Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming update to tvOS, the new operating system that runs on the fourth-generation Apple TV. Today's tvOS beta marks the first major software update to tvOS 9.0, a final version of which was released alongside the new Apple TV. The first beta of tvOS 9.1 was seeded to developers last week.

The second tvOS beta is available as an over-the-air update to those who have installed the first beta. Installing an initial tvOS beta is a more involved process than installing a beta update for iOS or OS X. The update requires the Apple TV to be connected to a computer with a USB-C to USB-A cable, with the software downloaded and installed via iTunes.

tvos_9_1_beta_2_720.jpg

We don't yet know exactly what is included in the new version of tvOS, as most changes thus far appear to be under-the-hood updates. Apple's release notes for the update include references to networking and scrolling tweaks, and it's likely tvOS 9.1 will include fixes for bugs and issues that have been discovered in the software since the Apple TV's official launch.

We will include any other external facing changes below.

Article Link: Apple Releases Second Beta of tvOS 9.1 to Developers

Reactions: appledefenceforce

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
Haven´t got one of these yet, but I´d like for them to update the remote app to be compatible with this device. I was surprised when I read this wasn´t the case!

Reactions: darthpocobrea

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Firmware update for 4K than I will upgrade to ATV until than Apple you better have updates for ATV3.

jklps

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2007
Haven´t got one of these yet, but I´d like for them to update the remote app to be compatible with this device. I was surprised when I read this wasn´t the case!
Can somebody please explain to me what is so great about using an iPad or iPhone as a remote for the Apple Tv? I just don't get it - why do I want to tie up another device to control another unless that is the only way I can stream audio/video I want to hear?

Reactions: Shoesy

BMox81

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
People just need to let go with this hope for an update for the Remote App. Apple
clearly want everyone using the new remote for everything now. At £65, I'd want you to as well!

The sooner everyone accepts that then the sooner you can get on with your lives.

Reactions: 2010mini

cubsnlinux

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2015
People just need to let go with this hope for an update for the Remote App. Apple
clearly want everyone using the new remote for everything now. At £65, I'd want you to as well!

The sooner everyone accepts that then the sooner you can get on with your lives.
I don't understand this logic. The physical remote comes with the Apple TV. So how does the remote app cannibalize anything?

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Can somebody please explain to me what is so great about using an iPad or iPhone as a remote for the Apple Tv? I just don't get it - why do I want to tie up another device to control another unless that is the only way I can stream audio/video I want to hear?

One use case is for music without having to turn the TV on. If you have HDMI hooked up to a receiver, you can select music from your iOS device from the remote app and play it with just the receiver on. Having the TV on for listening to music is absurd.

Reactions: DEXTERITY and NMBob

darthpocobrea

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2015
I have 2 of the new ATV4s and was very annoyed when I found out that my beloved remote app no longer worked, primarily because I used it to control content from my fairly extensive local iTunes library. But then I discovered the Plex app for ATV4, which has a companion iOS app that allows me to use my phone as a remote control for manipulating content from the Plex server, not unlike the Apple remote app. It took a little while to download, install, and populate the Plex server on my MBP, but I'm glad I did.

Granted, this does not solve the other big problem of not being able to use the Apple remote app to key in passwords when setting up the ATV4, but at least it helps.

I still hold out hope that we'll get a new/updated remote app from Apple for the ATV4.

Reactions: hagr182

wunderboy

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2008

Text entry is way easier with the remote app. That was the only thing I would use it for. However, I didn't grab for it much and the ONLY time I have missed it was on setting up the new ATV4 because of the amount of text entry you had to do for initial setup.

I have a feeling that Apple is going a different direction on this. Probably with voice text entry or just plain voice searching. I have a Harmony Hub based remote and pretty much use that exclusively so always need to grab ATV4 remote for Siri stuff.

I have wondered now that I have X1 from Xfinity and ATV4 both with voice features, if Harmony or other universal remote manufactures will add this in as a hardware feature?

jklps

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2007
One use case is for music without having to turn the TV on. If you have HDMI hooked up to a receiver, you can select music from your iOS device from the remote app and play it with just the receiver on. Having the TV on for listening to music is absurd.
I do this all the time. Spotify or any other music application -> Airplay to Apple Tv -> Receiver.

I can still do things on my phone, watch tv and listen to music or a podcast.

I guess if all your music is still in iTunes this is a problem. I guess I don't use iTunes all that much anymore.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I know it is likely the content providers fault, but how great would it be to have a sign in option under settings where you could select your cable provider, log in, and it would be applied to all of the apps you download? I feel like this wouldn't be too difficult to implement, but I am guessing the content providers don't want this for some reason?

Reactions: rantor49

devilsnj30

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Crazy thought, could we do a petition to Apple to allow bluetooth keyboards or make the app work with it?

jklps

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2007
I know it is likely the content providers fault, but how great would it be to have a sign in option under settings where you could select your cable provider, log in, and it would be applied to all of the apps you download? I feel like this wouldn't be too difficult to implement, but I am guessing the content providers don't want this for some reason?
This is both a good and bad idea. Some people use different logins for different content providers....

Reactions: 2010mini

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015

The keyboard

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
I don't understand this logic. The physical remote comes with the Apple TV. So how does the remote app cannibalize anything?

If you break the remote, you need a new one. Key facts: the remote is made of glass and a new one costs an eye popping $79. You can find victims of this already in several threads.

SlipperySlop

Suspended
Sep 14, 2015
It's an AppleTv article, so everyone that doesn't want to buy one, commence with letting us know why you personally don't like it. Bonus points for letting everyone know how Apple is going down hill fast.

Most excellent and very true.

Is it save to assume that tvOS 9.1 is based on iOS 9.2?
No

Firmware update for 4K than I will upgrade to ATV until than Apple you better have updates for ATV3.

Won't happen. It's a hardware thing. And no more tv3 updates. I think you're out of luck here.

Release notes please! I can't deal with the non-sensical banter!
The banter is all there is. Never see release notes under these circumstances.

Crazy thought, could we do a petition to Apple to allow bluetooth keyboards or make the app work with it?

Absolutely you can do this.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Please sirs, just give me the trailers app back in Canada. That's all I want... shouldn't be too hard. i don't even need a remote app...

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
maybe more keyboards to choose from
to enter passwords or search on that 1 line keyboard is a little bit difficult
maybe add another one with iphone style and let us choose in settings which one we love the most or right for us

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.