Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roger6106

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
Not sure if they will fix it or be like everyone should update their websites to parse their non-standard version with a letter between parentheses...
They shouldn't be parsing this to determine browser support. That is a dated approach that breaks browsers that work fine, as seen here. Instead, the modern* approach is to do feature detection.

* To be clear, I don't mean modern as in recent. This has been the recommended practice for many years already.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
And now Facebook is giving me an unsupported browser error. Was working fine before.

Disabled extensions and ran Onyx to clean things out. No change.
Same here, no massive loss at the moment. I assume it'll be fixed at some point - I also couldn't log on to instagram via a browser either, not sure if that's related (user agent change fixed Facebook as a temp measure).

Last edited:

DrKarl

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010
Montana
Same Facebook problem reported early on in this thread. Since nobody had posted a screenshot of the issue... and the redirected URL, here's that for posterity:

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 3.09.09 PM.jpg

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
I must say I am impressed by the progress they did from “could not download” for several hours to 1,4 - 2,8 MB size download and restart in very short time.

About Facebook- probably they exploited it as they do on every single site with tracking pixels and all background user tracking

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
This is good, but Apple need to work on a way for RSRs to NOT require a restart if possible. Even better would be automatic background installation with no restart, or a restart scheduled for the middle of the night (e.g., 3 AM). Having to chase people to get them to update their phones is a real drag.

Any time there is a reboot it means the kernel was patched.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

Apple today released Rapid Security Response (RSR) updates that are available for iPhone and iPad users running the iOS and iPadOS 16.5.1 updates and the macOS Ventura 13.4.1 update.

Rapid-Security-Response-Feature-1.1.jpg

Rapid Security Response updates are designed to provide iOS and macOS users with security fixes without the need to install a full software update. Today's updates address an actively exploited WebKit vulnerability, so it is a good idea to update as soon as possible.

iOS Security Response 16.5.1 is available through the standard Software Update mechanism in the iPhone or iPad Settings app, but is a quick update, requiring just a couple of minutes to download the update and then a quick restart for the install process. The macOS update can be installed through System Settings.

Once the Rapid Security Response update is installed, iOS 16.5.1 users and macOS Ventura 13.4.1 users will see an updated version of the software, and tapping on the version in the About section of Settings will display information about the installed OS version and the Rapid Security Response update. Those who want to disable Rapid Security Response updates on iPhone can do so by following our how to. The updates can also be disabled on the Mac.

Apple has been testing the Rapid Security Response feature since last year, with RSRs first introduced with the launch of iOS 16 and macOS Ventura.

Article Link: Apple Releases Rapid Security Response Updates for iOS 16.5.1 and macOS 13.4.1 to Fix Actively Exploited Vulnerability
Know Facebook on Safari no longer works properly. I get this message eveyrtime I log on. I DO NOT want to use Firefox or Chrome. I only use these browsers if I am forced too.

1689024593991.png

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
build numbers:

Ventura 13.4.1 (a) 22F770820b (pre WWDC 2023 macs)

Ventura 13.4.1 (a) 22F770830b (for WWDC 2023 macs)

iOS 16.5.1 (a) 20F770750b

iPad 16.5.1 (a) 20F770750b

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

lkrupp

Suspended
Jul 24, 2004
And now Facebook is giving me an unsupported browser error. Was working fine before.

Disabled extensions and ran Onyx to clean things out. No change.
And as you should know by now RSRs are removable. Have you tried removing the RSR update?

lkrupp

Suspended
Jul 24, 2004
Safari version is now 16.5.2 (a) after the update, that's why it's reporting problems on number of websites I suspected.
For me it’s only Facebook that defaults to the mobile version. Every other website I visit is normal. I suspect Facebook is the one who needs to adjust their code.

lkrupp

Suspended
Jul 24, 2004

macOS Ventura 13.4.1 (a)​

Released July 10, 2023
WebKit
Available for: macOS Ventura 13.4.1
Impact: Processing web content may lead to arbitrary code execution. Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited.
Description: The issue was addressed with improved checks.
CVE-2023-37450: an anonymous researcher

So this has to do with webkit. I think it’s Facebook that will have to be addressing this, not Apple. Who knows what kind of games Facebook plays with its website. Apple may have just closed one of their doors into your data.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Since I updated my MacBook air with this safari is acting funny.

When I go on Facebook it now says it's an unsupported browser. Anyone got any solutions?

Don MC

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
Finland
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.