Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
Still not showing up as an update in the MAS for me, but downloaded/installed from the iTunes page and it is the .27 version.
Silly question: would I have to uninstall what I have on my mbp to install that, and is it worth downloading?

Mike Haas

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2014
I logged a call with Apple last weekend. I lost the ability to play purchased movies and TV Shows on my iMac when I upgraded to 12.6.0. I downgraded to 12.5.5, went through all sorts of recommended troubleshooting (logging in and out, de-authorizing/re-authorizing, etc.) and even restored via Time Machine to an installation prior to when the trouble started - NOTHING would resolve it. After logging back into Apple Chat with a third technician I was told that it was an issue affecting a significant number of users (the last chat guy told me it was because I'd removed Pepperflash and that Apple's content required Safari (I use Chrome) to have Pepperflash installed - I played along because he wouldn't get off the subject and naturally, it did bupkis to resolve the issue. Anyway, the 3rd guy told me Apple Engineers were working diligently to resolve the issue but of course, he couldn't give me any details.

I'm going to hunt down this update - it's not showing in the App Store here in Germany - and see if it resolves this. I'm going to use Tuneskit to convert the last movie I purchased that I didn't have a chance to convert before the issue started and then I'm going to be DONE with Apple purchased content as this isn't the first time this has happened. Tuneskit will presently only convert the audio. I should mention that my purchased content plays fine in iTunes running in Windows under VMware, and also on my Apple TV 3 and 4. I'll write back if this resolves the issue.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Oh yah. Completely incomprehensible to me why Apple won't change the version number. It's as if they intentionally want to confuse their users. More and more, I'm getting disenchanted with Apple's absurd antics.

Upping the version number probably hits someone performance metric, or gives a negative marketing message. Screw users that care about this, they are not Apple's focus any more.

j238

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2006
Silly question: would I have to uninstall what I have on my mbp to install that, and is it worth downloading?

You shouldn't have to uninstall anything. Seems like the rollout is still in progress. I'd wait until the MAS update process is available, unless you are certain the new version has a fix which is critical for you.

Mike Haas

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2014
I logged a call with Apple last weekend. I lost the ability to play purchased movies and TV Shows on my iMac when I upgraded to 12.6.0. I downgraded to 12.5.5, went through all sorts of recommended troubleshooting (logging in and out, de-authorizing/re-authorizing, etc.) and even restored via Time Machine to an installation prior to when the trouble started - NOTHING would resolve it. After logging back into Apple Chat with a third technician I was told that it was an issue affecting a significant number of users (the last chat guy told me it was because I'd removed Pepperflash and that Apple's content required Safari (I use Chrome) to have Pepperflash installed - I played along because he wouldn't get off the subject and naturally, it did bupkis to resolve the issue. Anyway, the 3rd guy told me Apple Engineers were working diligently to resolve the issue but of course, he couldn't give me any details.

I'm going to hunt down this update - it's not showing in the App Store here in Germany - and see if it resolves this. I'm going to use Tuneskit to convert the last movie I purchased that I didn't have a chance to convert before the issue started and then I'm going to be DONE with Apple purchased content as this isn't the first time this has happened. Tuneskit will presently only convert the audio. I should mention that my purchased content plays fine in iTunes running in Windows under VMware, and also on my Apple TV 3 and 4. I'll write back if this resolves the issue.

I wasn't particularly hopeful. I downloaded, installed, logged out, restarted, logged back into iTunes - it did not resolve this issue. If anyone has any other ideas...well, I'll bet I've tried them, but I'd be willing to try just about anything.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I'm seeing double...
iTunes 12.6.1.png

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I am tired of the constant updates of the post 2010 internet...

It seems everytime you updated 300mb+ app there is a new updated that comes out,
most of the time you notice nothing different, and sometimes you lose a feature or your settings get reset.

There was a time when an updated meant something good... not a chore

Reactions: tonyr6

Anna Leif

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2015

Hello,

I had the same issue a few days ago and got round it by downloading the update (12.6.1, not the most recent revised update) from the Apple website. The App Store update kept downloading and then reporting that it had deleted itself and that consequently the install had failed.

Hope this helps if you get stuck :)

Anna

sos47

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2016
hope, i can bookmark my playlists over all of my devices

Last edited:

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
I have several, and it still says the update needs to be installed.

Also, it was a background (forced) download, despite my App Store settings saying don't do background downloads. Not happy with that. Messed up some other downloads I was in the middle of.

Borked this one, Apple.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
This. And you're completely correct. It's in need of a refresh and allow it to be more user friendly. It's just distorted and scattered. I'm in hopes this will rectified eventually.
Hear hear. My wish list is breaking it out into something like

- a full-featured media manager/player app. I guess with Apple Music built in? I don't use Apple Music, but it seems like it wants to be alongside wherever you play and manage your own downloaded music files.

- an app to sync, back up, and manage iOS and other Apple devices.

- an iTunes Store app for purchasing and renting media

Obviously all of these would tie into each other, but the UIs could be really cleaned up once iTunes stops being one of these:

91EzEngj77L._SX466_.jpg

Reactions: benji888

v1597psh

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
London
Hear hear. My wish list is breaking it out into something like

- a full-featured media manager/player app. I guess with Apple Music built in? I don't use Apple Music, but it seems like it wants to be alongside wherever you play and manage your own downloaded music files.

- an app to sync, back up, and manage iOS and other Apple devices.

- an iTunes Store app for purchasing and renting media

Obviously all of these would tie into each other, but the UIs could be really cleaned up once iTunes stops being one of these:

91EzEngj77L._SX466_.jpg
Are you getting it?... These are not three separate apps!... This is one app! And we are calling it... iTunes!

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
It seems everytime you updated 300mb+ app there is a new updated that comes out,
most of the time you notice nothing different, and sometimes you lose a feature or your settings get reset.
Then they tell you to leave feedback that is ignored. I now hate the word feedback.

LinusR

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Then they tell you to leave feedback that is ignored. I now hate the word feedback.

There is a difference between ignoring feedback and taking it into account but not decide in their favour.

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
This is good news, the initial 12.6.1 update broke my SD card library, so I hope this fixes it.
I was getting the error message: The file “iTunes Library.itl” does not appear to be a valid iTunes library file. iTunes has created a new iTunes library and renamed this file to “iTunes Library (Damaged)”.
It happened after Genius was being updated. I'll check if it is fixed shortly.
Your avatar reminds me of the good old days, before they removed things that were useful and worked (finder/save window states, text navigation shortcuts, the "LED" cpu display - not the original 10.0 cpu display, Safari and kernal_task not eating all the RAM, etc, etc).

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
It's time to design and write iTunes completely from scratch
Why would you voluntarily concede almost two decades in development time that was spent implementing features and fixing bugs? Rewriting from scratch would mean a massive loss of features and likely result in more, not fewer bugs or UI quirks for the foreseeable future. Even just to get AppleScripting up to the currently supported level would probably take years if it happened at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.