Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new version of the 1.0.276 firmware designed for AirTags, which is a revision to the update that was made available in June.

airtag-in-hand.jpg

The new AirTags 1.0.276 firmware has a build number of 1A287b, while the old firmware had a build number of 1A276d. The 1.0.276 firmware that came out in June added anti-stalking security enhancements, and this new version likely just refines these features.

Because the firmware version has not changed, it is not possible to tell the new firmware from the old firmware in the Find My app, nor will it be apparent when the firmware of the AirTags has been updated.

There is no way to force an AirTag update, because it's something that's done over-the-air through a connected iPhone. To make sure the update happens, you can put your AirTag in range of your iPhone, but you have to wait for the firmware to roll out to your device.

You can check your current AirTag firmware version through the Find My app.

Article Link: Apple Releases Revised AirTag Firmware Update

dadiy

macrumors regular
May 27, 2010
Well, I didn't get the update at all so did I miss a story saying that the previous one was yanked? I put my keys next to my iPhone whilst charging the phone overnight for ages and still no update.
Yep. Me too. None of mine have updated or my friends either.

gfurry

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
I am waiting for the family sharing update so my airtags will actually be useful to someone besides me. While I appreciate the stalking feature they make airtags infinitely less useful when an item is stolen. If someone wants to stalk you there are 1,000's of other devices already available. It doesn't make sense to alert a thief they are being tracked by an airtag. Please Apple make this an optional feature.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Interesting that the build numbers end with a letter, which usually indicates a beta firmware, as it has been historically with iOS and macOS.

itsmeaustend

Suspended
Apr 27, 2016
This is pretty lit! I'm seeing kind of poor battery life on my launch day AirTags (down to 50% of battery already) and I assume this is going to help fix it!
That's really abnormal. I have 8 Airtags from launch day and all of them are at 100% battery still. I use them a lot and also have iOS 15's left behind alerts enabled.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
Temecula, CA
funny, I had jut checked yesterday as the previous update didn't happen and jut now it is updated!
I can only guess that this new update fixed update issues as well :)

katbel

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2009
Today I got the update: probably the last because I never got the first one ?

God of Biscuits

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
I hadn't used or moved my AirTag in a long time; it had the 1.0.225 firmware. I left it next to my iPhone and a couple minutes later, 1.0.276! that was easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.