Apple Releases Revised Version of iTunes 12.6.1

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 23, 2017.

1. fhall1 macrumors 68040

Dec 18, 2007
    (Central) NY State of mind
    Still not showing up as an update in the MAS for me, but downloaded/installed from the iTunes page and it is the .27 version.
  2. dantracht macrumors 6502

Sep 19, 2013
    Silly question: would I have to uninstall what I have on my mbp to install that, and is it worth downloading?
  3. Mike Haas macrumors newbie

Aug 7, 2014
    I logged a call with Apple last weekend. I lost the ability to play purchased movies and TV Shows on my iMac when I upgraded to 12.6.0. I downgraded to 12.5.5, went through all sorts of recommended troubleshooting (logging in and out, de-authorizing/re-authorizing, etc.) and even restored via Time Machine to an installation prior to when the trouble started - NOTHING would resolve it. After logging back into Apple Chat with a third technician I was told that it was an issue affecting a significant number of users (the last chat guy told me it was because I'd removed Pepperflash and that Apple's content required Safari (I use Chrome) to have Pepperflash installed - I played along because he wouldn't get off the subject and naturally, it did bupkis to resolve the issue. Anyway, the 3rd guy told me Apple Engineers were working diligently to resolve the issue but of course, he couldn't give me any details.

I'm going to hunt down this update - it's not showing in the App Store here in Germany - and see if it resolves this. I'm going to use Tuneskit to convert the last movie I purchased that I didn't have a chance to convert before the issue started and then I'm going to be DONE with Apple purchased content as this isn't the first time this has happened. Tuneskit will presently only convert the audio. I should mention that my purchased content plays fine in iTunes running in Windows under VMware, and also on my Apple TV 3 and 4. I'll write back if this resolves the issue.
  4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

Dec 18, 2007
    (Central) NY State of mind
    No - I just ran the install .pkg with the previous version in place. Since we don't know what it fixes, who knows if it's worth the effort.
  5. nt5672 macrumors 65816

Jun 30, 2007
    Upping the version number probably hits someone performance metric, or gives a negative marketing message. Screw users that care about this, they are not Apple's focus any more.
  6. j238 macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2006
    You shouldn't have to uninstall anything. Seems like the rollout is still in progress. I'd wait until the MAS update process is available, unless you are certain the new version has a fix which is critical for you.
  7. Mike Haas macrumors newbie

Aug 7, 2014
    I wasn't particularly hopeful. I downloaded, installed, logged out, restarted, logged back into iTunes - it did not resolve this issue. If anyone has any other ideas...well, I'll bet I've tried them, but I'd be willing to try just about anything.
  8. benji888 macrumors 68000

Sep 27, 2006
    United States
    Really? I have .25, it says I'm up to date. (I even tried "check for updates..." from the iTunes menu.)

How many people have actually been able to do this?
  9. iapplelove macrumors 68040

Nov 22, 2011
    East Coast USA
    So far I have been unsuccessful in downloading the updated version.
  10. redheeler macrumors 603

Oct 17, 2014
  11. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

May 17, 2008
    I am tired of the constant updates of the post 2010 internet...

It seems everytime you updated 300mb+ app there is a new updated that comes out,
    most of the time you notice nothing different, and sometimes you lose a feature or your settings get reset.

There was a time when an updated meant something good... not a chore
  12. Anna Leif macrumors member

Jan 3, 2015

I had the same issue a few days ago and got round it by downloading the update (12.6.1, not the most recent revised update) from the Apple website. The App Store update kept downloading and then reporting that it had deleted itself and that consequently the install had failed.

Hope this helps if you get stuck :)

13. sos47, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017

sos47 macrumors regular

Jul 13, 2016
    hope, i can bookmark my playlists over all of my devices
  14. Miat macrumors 6502

Jul 13, 2012
    I have several, and it still says the update needs to be installed.

Also, it was a background (forced) download, despite my App Store settings saying don't do background downloads. Not happy with that. Messed up some other downloads I was in the middle of.

Borked this one, Apple.
  15. ignatius345 macrumors 6502a

Aug 20, 2015
    Hear hear. My wish list is breaking it out into something like

- a full-featured media manager/player app. I guess with Apple Music built in? I don't use Apple Music, but it seems like it wants to be alongside wherever you play and manage your own downloaded music files.

- an app to sync, back up, and manage iOS and other Apple devices.

- an iTunes Store app for purchasing and renting media

Obviously all of these would tie into each other, but the UIs could be really cleaned up once iTunes stops being one of these:

16. v1597psh macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2014
    Are you getting it?... These are not three separate apps!... This is one app! And we are calling it... iTunes!
  17. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

Oct 13, 2011
    Brooklyn NY
    Then they tell you to leave feedback that is ignored. I now hate the word feedback.
  18. The Weatherman macrumors member

Sep 13, 2016
  19. LinusR macrumors regular

Jan 3, 2011
    There is a difference between ignoring feedback and taking it into account but not decide in their favour.
  20. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Jul 29, 2002
    Vancouver, BC CANADA
    The Mac App Store is Apple's worst piece of software ever. I can't believe they've let it go this long. Poor design, poor user interaction. I've seen this double-entry many times over the years with different software updates.

The latest iTunes has not yet shown up for me.
  21. Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

Dec 12, 2012
    Head of a pin
    Yeah... Think twice. ;)
  22. triptolemus macrumors 6502

Apr 17, 2011
  23. Macyourdayy macrumors regular

Sep 9, 2011
    Your avatar reminds me of the good old days, before they removed things that were useful and worked (finder/save window states, text navigation shortcuts, the "LED" cpu display - not the original 10.0 cpu display, Safari and kernal_task not eating all the RAM, etc, etc).
  24. tkermit macrumors 68040

Feb 20, 2004
    Why would you voluntarily concede almost two decades in development time that was spent implementing features and fixing bugs? Rewriting from scratch would mean a massive loss of features and likely result in more, not fewer bugs or UI quirks for the foreseeable future. Even just to get AppleScripting up to the currently supported level would probably take years if it happened at all.