox and other cloud companies - they are already ahead of iDisk and could easily overtake Photo Stream. Android can already upload photos to Dropbox in the background, and it can easily be configured for shared use even. I wouldn't be surprised to see their iOS version catching up here.

cammonro

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2008

That sounds like a bug to me. I'm not running ML but changing the setting works as expected in Lion. You definitely should file a bug report with Apple.

As far as 3 finger drag that's your opinion. I thought it was cool. I only disabled mine so I could use other 3 finger gestures instead.

Actually all they did was remove the click buttons at the bottom of the trackpad and instead made the trackpad one big button. If you ask me that's improved usability because you have more area to click. No one says you have to click at the top of the trackpad. How is saying "It's more ergonomic to click the bottom of the trackpad" any different from a standard trackpad that requires you to click a button at the bottom because that's where the button is?

As far as wired versions - you have a point but I suspect the market for that is small. I've never had a problem with my wireless versions of Apple products and prefer it over wires that get in the way. I'd recommend you buy a battery recharger.

Again that is your opinion. I happen to love the gestures and find them very intuitive and easy to adapt to. BUT you don't have to use those gestures. There are function keys and keyboard shortcuts that do the same thing.

----------

I've wondered about this before, but your post made me actually look it up. Apparently running this command in Terminal will activate tap to click on the login screen:

sudo defaults write com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad Clicking -int 1

Second to last post: https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1218257.html

Dude! Thank you. It works! Awesome tip.

Now I never have to click my trackpad button. :)

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Exactly. People need to realize that this forum is NOT for people pointing out the mistakes or flaws for products.

It is ONLY for the best parts of the products....anything negative? STOP! Go somewhere else!

You're not as funny as you think you are.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Have you used Apple's 11" and 13" laptops?

Yeah. Used the Dec 2010 13" Air for a good six months, never felt the need to maximise anything. I don't think I would enjoy the 11" but there are plenty of bigger screens with that same resolution so it still shouldn't be a problem. I then put Windows 7 on the 13" Air and now my mother uses it - and I'm pretty sure nothing gets maximised :).

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Yeah. Used the Dec 2010 13" Air for a good six months, never felt the need to maximise anything. I don't think I would enjoy the 11" but there are plenty of bigger screens with that same resolution so it still shouldn't be a problem. I then put Windows 7 on the 13" Air and now my mother uses it - and I'm pretty sure nothing gets maximised :).

Have you surfed on this very forum on that resolution? In order to not having to scroll to the sides, you pretty much have to make the browser window as wide as the screen. The step from there to maximization isn't very big... Safari, Mail and iTunes (and sometimes iPhoto) are full screen on my computer, the rest is in "window mode".

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
DP4 was released a few days ago, probably a few more weeks until the next one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.