Apple Releases Revised Version of iTunes 12.6.1

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 23, 2017.

1. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Well I had an odd issue with my mac last night, iTunes wasn't responding and I couldn't switch out of it, couldn't force quit, had to shut down manually, so I went to above mentioned URL and downloaded .27, hopefully it won't disable my computer again.

Apple really should push the update through software update, but maybe 12.6.2 is eminent.

With apple bringing iTunes to windows 10 App Store, I wonder if we might actually see a revamp of it at WWDC? It is well overdue. I personally like ignatus345's idea of breaking iTunes out into several apps. Why not? iBooks used to be integrated into iTunes, it's separate but you can still manage your iBooks when syncing iOS devices via iTunes.

2. dantracht macrumors regular

dantracht

This update never showed up on either of my MBP's, so I'm going to leave well enough alone.

3. macpeach55 macrumors 6502

macpeach55

Same for me - nothing on the iMac, MBP or MBA. Could be it was specifically needed for only certain devices of certain configurations, & so only pushed out to them. like you, if I (apparently) don't need it, I don't need it :)

4. dantracht macrumors regular

dantracht

Yeah, everything is fine on both my Mac's, so why mess with it?

5. davidjmarks macrumors newbie

iTunes 12.6.1.27 does not fix my issues. The upgrade of MacOs to 10.12.5 included iTunes 12.6.1.25. When I opened iTunes most of the artwork for the icons for my albums and my apps would not display even though Get Info shows the artwork. I am not used to not having artwork for apps display. Additionally many of my songs indicate with an exclamation point badge and show an alert that the file cannot be found when I click to play, but they play anyway. Then the exclamation point badge goes away. The ApStore does not show an update for me. iTunes said I am up to date. However, I manually download and installed iTunes 12.6.1.27. No change. I posted a question about this on an Apple forum. No reply. This is very annoying and not up to Apple's usual standards.

iTunes need to be broken up into several apps: Music Store, App Store, Podcast Store, Movie/TV Store, Music Player, Movie/TV Player, Apple Music, Apple Radio.

6. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

I favor transparency, informative clarity, consideration, and user responsibility. I've been around computers long enough to know that not every update is applicable, absolutely required, nor necessarily desirable. I'm also familiar enough with software development to know what build numbers, nightlies, etc., are.

Apple's MO in this situation lacks the first two elements, which hinders users from exercising the latter two. "Trust us." I don't give blind faith to anything or anyone, especially when it involves software. I retain that choice, and am prepared to accept the consequences. Those who do not can set their update preferences differently.

Additionally, their practice introduces uncertainty, and potential confusion. I, and others here may know of the newer build number, but what about the grandparents and other laymen wondering "I thought I just updated to 12.6.1? What is it asking me to do so again?" It can and has resulted in confusion even for tech-savvy users.

Using build numbers is fine for developers and testers, not for users at large.

I've jumped off the feverish "update train" in favor of stability and caution, while not compromising fundamentals like security. You won't find me boasting of running iOS 6 or 10.6 on my machines and ignoring important patches. Plus, as Apple user households already know, it can be a chore to update all the phones, iPads, watches, TVs, and Macs every time Apple unloads their pile of new versions. Then another mysterious update appears a week later. What? Why? People don't have time for this and try to guess what's going on as well.

This could easily be avoided by being a little more forthcoming and informative in the release notes ("this update addresses blah blah blah, for these users blah blah blah") and incrementing the version number in a more meaningful and discernible way. It's not a hard ask, and something Apple has done in the past, and something responsible developers practice.

7. br jude macrumors newbie

br jude

--- Post Merged, May 26, 2017 ---
    yes mine says the same thing but my iTunes keeps freezing after like 10 songs when I play it. I'm trying to figure out what is going on. I have iTunes 12.6.1.25... help!