Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I don’t see a proper reason to disable those security updates as the article says

Edit 1: lmao broke most devices uninstall lol

And now Facebook is giving me an unsupported browser error. Was working fine before.

Disabled extensions and ran Onyx to clean things out. No change.

Next to FB, this RSR also ‘broke’ the ability to use WA-web on my iPad Air

same here
The rapid security responses can be removed.
Settings>General>About>iOS Version should have the option to remove security response.
Remove it, restart and see if that fixes your issue.

a3Dman

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2022
Sure, but if it is a real widespread issue, it’s more than likely Apple is going to pull it and re-release it with a fix.
Not sure if they will fix it or be like everyone should update their websites to parse their non-standard version with a letter between parentheses...

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
That's not possible as some security updates impact programs that are loaded in memory. A restart makes sure that the system loads the proper version in memory.
Well, that's why I said "if possible". If not possible, then there should be a mechanism for the phone to automatically restart at a designated time.

Pointillism

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2007
The Real Bay Area, CA
FWIW, I had some issues installing the Ventura update on my M2 Mac Studio. In my case, the system rebooted to a blank screen but I was able to get into recovery mode to do a filesystem check once I restarted the computer which came up clean. Rebooting once again brought me back to a system with the RSR already installed. Odd.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Protip:
Enable "Show Develop menu in menu bar" from Safari Settings under Advanced tab, then from the Develop menu change the user agent to Chrome macOS and it will work again.
Nope. Just tried it. Goes from the mobile version to a stretched out version just as bad as the mobile site.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
Can I install the iOS RSR from the Finder with the iPhone connected to my Mac via a Lightning cable? The update isn’t showing up. The question I have, whether this is a “not yet” or “never.” Maybe RSRs can only be installed directly on the phone, but not through the Finder.

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 3.08.53 PM.png

Meanwhile the phone showed this:
IMG_2498.PNG

… and now the Finder shows this:
Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 3.14.58 PM.png

My conclusion is that the RSR cannot be installed from the Finder.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This is good, but Apple need to work on a way for RSRs to NOT require a restart if possible. Even better would be automatic background installation with no restart, or a restart scheduled for the middle of the night (e.g., 3 AM). Having to chase people to get them to update their phones is a real drag.
They are not chasing and there is an option to install and reboot the phone later.

Reactions: CarlJ

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
You can get Facebook to work with Safari by changing the user agent to Firefox or Chrome in the Develop > Agent Menu. Presumably, Facebook needs to update something to recognize this 16.5.2 (a) as supported.
If you read my response, that is not a fix. It gives you the same garbage website as mobil only stretched out. Not a solution by any means.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.