Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macOS Big Sur didn't launch alongside iOS 14, iPadOS 14, tvOS 14, and watchOS 7 today, with the update coming later this fall, but Apple did release the Safari 14 update for macOS Catalina and macOS Mojave users.

safari-big-sur.jpg

Safari 14 brings improved performance, customizable start pages, a Privacy Report to see which cross-site trackers are being blocked, and a new tab bar design that provides tab previews so you can see what you have open at a glance. Today's update also removes Adobe Flash. Apple's release notes for Safari 14 are below:
Safari 14.0 introduces new features, even faster performance, and improved security.
- New tab bar design shows more tabs on screen and displays favicons by default
- Customizable start page allows you to set a background image and add new sections
- Privacy Report shows cross-site trackers that are being blocked by Intelligent Tracking Prevention
- Removes support for Adobe Flash for improved security
Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices.
For detailed information on the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
The new Safari 14 update can be downloaded by opening up System Preferences and choosing the Software Update option.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari 14 for Mac Ahead of macOS Big Sur Launch

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I guess this means Big Sur may not be coming as soon as we'd like. Otherwise, not sure why Apple would rush out a separate Safari update instead of waiting for the core OS update.

Is 4K YouTube a macOS Big Sur or Safari 14 feature?

Might be hardware related so needs to be an OS level feature vs. just Safari.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Apple updated the Catalina full installer to include the last supplemental update which was on Aug 12.
Yeah, that was then, but Safari isn't going to get rolled in. This will be just like the Safari 13 updates which were separate in Mojave.

HenryFSU

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2015
Orlando, FL
Even beta was last updated 2 weeks ago, and that may seem the "norm", but they never updated Big Sur beta as much as iOS or iPadOs (or WatchOS, or TvOS......)

• Angry
Reactions: GadgetBen

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
Even beta was last updated 2 weeks ago, and that may seem the "norm", but they never updated Big Sur beta as much as iOS or iPadOs (or WatchOS, or TvOS......)

You do realise that we posted at the same time. I know that you might not understand this.

• Haha
Reactions: HenryFSU

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Guess I better binge watch Homestar Runner tonight before downloading the update.
It's not as interactive, but they put most of it on DVD years ago.

Homestar Runner was the only good use of Flash ever.

I'd like to see them work with someone to convert all of it from Flash to, well, anything else, really - HTML/CSS/JavaScript, perhaps?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
just installed on my iMac running Mojave.
Have been using the Big sur public beta on my MBP and haven enjoyed the new Safari ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.