Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Can somebody please explain to me what is so great about using an iPad or iPhone as a remote for the Apple Tv? I just don't get it - why do I want to tie up another device to control another unless that is the only way I can stream audio/video I want to hear?

Two reasons:
1) If it works, you can use the iPhone keyboard when you need to type.
This was incredibly convenient for the ATV3 and would be especially nice since they made the ATV4 screen keyboard worse.

2) When you misplace the tiny ATV remote, it's nice to have a backup remote.

Gary

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
Meh.... until networks start broadcasting 4K OTA on a regular basis this is all moot.
Netflix broadcasts 4K over WiFi. That should count.

I will second BT keyboards, though the setup with phone pairing was really nice. Still, there are times when nothing beats a keyboard.

And I really wish it was 4K.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
One use case is for music without having to turn the TV on. If you have HDMI hooked up to a receiver, you can select music from your iOS device from the remote app and play it with just the receiver on. Having the TV on for listening to music is absurd.

If you're using the remote app to play music then I'll assume the music is in your iTunes library or on your phone in the music app. If that's the case why not just AirPlay the music instead of using the remote app? You won't need to turn the tv on to AirPlay either.

Let's not try to make things so simple difficult. The remote app is not needed at all especially with the new Siri remote, swiping is fast and easy to navigate. The precise selection is still there if you tap the corners of the track pad. With AirPlay you can stream media directly to the Apple TV directly from which ever app you want.

Because Apple has spoiled you guys in the past with the remote app, you feel it is outrageous that the app has not yet been updated. The app is to compliment the product. It is not part of it. They will update the app when they feel like since it is not part of the product. It is not advertised on the Apple TV box or any of its documents as part of the product.

iAK

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2011
Netflix is crap compressed 4K ... have you ever seen real uncompressed 4k content - it's really nice.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Netflix broadcasts 4K over WiFi. That should count.

I will second BT keyboards, though the setup with phone pairing was really nice. Still, there are times when nothing beats a keyboard.

And I really wish it was 4K.

I would much rather Apple spend time giving us blu-Ray quality 1080p than compressed to hell 4K.

zeizei

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
I don't believe there will be a full-scale Remote app anymore, sorry. Instead, what could be possible (or what Apple should do!) is an implementation to input credentials with your iDevice. When an ATV app asks your crendentials, there would button like "Use my iPhone", press that and an input box pops in your iPhone screen. Not so hard Apple. I guess this is what most people complaining about the lack of the Remote app are actually looking after.

richman555

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
Collegeville, PA
Netflix is crap compressed 4K ... have you ever seen real uncompressed 4k content - it's really nice.

I agree, the 4K I have seen from Netflix is not as good as I have seen elsewhere.

Also, a good 4K TV with upscaling looks pretty darn good on the Apple TV at the present time.

Apple I believe is just wanting to solidify this new tvOS, have Siri better integrated, and allow the App market to take off.

I think once we see more 4K in the industry (been hearing about 4K blu ray for some time and have not seen it) Apple will have no choice but to support it.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Grab a free US iTunes account and you can download as many free apps as you want (no credit card or gift cards required). I have the Trailers app, HBO Now (Free trial), and the PBS app is outstanding.

To get a free US iTunes account without adding a payment method:

1. Log out of your iTunes Store account on your Mac, or the App Store account on your iOS device.

2. Switch iTunes/AppStore to the region you want (say US).

3. Download a free app and select "Create Account" when it asks for your login.

And Robert's your mother's brother.

Thank you for the walkthrough. Before I do this, is there any downside? Am I then going to lose all of my Canadian Apple Store privileges or something silly? Sorry for my ignorance.

Also, I assume then that the Apple TV will need to always be on the US account to get all the goodies? All of my bought movies will not be there, obviously...

MrTemple

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Canadian Pacific North Wilderness
Thank you for the walkthrough. Before I do this, is there any downside? Am I then going to lose all of my Canadian Apple Store privileges or something silly? Sorry for my ignorance.

Also, I assume then that the Apple TV will need to always be on the US account to get all the goodies? All of my bought movies will not be there, obviously...

No real downside. With the ATV4, it remembers your various App Store logins, so you can switch between them with one click (no login/pass required).

I have apps happily living side-by-side from the US, UK, and Canadian app stores. The apps themselves don't care which store I'm currently logged into.

A few differences I've noticed:

Obviously, the App Store app will be different depending on the account you're logged into. I'm not sure how this affects auto-updating of apps. At worst, you'd have to log-in (easily as mentioned above), but it might be more smooth than that. I have my auto-update turned off for now (just so I can see when apps update), so I can't confirm the behaviour.

Siri only 'knows' about stuff in your current region, because search is done on the server. So, if your US account is logged in (and your region is set to US, which it is automatically when you log it in), if you search for movies, it will search the US Netflix catalog (and HBO, etc if you have those apps). When the Canadian account is logged in, it shows movies/TV that are in the Canadian catalog.

I get US Netflix via Unblock-US and it doesn't care what account is logged in (it always shows the US catalog), but if I want Siri to show me when a movie is available on that US Netflix catalog, I have to make sure I've got the US account logged in (one-click under accounts does it).

This causes a bit of pain, as I prefer to download apps on the Canadian app-store (for paid apps, I have to, because it's the only account with a payment method). So whenever I want to browse the Canadian App Store, I have to log the Canadian account in. Not a big deal, but not perfect.

Likely, I'll stop obsessing over the App Store for new apps, or maybe more likely, I'll stop using Siri to search the Netflix catalog. In the mean time though, it's working pretty well. If this is all I have to deal with to get HBO/PBS/Trailers content from the US, and all the terrific free content from the UK, I'll count myself lucky.

Reactions: AppleInLVX

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
No real downside. With the ATV4, it remembers your various App Store logins, so you can switch between them with one click (no login/pass required)....

Thank you sir for your kind counsel. I'll give it a try. It'd be nice to get all that working without hooking up two devices. Seems that Apple sorta botched this one. I hope it's fixed (or in some way addressed) sooner than later. It'd be great to have BBC iPlayer, but I never considered this as a possibility. Will have to do more digging.

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.