Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

newitunes122logo-250x245.jpg
Apple today released an updated and revised version of iTunes 12.6.1, which was originally released alongside the macOS Sierra 10.12.5 update on Monday, May 15.

The new version of iTunes is 12.6.1.27, while the previous version was 12.6.1.25. It's not clear why Apple has released a new minor update to iTunes 12.6.1, but it presumably includes some unspecified bug fix.

According to the release notes, the update "includes minor app and performance improvements." These are the same generic release notes that were included in the first iTunes 12.6.1 release.

The new version of iTunes 12.6.1 can be downloaded for free using the Software Update function in the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Releases Revised Version of iTunes 12.6.1

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Any word in whether this fixes the bug where old (often years old) tracks would show up in Recently Added as being added "Today"? Each time you restart iTunes the same random albums show up in the "Today" section. Bug was introduced with iTunes 12.5 I believe. Apple has promised a fix.

Reactions: marioguarneros

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Oh FFS, Apple. Again?!

There are bugs that require fire drill releases, but at least have the decency to note what they are, allow users to decide for themselves whether to update, and increment the version number enough so that people aren't confused.

ShufromChina

macrumors regular
May 23, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I supposed it's for fixing the "HDCP" content errors? After the update on May 15th, my brand new MBP keeps giving me the "cannot play HDCP content on the connected display" error when playing purchased items on iTunes, even when I'm connect to nothing at all. Called Apple support, no solution. Could only schedule me a store visit. I say screw that, let me do a clean factory reset. Solved the problem.

Reactions: George Dawes

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I was having some nasty graphical glitches earlier today where the playlist sidebar would be replaced by black stripes, hopefully this fixes that.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's time to design and write iTunes completely from scratch because as of now it is just a big mess which isn't very intuitive as the rest of the software from Apple.

This. And you're completely correct. It's in need of a refresh and allow it to be more user friendly. It's just distorted and scattered. I'm in hopes this will rectified eventually.

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
It's time to design and write iTunes completely from scratch because as of now it is just a big mess which isn't very intuitive as the rest of the software from Apple.
Because that worked so well for iMovie Pro, sorry, FCP.
[doublepost=1495587409][/doublepost]
Since the last update, iTunes was crashing as soon as I tried to launch it. It's now finally fixed.
Finally a useful comment. Sorry about the early adopter experience.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
iTunes has become nothing more than a glorified browser for me. And Steve Jobs once said web-based music stores were not the way to go. Now that's all iTunes is.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
(Since I haven't seen this comment on this MR post) Wow. Can't believe Tim Cook! They can't even get iTunes right! Blah blah. Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave!

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
This is good news, the initial 12.6.1 update broke my SD card library, so I hope this fixes it.
I was getting the error message: The file “iTunes Library.itl” does not appear to be a valid iTunes library file. iTunes has created a new iTunes library and renamed this file to “iTunes Library (Damaged)”.
It happened after Genius was being updated. I'll check if it is fixed shortly.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
This. And you're completely correct. It's in need of a refresh and allow it to be more user friendly. It's just distorted and scattered. I'm in hopes this will rectified eventually.

Be careful what you wish for--FCP X, for example, as others have mentioned, but I'd also add AirPort Utility 6 (not even sure if they plan on making any more of these devices but as long as it's the only way to manage the newer ones, I'm going to have to buy something else when it's time).

I don't actually find iTunes 12 that awkward, except that sometimes it takes me a few tries to get where I want--or back to where I came from--when I'm managing app updates and device backup and synchronization (I still do mine via USB). I'm not sure if it's an improvement from older versions (much easier to see all connected devices, for example), and I'm sure they could do better, but I'm not sure I'd exactly wish for them to do a rewrite, given their history. :)

Reactions: David G. and jb-net
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.