Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MasterMac

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
The phone cost me £500, that's an item I wanted to take care of, I wouldn't want to use a scratched up phone and how about protecting my investment and ensure decent resale value, making sure it did not get damaged hence part of the reason I put the bumper on...

The main reason I put the bumper on was to stop deathgrip, signal loss.

Your opinion is invalid, the industry of case and screen protector making wouldn't exist if the majority of people thought like yourself. Even Apple themselves make protective cases / bumpers for there own products because they know there is money to be made and consumers buying premium devices like to take care of them.

It doesn't matter whether its an iPhone or a £10 Nokia I take care of everything I own and if I feel a protector or a case is needed I will buy it.
His opinion isn't invalid, it's just not the most popular one. I know many people who don't use any cases with their iPhones (and they still look really new).

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Looks like the 4S will stick around for the next generation as the entry level iPhone. This isn't a shocker but there is no way Apple would release an accessory for a device they are discontinuing in a month.

Of course.

"entry" is just perception. Every new customer should get the newest model when you're signed onto a 2 year contract. A $50 phone vs a $199 phone over 2 years is nothing.

I hope you spread the word to your clients of this Lou.

Radio

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Selling special edition colored iPhones with partial proceeds going to a charity fund would've certainly been an option (red for AIDS, green for rain forest, yellow for cancer, etc.).

I would've bought a blue one, but I wouldn't know what charity it could support...

Sure hope not. We've already been down this road before regarding shallow empathy. :(

If one wants to show support for AIDS, Rain Forest, Cancer, etc., to borrow a phrase from Nike, "Just Do It!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs35U6LGHgw
/
/
/

Last edited:

barryl85

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
His opinion isn't invalid, it's just not the most popular one. I know many people who don't use any cases with their iPhones (and they still look really new).

Yeah maybe I worded that part very wrong...

After I got my iPhone replaced I didn't use any case just screen protectors and I was very (even more careful) with it and it remained almost immaculate till I sold it.

I had to be extremely careful with it and even being so careful it still ended up with a couple of marks and nicks that I had no idea how they got there, If I had a different case than the bumper these probably wouldn't have been there at all but I really didn't want the metal getting scuffed up again because of a case/bumper.

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2011
Aids is such a boring charity..i mean how many people do you know with aids??

Far more than I realize. After living in Africa for a couple of years and attending numerous funerals for friends and family of friends who "got sick and died" you start to realize that this is still a pervasive disease in places least prepared to battle it.

fidelityrevo

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2002
How about making a good sounding iPhone?

Hmmmm shall I buy....
Nah

Maybe instead of focusing on eye candy Apple could try to make the phone excellent at what phones are supposed to do, which is of course have "excellent sound". If they could match a regular phone land line that would be good. It would be okay if they could at least match the best cell phone on the market in terms of sound. But the iphones are generally bad at sound. Especially in the era of internet telephony, it should be possible to improve it as long as there is a wifi connection. The speaker phone on the iphones are worthless except to hear, never to talk. When two iphones call each other, you have to make it short or go crazy.

mute-posting

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
Not discrediting Apples charitable behaviour at all, but it would be great if Apple gave all of the profits from the sale of this bumper to charity rather than pocketing 50% of it for themselves.

At least Apple don't charge Extra for the product RED items, so you know Apple are contributing SOMETHING.

A few years ago, I was looking at speccing a Dell netbook with a product red case and the price jumped up so DELL were obviously contributing nothing themselves from the sale.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Red + Black is a great color combination. White + Red looks like a candy cane :)

Though I guess the latter is Christmas-y and jolly :D

Side note: The Elago case we're both using is fantastic. It's not even as thick as the Apple bumpers but covers the rear, has super tight tolerances, uses a great "soft touch" material. Plus the lower section is modular so you can make pretty neat color combos (mine is currently dark blue + orange ... and no, I don't follow UofF or the Broncos :D )

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI

Charities aren't meant to be exciting. They're meant to fund research, solve medical and social problems...you know, boring stuff like that. You may not personally know anyone with AIDS, and I understand that most people feel a greater connection to charities that have a personal meaning to them. But to complain that a charity is "boring" because you don't know anyone afflicted with the medical condition they're working to end...that comes off as being an incredibly shallow comment. I don't personally know anyone that's starving or doesn't have water to drink, but I still realize that those conditions exist and are important, regardless of whether or not I choose to contribute money to them.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
It is sad to see Apple pulled into the (RED) "Charity"

RED has raised millions of money to help Africa, but most of the money, over 90% goes to cover their overhead, marketing and advertising. Simply put next to nothing actually goes to help people in Africa. It is more of a PR and awareness campaign with very high costs.

So, buy it if you like the color and want to buy a bumper before the new phone comes out.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I'm fine with these products, but I hate it when someone corners me on a bus and asks why I didn't buy it to support charity. Well, why didn't you just donate instead of having to purchase something to feel good?

er, what? when does that EVER happen?

----------

It's about time even though the new iPhone is imminent. Odds are they'll keep the 4 and 4S around for another year anyways so why not.

considering that the 3GS is still available from carriers id say there is absolutely no question that the 4-series will be around for some time.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Not discrediting Apples charitable behaviour at all, but it would be great if Apple gave all of the profits from the sale of this bumper to charity rather than pocketing 50% of it for themselves.
Anyone who has a problem with how (Red) publicizes and markets its campaign can circumvent the whole "money grab" and donate directly to the UN Foundation.

Heck, if you don't want the greedy credit card company to walk away with the merchant transaction fee, you can write a check to the UN Foundation.

And if you were really super-duper socially responsible, you probably wouldn't be donating cash anyhow. You'd be donating fully appreciated assets like stocks and giving the full amount, rather than forking over a chunk of taxes to the government.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Forget about this red bumper. Im anxious to see the new iPhone case that is supposedly gonna turn the whole industry upside down.

Maybe an iPhone case with a KICKSTAND. That will be REVOLUTIONARY.

(Sarcasm at Microsoft fanboys who fell in love with the kickstand).

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
It is sad to see Apple pulled into the (RED) "Charity"

RED has raised millions of money to help Africa, but most of the money, over 90% goes to cover their overhead, marketing and advertising. Simply put next to nothing actually goes to help people in Africa. It is more of a PR and awareness campaign with very high costs.

So, buy it if you like the color and want to buy a bumper before the new phone comes out.

Apple has been doing (RED) stuff for YEARS. Where have you been, friend?

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
How is it that I can up vote this but not down vote it? Whats the point of the vote system? You should feel lucky you dont know anyone that has AIDS, im glad I dont know anyone.

Oh, and grow up will you!
If you were trying to be funny you failed badly.

Last edited:

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Wonder if they will ever release a purple one or allow you to custom design your own that would be pretty sick.

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
Awww....why the negativity. Anything done to help is worthwhile.

In theory, they could donate to AIDs without turning your device a gaudy red.
Colors are colors, they don't act as symbols besides exposing your taste.

Sometimes it's for breast cancer...
But there's some dumb people that just love pink.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.